noip1963

Homemade Farrier Stand

17 posts in this topic

I know I read on here (but can't find it now) as to where a couple people made their own hoof stand.

Could you please tell me what you used.

My Hubby made one from an old jack. The top screws up and down so it can go higher or lower.

Here are a couple pictures. It has a top for cradling the foot, too.

100_1598.jpg

100_1597.jpg

Both tops are covered with rubber matting...tough stuff. This one is VERY heavy. It's hard to move around, but then it won't tip over with the horse's hoof on it, either.

Edited by Wild Rose

Go to your nearest Pool/Spa/Patio store. Purchase a METAL patio umbrella stand....the wider the base the better. (I have a square one).

Go to Home Depot or other such place. Purchase a length of pipe that will in the sleeve of the umbrella stand. Cut to appropriate height.

Get a big tennis ball. Cut a slit on it and shove on top of pipe.

Ta dah!

......I plagerized what the farriers out here use.

One of the round plates off an old farm disker laid flat and about a 14" piece of pipe welded vertical to it.

I'm still thinking I'd like to get a slightly smaller O.D. pipe to slip inside the first with a "U" shaped piece of something welded to the top to rest the foot in for trimming the bottom.....and then remove to put the foot ON to bevel from the outside......granted there's no adjustment to it - but simple to build.

CR

I use jack stands.... Works great! You can adjust them pretty easy. One has a solid top, the other has a curved top.

Now these are great for my steady eddy horses, They don't have a very big base so I don't know how well they would work for a fidgity horse.

But it's about 16 bucks for a set, can't go wrong there!

You mean one of these NC:

31529.jpg

Cause that's a great idea - and cheap - and adjustable !

[Not Worthy]

Our old shoer used an old jack that my dad had and just duct taped an old towel ont he top to make it easy on their legs and still useable for the toes. It is a small square based one but we have the steady eddy type horses.

For my mini I use my my leg. It kills my muscles in the end but it helps her. I've tried other things but she is more calm with just me and my leg so that is what we do.

We also use the jack stands with the u-shape on top. And like previously mentioned, they work great and are CHEAP. Just unable to use w/the minis!

Just a note about the jack stands. If there is an opening on the sides you might want to figure out something to prevent a horse's hoof from slipping in there should they turn into knuckleheads.

I've seen some pretty nasty wrecks if they get their hoof in there. Honestly really good wrapping with duct tape will see you through pretty well. Doesn't look pretty, but it sure works.

I have a Hoof Jack. Yup we paid through the nose for it when it was first coming out. But it's a nice stand.

I took in two pictures of hoof stands to my local welder. I said I like this from this one, and that from that one. Make it for me. He used a huge 20" disker blade for the base, square tubing for the rest of it. He made it adjustable for height as well. For the cradle part, I glued a piece from a non slip place mat. The thicker one. And I put some no skid tape stuff on the other part. I found that in the automotive section at the hardware store. When all was said and done, it cost me I think 40 or 45 dollars.

gallery_2294_184_92385.jpg

gallery_2294_184_1307722.jpg

My neighbor uses a wooden box. It's about 6" wide and 10" long. He put carpet on it, and that's what he uses to do the nipping. He made a stand of his own (very talented welder) but prefers to use the box rather than the cradle part. He uses the stand for filing tho. He says it's lower and the horses are more comfortable with having their foot lower for nipping.

Bethany, good point about the openings.

I do have them in mine, and I usually slide my foot into it to hold it.

I'll have to have my hubby rig a base up for it ;)

am lazy I use a jackstand a tennis ball and some duct tape.. cheap easy and adjustable to big horse and mini. ecen if they knock it down I can just set it back up and start again!

100_4247.jpg

100_4246.jpg

I have one made from an old disk and plumbing pipe and cap. My son was going to weld one for me but I happened across this one at a garage sale - very weird! It was $5!