Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sweet Barbie

21 Year Old Mare Urinating Frequently

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I tried looking through the archives but didn't find anything...sorry if this has been discussed recently.

Last year this mare had a blood-tinted and smelly discharge that was diagnosed as an infection and treated with anti-biotics. (18 months after last foal)

Now she is urinating frequently, only a little urine actually comes out. It has no bad odor, she is active, healthy, and eating good. SHe is not running fever, she is not in heat, she's not irritable. Her youngest foal is now 2 1/2 years old and she is not pregnant.

Does anyone have any idea what this is about? I'm calling the vet Monday but would love to save some money right here before Christmas if possible (I'm having dental work done on a horse this weekend $$$$ whew!) Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

This could be an indication of a starting urinary tract infection. It can also be a sign of a metabolic problem or urethritis. The first thing you can do is get a fresh clean urine sample and drop it by your vets for analysis.

This could be an indication of a starting urinary tract infection. It can also be a sign of a metabolic problem or urethritis. The first thing you can do is get a fresh clean urine sample and drop it by your vets for analysis.

Ditto, As long as you're sure she's not in heat, it will save you the farm call fee anyway.