Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Help saddle pad rubbing...Update! ClairevilleCoach please look!

52 posts in this topic

...off some of the hair on the horse that I ride. It's rubbing off on the loins. Just two little patches, one on each side. I checked the saddle but it wasn't the saddle it's just the pad that's rubbing him. [Confused]

What should I do? [Me Cry] Has anyone had this happen before? I'm not going to ride him with a saddle for a while so that the hair will grow back. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. [smiley Wavey]

[ 03-09-2006, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Countrygurl87 ]

...off some of the hair on the horse that I ride. It's rubbing off on the loins. Just two little patches, one on each side. I checked the saddle but it wasn't the saddle it's just the pad that's rubbing him. [Confused]

What should I do? [Me Cry] Has anyone had this happen before? I'm not going to ride him with a saddle for a while so that the hair will grow back. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. [smiley Wavey]

[ 03-09-2006, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Countrygurl87 ]

The exact same thing is happening to my horse!! Its the felt on the underside of my pad. You have to sew on some silky material like a blanket liner where it is rubbing him. Untill them you have to keep it moistuized....I use bag balm b/c it is really sticky and stays on through the ride.

The exact same thing is happening to my horse!! Its the felt on the underside of my pad. You have to sew on some silky material like a blanket liner where it is rubbing him. Untill them you have to keep it moistuized....I use bag balm b/c it is really sticky and stays on through the ride.

Actually, the problem IS the saddle fit. For whatever reason, there is too much pressure on the back of the saddle.

I saw this happen with a mare who was a little sway backed. There was weight distributed on the front of the saddle, and on the back, but nothing in the middle. We were able to relieve the problem by adding a piece of foam padding that sat only under the middle of the saddle, where her back dipped.

Please have a saddle fitting expert look at the problem. Whatever material your pad is made of, it should never cause uneven wear marks or rub hair off your horse.

Good Luck!

Tracey

Actually, the problem IS the saddle fit. For whatever reason, there is too much pressure on the back of the saddle.

I saw this happen with a mare who was a little sway backed. There was weight distributed on the front of the saddle, and on the back, but nothing in the middle. We were able to relieve the problem by adding a piece of foam padding that sat only under the middle of the saddle, where her back dipped.

Please have a saddle fitting expert look at the problem. Whatever material your pad is made of, it should never cause uneven wear marks or rub hair off your horse.

Good Luck!

Tracey

Ditto to what Claireville Coach said. It sounds like the sadle is "bridging" over a low area, and the ends of the bars of the saddle tree are putting undue pressure over the loins. That's why I don't like the saddle pads with a thicker portion over the withers. They "bridge."

Ditto to what Claireville Coach said. It sounds like the sadle is "bridging" over a low area, and the ends of the bars of the saddle tree are putting undue pressure over the loins. That's why I don't like the saddle pads with a thicker portion over the withers. They "bridge."

Explain this more to me....My horse is not sway backed....infact he is a little down hill. (he is in his 4 y.o. year) I do not use a built up pad...this is the one I use.... saddle pad My saddle fits very well. It's not my winter blankets. I was thinking it was the seams on the saddle pad. The rub marks are at the back of the loin as well as on the side of his belly where the saddle pad ends.

What do you guys think?

Explain this more to me....My horse is not sway backed....infact he is a little down hill. (he is in his 4 y.o. year) I do not use a built up pad...this is the one I use.... saddle pad My saddle fits very well. It's not my winter blankets. I was thinking it was the seams on the saddle pad. The rub marks are at the back of the loin as well as on the side of his belly where the saddle pad ends.

What do you guys think?

Well the horse that I ride has really high withers then his back dips ever so slightly up to his rump. yeah I guess you could say he's a bit sway back (it's not bad though just slight). Also the area behind the withers sinks in a bit. (he really doesn't have the greatest conformation). [Frown]

It had never rubbed him before. I've been using that saddle and pad since last summer. Should I just get another pad like the Orthosport saddle pad by Professional's Choice? [Confused]

It is supposed to add a little more padding in the area behind the withers that sinks in. They said it was good for horses who had high withers with the sunk in part behind them. What do you think? Has anyone tried this pad? [Question]

Also I don't know of any saddle fitters anywhere near me. I don't exactly live in a horse town. Nor are any town's or city's near me. People around here just have horse's as backyard pets or something and no one is real knowledgeable. Also to give you an idea the horse is about 30-35 minutes away from my house. [Me Cry] And no really good places to buy horse stuff.

Thanks for your replys! I hope I can get this thing figured out soon. [smiley Wavey]

[ 01-22-2006, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Countrygurl87 ]

Well the horse that I ride has really high withers then his back dips ever so slightly up to his rump. yeah I guess you could say he's a bit sway back (it's not bad though just slight). Also the area behind the withers sinks in a bit. (he really doesn't have the greatest conformation). [Frown]

It had never rubbed him before. I've been using that saddle and pad since last summer. Should I just get another pad like the Orthosport saddle pad by Professional's Choice? [Confused]

It is supposed to add a little more padding in the area behind the withers that sinks in. They said it was good for horses who had high withers with the sunk in part behind them. What do you think? Has anyone tried this pad? [Question]

Also I don't know of any saddle fitters anywhere near me. I don't exactly live in a horse town. Nor are any town's or city's near me. People around here just have horse's as backyard pets or something and no one is real knowledgeable. Also to give you an idea the horse is about 30-35 minutes away from my house. [Me Cry] And no really good places to buy horse stuff.

Thanks for your replys! I hope I can get this thing figured out soon. [smiley Wavey]

[ 01-22-2006, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Countrygurl87 ]

I'm kind of old school but I'm not impressed with the gelpad technology. The Professional Choice pads with the fleece lining will mould to the horses back. I have a similar one (Cutter Pro) and I put a 1/4 woolfelt pad under it. It does a wonderful job of distributing sweat as well. Good luck!

I'm kind of old school but I'm not impressed with the gelpad technology. The Professional Choice pads with the fleece lining will mould to the horses back. I have a similar one (Cutter Pro) and I put a 1/4 woolfelt pad under it. It does a wonderful job of distributing sweat as well. Good luck!

Hey thanks for the help y'all. I'm keeping a totally open mind on this and I'm willing to try just about anything to get this sorted out. I don't have the money to get a new saddle or anything but just about anything else I'll defintely try.

Well anyway thanks for your ideas so far! If anyone can, keep the ideas coming!! [Wink] They are totally appreciated! [smiley Wavey]

[ 01-24-2006, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Countrygurl87 ]

Hey thanks for the help y'all. I'm keeping a totally open mind on this and I'm willing to try just about anything to get this sorted out. I don't have the money to get a new saddle or anything but just about anything else I'll defintely try.

Well anyway thanks for your ideas so far! If anyone can, keep the ideas coming!! [Wink] They are totally appreciated! [smiley Wavey]

[ 01-24-2006, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Countrygurl87 ]

Is there any way you can post photos of:

1) the horse's back showing the rub marks (the whole topline, so we can assess contour)

2) horse with saddle sitting in normal position with

NO pads or blankets - from front, back and side

3) horse with saddle and "offending" pad in place,

again from front, back and side

Other than actually going out to look at your horse, this is the best way I could try to figure out how to help you. (It's a bit of a long drive from here.)

The horse I mentioned earlier was just an example of how this can happen - I didn't mean to imply that your horse was swaybacked, high withered or built downhill.

If you can post pics, I'll try to help, and I'm sure there are lots of others who would be glad to look at them too. Jack is known on the boards as a real expert on saddles.

Tracey

[smiley Wavey]

Is there any way you can post photos of:

1) the horse's back showing the rub marks (the whole topline, so we can assess contour)

2) horse with saddle sitting in normal position with

NO pads or blankets - from front, back and side

3) horse with saddle and "offending" pad in place,

again from front, back and side

Other than actually going out to look at your horse, this is the best way I could try to figure out how to help you. (It's a bit of a long drive from here.)

The horse I mentioned earlier was just an example of how this can happen - I didn't mean to imply that your horse was swaybacked, high withered or built downhill.

If you can post pics, I'll try to help, and I'm sure there are lots of others who would be glad to look at them too. Jack is known on the boards as a real expert on saddles.

Tracey

[smiley Wavey]

Just another note: Better to stay away from saddle pads that are built up in the front with the problem you are having at the moment.

The built up pad will likely just make the saddle fit too tight on the shoulders, which will raise the front of the saddle, distributing even more weight to the back where it is already rubbing.

If, as you say, he is a little swaybacked, the area you want to add padding to is the lowest part of his back. You can use foam rubber of the type you can buy in a fabric store. Try one inch thickness to start - you can usually buy it in a roll - if you need thicker you can cut two pieces.

Lets see if I can explain this....

You want to cut a rectangle of foam about one foot by three feet. (For actual dimension, substitute the WIDTH of your saddle pad for the 3 feet.)

The saddle blanket goes on first. Then lay your cut piece of foam ACROSS the lowest part of the horse's back (NOT along the back from withers to loin - we are trying to avoid those two areas.)

Finally, put the pad on top to hold it all in place and saddle him up.

Before you do this, see for yourself what is causing the rubbing. Go saddle him up normally, then put your hand under the pad and blanket where he is being rubbed. Even have someone sit in the saddle with your hand there. If there is pressure, pinching or rubbing, you may have found your problem. (There really shouldn't be ANY pressure in that area.) Try putting the foam in there and feel it again. You should feel a definate relief from the pressure / rubbing.

This solution worked so well for our mare that you could see the relief in her face, and her demeanor improved immediately. I hope you can get as good a result.

Just another note: Better to stay away from saddle pads that are built up in the front with the problem you are having at the moment.

The built up pad will likely just make the saddle fit too tight on the shoulders, which will raise the front of the saddle, distributing even more weight to the back where it is already rubbing.

If, as you say, he is a little swaybacked, the area you want to add padding to is the lowest part of his back. You can use foam rubber of the type you can buy in a fabric store. Try one inch thickness to start - you can usually buy it in a roll - if you need thicker you can cut two pieces.

Lets see if I can explain this....

You want to cut a rectangle of foam about one foot by three feet. (For actual dimension, substitute the WIDTH of your saddle pad for the 3 feet.)

The saddle blanket goes on first. Then lay your cut piece of foam ACROSS the lowest part of the horse's back (NOT along the back from withers to loin - we are trying to avoid those two areas.)

Finally, put the pad on top to hold it all in place and saddle him up.

Before you do this, see for yourself what is causing the rubbing. Go saddle him up normally, then put your hand under the pad and blanket where he is being rubbed. Even have someone sit in the saddle with your hand there. If there is pressure, pinching or rubbing, you may have found your problem. (There really shouldn't be ANY pressure in that area.) Try putting the foam in there and feel it again. You should feel a definate relief from the pressure / rubbing.

This solution worked so well for our mare that you could see the relief in her face, and her demeanor improved immediately. I hope you can get as good a result.

Ok thanks a lot, really. I will try my best to get some pictures but I've never posted pics before so I'm gonna need some help with that. But I will definitly get the pics you suggested. I really appreciate you helping me out. [smiley Wavey]

Ok thanks a lot, really. I will try my best to get some pictures but I've never posted pics before so I'm gonna need some help with that. But I will definitly get the pics you suggested. I really appreciate you helping me out. [smiley Wavey]

You know I have thought about getting a navajo blanket but I didn't know if it would work or not. I might try it though. I'm getting pretty desperate. [Frown]

Claireville Coach:

I will be getting those pictures soon but I really need to know how to post them. More help please!! [smiley Wavey]

You know I have thought about getting a navajo blanket but I didn't know if it would work or not. I might try it though. I'm getting pretty desperate. [Frown]

Claireville Coach:

I will be getting those pictures soon but I really need to know how to post them. More help please!! [smiley Wavey]