Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zeusyboy

Whatever Happened To.....

24 posts in this topic

You know, the kinda dog you pick up off the street, or from the pound.

A result in backyard, unplanned breeding. You don't know what breed(s) are in it.

But its cute, its loveable, it may or may not be smart. And it could be the best dog you've ever had, because its thankful you've given it a forever home.

I just don't understand these "hybrid" dogs.

I'm a fan of both mutts, and purebreds, but why are they putting a CKC, AKC, etc. Registered name on a MUTT...

Take this dog for example..

Afghan Spaniel Yeah, thats right. A cross between an AFGHAN HOUND..and a cocker spaniel. [shocked]

And I'm pretty sure its a registered breed.

Or This One,

Afador (scroll down to view the last dog. Is this what intentional cross breeding without thinking is doing to these poor dogs? I think he's too heavy for his legs. And his front legs are buckling on him. :twitch: )

Seriously, whatever happened to mutts? With all the unwanted dogs/pups out there, people are intentionally breeding these dogs and REGISTERING THEM....

What is the AKC, CKC, and registry's alike thinking... [bang Head]

Edited by Zeusyboy

I don't understand them either. We have 3 mutts and one purebred. What do you get when you cross a Bull Dog and a Shih Tzu? Hehe...

*Rubs hands together* Okay...here we go!

First a disclaimer: i love mutts. I've owned mutts. I have nothing against mutts. But i despise the intentional BREEDING of mutts who are then marketed as a special "breed".

They are NOT registerable. They are NOTbreeds, not one of those "Designer Dog" crosses. The registries for these crosses are scams started by designer dog and puppy mill breeders to legitimize themselves. That's why they charge so much money for mutts...they claim they are new breeds. The AKC and CKS do NOT recognize any of these mutt, crossbred dogs.

The only purebred dog registries that really matter are the AKC (American Kennel Club), the CKC (CANADIAN Kennel Club, not the puppymill Scam registry the CONTINENTAL Kennel Club), and the UK equivalent whose acronym i've forgotten. **There are other European kennel club organizations that are valid but i'm limiting myself to those i'm more familiar with**

Before someone chimes in with "all breeds start out as a crossbred mutt." just....don't. Yes, all breeds start with crossing different breeds to create something new. But creating a new breed takes generations, it takes DECADES (20-50 YEARS) before they can breed to type and be called a breed. And often it takes longer for the true dog registries to recognize them as such.

Crossing a Pug and a Beagle and calling it a Puggle is NOT a new breed. It's a mutt with serious respiritory problems. The only designer dog who might eventually be recognized as a true new breed is the Australian Labradoodle...and even they aren't there yet. People who fall for the "hypoallergenic" line with a generic lab/poodle cross are getting hosed. Few, if any at all, are actually hypoallergenic. Even if the dog doesn't shed (much) it still has pet dander.

Yes, there's a market for these dogs, and sadly that's justification for too many people in the world. If people WANT them, let's just BREED them. So what if the pounds are full of dogs, registered and mutts both?

It all boils down to responsible breeding, and very few (if any) designer dog breeders follow any sort of responsible breeding practices. Here are just the main ones responsible breeders should follow.

• Health records on all breeding animals
  • CERF and OFA clearances on every single stinking animal you plan to breed (and even some you don't!!!)

• Any breed related tests are documented (EX: springers need to be tested for PFK, a genetic disorder, and all mine have the documentation to prove that).

• Proven animals in the field, show, obedience or SOMETHING *exceptions of course but proven is much better*
  • Responsible breeders have several generations on premises if possible and never discourage prospective buyers from looking up related animals.
  • Good breeders require a spay/neuter contract for the majority of their dogs (exceptions would be selling to other responsible, well established breeders).
Yup, i breed. My dogs have all of the above...OFA and CERF clearances, PFK negative, proven in the field, sired by proven Field Trial and/or hunting dogs, extensive health records, three generations on premises, a list of sold dogs that's current (i know where each one is and can contact owners at any time to see how they are doing), etc. All but one dog were spayed/neutered the one left unaltered is not of breeding age yet, not proven, not bred, and might not EVER be bred. Responsible owner. Health testing doesn't happen until age 2.

Designer dogs are not new breeds. They are mutts. Some are adorable, some are very worthy (i had an Aussie/Kelpie cross, an ACCIDENTAL, not intentional breeding, who was an incredible cow dog) but NONE are worth $300, $500, $1,000 dollars. People pay that are being hosed, but most don't know it or really just don't care.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

A buddy of mine has a Labradoodle (picked because she liked the name of the breed). Yep, supposed to be non shedding. BS; huge clumps of hair everywhere.

Now, there is a lot of intelligence in those brown eyes, but this dog is a goof and not worth the $750.00 she paid for him.

She got pretty ticked when I told her he was a mutt.

Another buddy of mine has a Jug...cross between a Jack Rusell and a pug. Cute as a bug, but we'll have to see how he turns out personality/brains wise.

We're looking for a farm dog, our only wish is that it has some black lab in it...have not been able to find one. The shelters seem to be full of little bitty obnoxious mixes that would be like a snack for the coyotes. Pugs are for some reason hugely popular around here right now, and they are adorable but not for a farm dog.

Lots of mixed pit blood out there, too. I'm not averse to getting a dog with some pit blood, but they have to have a good hair coat to be out in the winter.

Hopefully in the spring, when I start the search again, I'll find some mutt that isn't being presented as a designer breed.

A buddy of mine has a Labradoodle (picked because she liked the name of the breed). Yep, supposed to be non shedding. BS; huge clumps of hair everywhere.

Now, there is a lot of intelligence in those brown eyes, but this dog is a goof and not worth the $750.00 she paid for him.

She got pretty ticked when I told her he was a mutt.

Another buddy of mine has a Jug...cross between a Jack Rusell and a pug. Cute as a bug, but we'll have to see how he turns out personality/brains wise.

We're looking for a farm dog, our only wish is that it has some black lab in it...have not been able to find one. The shelters seem to be full of little bitty obnoxious mixes that would be like a snack for the coyotes. Pugs are for some reason hugely popular around here right now, and they are adorable but not for a farm dog.

Lots of mixed pit blood out there, too. I'm not averse to getting a dog with some pit blood, but they have to have a good hair coat to be out in the winter.

Hopefully in the spring, when I start the search again, I'll find some mutt that isn't being presented as a designer breed.

Oh, good luck with that!!!!

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

I have a mutt. She's a chow/black lab/husky mix. So, we could call her a... chusklab??? Or maybe a labchusky!! :happy0203:

I've got a Wal-Mut! lol She's a blue heeler mixed with a gsd? or so they think. I got her for free at Wal-Mart. I also have a blue heeler stray and a yellow lab stray that we picked up on the side of the road as puppies. I have one registered dog, Pembroke Welsh Corgi, that I just love. But his shedding, not as bad as some, is still awful.

My best friend is a dog groomer. Some of the designer mixes that come in are just awful.

Growin up I had a cocker spaniel mix. mom was the cocker. dad was the dog that jumped the fence. She was the best dog a couple a kids could have growin up. Now I have 2 purebreds and they are both incredible. I can't even picture life without them and I've only had them a couple of weeks.

Wal-mutt [ROTFL] [ROTFL]

My dad has husky crossed with collie. She was abused very badly. However, is great dog.

Bumper,

Thanks for clarifying that. I am not big into the dog registries, breeding or showing. So i'm clueless to the acronyms.

Its good to know these animals aren't being recognized.

Not saying there is anything wrong with a mutt. My dad has a german shepherd mix with a sheltie, we think. Best dog out there.. but he's still a mutt.

The thing I dont get is why people are intentionally breeding these dogs. [bang Head]

The link I posted in my first post, the Afador. That dog is just sad. People have no thoughts for what they're breeding. There is NO WAY the legs of an afghan hound can support the weight of a substantial lab. That poor dog. [bang Head]

ETA: Wal-Mutt... that made me giggle... :smilie:

Edited by Zeusyboy

If idiots will pay big bucks.Other idiots will breed them for those bucks.

Thanks Bump I did not have to type out much.

Whatever Happened To....., A Good Ole Fashioned Mutt??

People realized they could slap a cutesy name on it, jack up the price and sell it to all the idiots. Even worse are the registries that will give papers on them. Then the price goes even higher.

DraftHorse- Little Rock shelters are FULL up on Labs and Lab mixes. Need me to deliver one? Or 30?

OH where's Redneckcowgirlnm to tell her boxer/chocolate lab story??? It's priceless, but it's hers to tell!

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

Right behind ya, Bumper!!!

Seriously! Honey had a littler of AKC reg. Boxer pups, and I got to be in charge of screening new homes for them. (Long boring story on how THAT all ended up, but let's just say as of last Wednesday, both Boxers are now sterile.)

Anyways, had a guy come out to look at pups. He wanted a female to breed to his male Chocolate Lab, so he could sell them as a "Box O Chocolates" pups.

Yea, I chased him off, no puppy. He left rather quickly, as I was spewing obscenities at him.

(& hey, I LOVE my Pug! Snoring, farting brain dead little turd, lol! That doesn't mean he's getting a Beagle girlfriend any time soon. I WAS going to show him, but, 14 months old, still missing an upper canine tooth, so he can't be shown anymore. His turn for Brain Surgery this week.)

The way I see it is I'v always had designer dogs--mixed breed. I love my duel breeds. Right now I have a black lab/GSD and he is a gem. All my dogs have either been strays that wandered in or pound puppies. People just can get more money if they say the dog is a designer breed.

Every dog I have had growing up was a MUTT!! Strays that I begged my dad to let me keep!! We have a Australian Shepard/Rottie looks just like a Aussi, but with the rottie colors! We supposedly have a cocker spaniel/lab, but she is no cocker spaniel/lab, more like every dog in the neighborhood!!

I have only had one purebred dog in my life time (a lab best dog ever) every other dog we have had has either be found on the street, from the pound, or from a friend who rescued a prego dog.

My sis got her dog from the pound cutest dog ever no idea what he is part teddy bear part ragamuffin or something let me see if I can find a good pic.PICT0017.jpg

PICT0044.jpg

Edited by horseless-n-fl

I girl that I know, was so excited and had to tell me about her Lasa Box.

Okay, call me slow, but my first thought was....Some sort of decorative item from Tibet.

Like one of the boxes with mirrors and embroidery from India.

No, she means a Lasa Apso and Boxer cross!

My second thought was "I hope the mom was the boxer."

Then she spouts off about having to work over time to afford the $600 for her sweet baby.

Third thought...oh, poor little thing has health problems and she's got big vet bills to pay.

Then she tells me that there is the sweetest puppy from the litter that I could buy!

Fourth thought..."She got stuck with a sick puppy and she wants me to........ buy one?"

The lights went on and I said you paid $600 dollars for a MUTT?!!!!!!!

"No" she said looking quite cross "A Mix! Of Lasa Apso and Boxer! A Lasa Box! Don't you know dogs!"

Fifth thought......"Yes, I do know dogs. But girl you have stupid written on your forehead."

The clerk told me the cost of my groceries. So I didn't say the sentence that was tumbling in my mouth. When He handed me the receipt he glanced towards the girl and rolled his eyes. We shared a mutual smirk before I pushed my grocery cart away.

I know of a person who has a "miniature boxer." This person was very proud of this thing and I saw pictures. Pug Boxer mix. The poor unfortunate soul has the smallest head I have ever seen on a boxerish body. I am sorry, he is ugly and not a "mimiature boxer." He is a mutt, and not a very attractive one at that.

It makes me very sad that people keep continuing this trend. I saw a little 'puggle' in a car a couple of months ago and the poor thing was ugly as sin. Its jaw was so undershot it looked painful and ike it was always snarling with teeth out.

I know there are many breeds being mixed and abused, but what is the popularity with pugs lately? That makes me very sad. I love pugs but I am almost afraid to even start a search for one of the little devils because it is giong to take a heap of work to sift through all the idiot breeders and find a good pup.

This whole business sickens me.

Brenna