UsaEqGurl

How do you pronounce Akhal Teke??

40 posts in this topic

I say it Ah-call-teek, but I could be wrong...

*this coming from the person who pronounced Nova Scotia (No-va Sco-sha) "No-va Scott-i-a" [Embarrassed]

I've always heard it pronounced "ackle teckie".

And this is from an Akhal Teke web site:

quote:

.....the proper pronunciation is TEH-keh and not "teek".

[smile]

[ 09-25-2006, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: rattusrat ]

It's ackle (like jackle without the j) techie (like a computer "techie" type person). This is how somebody I know who breeds them prnounced it.

[ 09-25-2006, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: e.s.dressage ]

quote:

Originally posted by e.s.dressage:

It's
ackle
(like jackle without the j)
techie
(like a computer "techie" type person). This is how somebody I know who breeds them prnounced it.

Agreed! I always said Ackel (tackle minus the 't'), teke (tech+ee, like 'tech'nology, teke)

AH-kul TEK-ee

(t)ackle techie

Great, now whenever I hear the name, I'm going to see the image of a lanky Russian horse with a fishing hat and pocket protector.

[Duh]

I watched a documentary about them, and the entire time they pronounced it "ah-kull Tay-kuh". Way off from what I've been calling them, but whatever(:

Lc I think that's what I would say too! Can't remember the name of it but I read a book when I was growing up where the kid in it called lipizzaners lip sneezers!

I've always heard it pronounced "ackle teckie".

me too.

I watched a documentary about them, and the entire time they pronounced it "ah-kull Tay-kuh".

That is probably the closest to the "truth."

Quoting: I've always heard it pronounced "ackle teckie".

Me three.........

Except I say "ay" at the end cuz I'm Canadian ay..........

Edited by Cactus Rose

Holy blast-from-the-past, BunnyMan! 2006 topic revived. LOL

This vvv made me LOL!

AH-kul TEK-ee

(t)ackle techie

Great, now whenever I hear the name, I'm going to see the image of a lanky Russian horse with a fishing hat and pocket protector.

Bwahahahahahaha !

I didn't notice that !

I DID just notice this was #1 post from the member. Doing a search on the horse breed?

Getting reading to post a spammish "shoes for sale link" ?

:winking:

hehe, totally relevant tho for me just now...i was questioning my pronunciation...

This totally fits for me

262996_529289217090073_1641420329_n.jpg

I've only heard it pronounce like Cactus said.

Speaking of seeing words but not hearing them, how is stifle pronounced for sure? I always thought it was with a short "i" like thistle, but I've heard it both that way and with the long "i".

hehe, totally relevant tho for me just now...i was questioning my pronunciation...

This totally fits for me

262996_529289217090073_1641420329_n.jpg

Teehee! I always had trouble with the word "colonel." WR, I've generally heard stifle pronounced with a long i. But I'm curious now too.

As for the Akhal Teke pronunciation, I don't have the slightest idea, but when we very first moved to California, there was a young one where we boarded. Very elegant horse, but almost giraffe-like. Her coat was absolutely breathtaking when summer came.

I had a cousin who was really inot horses and english riding that tried ot tell me one time (when were kids) that "cinch" was pronounced "kinch." I still laugh about that one!!!

Teehee! I always had trouble with the word "colonel.".

Do you know how long it took me to learn that "saw-ter" was the same thing as 'solder' when I'd been pronouncing it "sold-er" all my life? LOL

Around here its a 50/50 if people say 'cinch' or 'kinch'. To avoid confustion...i call it a girth! There are sooo manu more around here. Im just to tired to think of any more

Soooo, is it "chaps" with a "ch" sound or "shaps" with a "sh" sound? :happy0203:

I say the "sh" sound for chaps. It reminds me of the Spanish words 'chaparro' and 'chaparral', generally used to describe low growing shrubbery and the need for leg protections when riding, hence; chaps. So "sh" for me!

round here its "Ch" for Chaps and Cinch is said "sinch"

Another favorite of mine is lunge, lounge... like a dog might lunge at a car or a dog might lounge around on the couch. Here we lunge horses but I have been to places where they lounge them lol.

In the past I've said chaps "ch"

Since getting into horses out west here though.......I now say "sh"

Here's one: Lieutenant

Americans say it Loo

I got a severe tongue lashing when I was in the militia on my Corporal course. I guess the correct CANADIAN way to say it is Lef

"I before E except......................................when you have a "U" after it.............you say fffffff"

Really?

I don't remember THAT in the little rhyme thing I learned as a kid. Do you see an "F" anywhere in there?

LMBO

Edited by Cactus Rose

Another favorite of mine is lunge, lounge... like a dog might lunge at a car or a dog might lounge around on the couch. Here we lunge horses but I have been to places where they lounge them lol.

Actually, that one is longe according to the dictionary. But I always forget that when I write it.

When I was a kid, I pronounced Yosemite Yose (rhymes with those) Might. The adults laughed so hard, I grew up to be an English major.

.........well Yose-might is pretty much the way it's spelt Jubal !

Adults used to laugh at the way I said salt as a kid.

Ya - really - salt?

Yose-might I can understand.

I guess it sounded like selt.

My mother used to get so mad and frustrated she'd make me practice saying it. Inside my head it SOUNDED like I was saying salt.

LOL

Actually, that one is longe according to the dictionary. But I always forget that when I write it.

I think they only longe line horses in Europe LOL ;) Spell check even says its wrong hehe....Noone here says it that way or spells it that way either.

'Merica! :D