Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AnotherBaronBelle

Rice Hull Bedding WARNING!!!!

25 posts in this topic

If anyone has thoughts about trying rice hull bedding please be careful! If your horse shows ANY interest in eating this they will most like likely eat enough to colic...I may lose my old mare to this She is still at the vet clinic since last night....

I've been kicking myself since she started getting sick. I should have stripped it out of her stall as soon as she started nibbling on it but I let the people who convinced me to try the rice hull bedding that they all try it but she'll leave it alone in a bit and to mix some pine shavings also to keep her from eating it which seemed to make her quit. So stupid me left the bleepedy bleep bleep bedding in her stall...so now my poor mare is at the vet's--the prognosis is not good....

[Me Cry][Me Cry]

So sorry your mare is going through all this over some bedding...thanks for the warning, I will defintely pass this one on...

Hope all turns out well and she makes a full recovery. [Angel][Angel]

Keep us posted,

~MH

So sorry to hear, how horrible. Thanks for the warning.

hope your girl pulls thru.. prayers coming her way ..... [Angel]

Thanks for all the prayers! Ya'll are the best!

Just got off the phone with the vet...he says she's doing better but not completely out of the woods yet. He says I might be able to take her home tomorrow if all goes well.

Update-Shanna will be coming home either this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon the vet feels like she is stable and would recover better at home so depending on how she looks this afternoon will be the deciding factor. [Yay]

[Yay][Yay][Yay][Yay]

YAY! She's getting better!!! I'm so glad!

Please let us know when she gets home! [Huggy]

Update...

At 9am My beloved mare Shanna was euthanized...

May the pastures of horse heaven always be green, the wind sweet and the water cool and fresh...I love you Shanna Rest in Peace....

She was doing better or so we thought....The vet palpated her Sat am because she was not having very productive bowel movements and found a large hard impaction that would not move. Due to her age she would not survive surgery (she was 30) and the vet was not sure it would have helped any way.

OH NO!!!!!!!

So sorry for your loss. Prayers and hugs are coming your way. [Angel][Huggy]

I'd be writing to the company about how bad there product is for horses.