Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cowgirl_027

How can I safely jack up a horse trailer?

6 posts in this topic

I have an older two horse trailer which is made of steel and weighs like 4500 lbs and I want to replace the wood floor and need to fix my brakes but the trailer needs to be jacked up because theres not enough room under there to work. So the question is how can I safely jack up a tandem axle trailer?

Do you want to jack up the trailer to do just the brakes or the whole trailer to do the floor? [Question]

If you just need to get it higher off the ground so you can work on it, then I'd jack it up and put good solid blocks under the frame on all four corners. Or you could build yourself a ramp to drive the wheels up on. Just be sure to always block your wheels, so it can't roll forward or backwards on you. Whatever you do, please be careful. [big Grin]

ETA: If you take the floor out first, would that give you enough room to maneuver around, to put in new brake lines?

[ 04-12-2008, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Mudder ]

quote:

Originally posted by Mudder:

If you just need to get it higher off the ground so you can work on it, then I'd jack it up and put good solid blocks under the frame on all four corners. Or you could build yourself a ramp to drive the wheels up on. Just be sure to always block your wheels, so it can't roll forward or backwards on you. Whatever you do, please be careful.
[big Grin]

Ditto to Mudder. [big Grin]

Or, if you just want to get it high enough to work on, could you rent/borrow, a bay at a garage, and use their hydraulic hoist to get it high enough to replace your wiring? [Confused]

See to remove the wood floor the previous owners fastened it from underneath and with it sitting on the ground there isn't enough room to get me and a drill underneath! If I can just jack it up a little that would help! Never thought of blocking it up on all four corners, that could work! Thanks!