Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Askims Mom

Putting pennies in water buckets

11 posts in this topic

has anyone ever tried this? its supposed to reduce the effects of a mares heat. i know some people who swear by it and im trying to get more info...like how many, exactly how it effects the mare, and so on.

I have heard that putting copper in a trough/bucket will reduce a mare's heat, not sure if it's just an old wive's tale or not.

Why not give it a try. (just make sure you're mare doesn't accidently "drink" the pennies too)

I don't think pennies are made from copper anymore either. I think it costs more to make them from copper than the pennies are actually worth. If you want to try it, maybe get a small piece of copper pipe and put it in the water.

That may work, but it is true... pennies are no longer made of copper. They stopped making pennies out of copper in the 40's and they are now zinc plated steel. [smile]

I know of someone who uses a piece of copper pipe. Says it helps quite a bit.

I've heard this about copper. If you have your horse at home, it's worth trying. I board mine so can't try it -- too many water sources for her to drink from and the stable won't add copper to them all. LOL!

I'm using Mare Magic herbal supplement, recommended by my barn owner. Been using it for less than a month, but I think it has helped. She should have come into season within the last week and I haven't noticed near the "attitude" I usually see with her. So far so good.

If you can use the copper, great! That would be cheaper than MM!

ETA: If you keep goldfish in your water troughs to control mosquitos, don't use the copper. It will kill the fish! That's the reason the barn owner won't use it.

[ 04-26-2007, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: iluvspots ]

its for a friend of mine. she has 3 mares, but her 5 yr old seems to be having particularly bad--and long heats. she was looking into expensive treatments, and i had read about the pennies on another board and the racing people there swear by it.

i was just wondering if anyone here ever tried it.

Sorry to butt in, but you can use pennies that are dated before 1982. In 1982 they changed to a center made of zinc (about 99.2% of the penny) and a thin copper coating (the remaining 0.8% of the penny)

I have never heard of the copper thing. I wonder why it works? I wonder if mares are deficient in copper during their heat cycles?

Brenna

I have never heard of it for mares in heat but have heard of putting pennies in water to repel mosquitos.