saltwater redneck

Slow Feeders?

729 posts in this topic

JMook, I have noticed that the horses seem to go through a period where the idea of eating slow bothers them. They will get a little aggresive and may bite or paw at it. They may even just walk away for a while. Then they will get in the groove and use the feeder as intended.

I think my smaller 30 gallon feeders I made with the holes all around it may be better for you. Over all it seems horses adapt to theses better than the others I have tried. They are easy to fill and safe to leave around.

P1010002.jpg

Please keep up the ideas, I know we can come up with the "perfect" idea through trial and error.

Lee

What's the best way to

A - Cut holes in a barrel

B - Cut a barrel in half

What tools do you use?

Bearcat-I used a circular saw..to cut the squares, but would rather make the round ones like Lee did in those.....

Lee, I did have mine on the ground, but with the rain we had and now the mud, I can't leave them on the ground, the horses are pushing it right into the standing water and then mud, makes for some nasty hay!!!!!

How did you make the holes in yours? I am planning on making another one and placing it somewhere else, this one is working out great, they are cleaning out the hay, I have upped it to 4 sqs a day, filling it in the mornings, now they can get to the round bale if they want to, but since I did this they seem to be moving around more and not hitting the rb near as much...

The sqs weighted in at 10 to 15 lbs ea.

Now I just have to figure out how to make the ones in the stalls/paddocks work, I had to take the lattice off cause my gelding wouldn't even try to eat from it and my filly figured out how to push one side and she dragged the hay out.....I used 2 bungies to hold the lattice down...any advise as to how to make the thing stay in, if I just lay it ontop, she will just pull it out???

I am making one right now!

I've already cut the barrel, and am planning on using a piece of plywood with holes cut in it for my lid. We'll see if that works...

You will have to take pictures. Did you cut it in half? Watch for splinters [Question]

Good luck...don't forget the pictures....

Oh forgot, I took one of my old water tanks, it was rusty on the bottom, I put some blocks on the bottom, then put a 2x4 sq fencing on top of that, then cut what I had left of the lattice and put hay in it.....that brat of a gelding ate out of that one, then my filly came and they both were at it...now I just have to figure out how to make hole in the bottom of that one...Lee help? I also have to figure out a better way to keep the lattice in it?

Keeping the lattice in is the main problem that is bothering me. My bungie idea is working but I know I can do better. Just keep tossing it around in your head and I am sure we will figure it out.

Lee

Maybe-maybe not. Think on this idea.

It might work if there is enough room for for them to get their head into the barrel with a pipe in the center. I am thinking 2" pipe and with a screw on cap, it would be blunt with no sharp edges. You would unscew the pipe cap, pull out the panel w/holes, and drop in your hay. Put the panel back in and screw the cap back on. The horses will keep the panel pushed down tight to the hay. If they do pull up on it , the panel will just fall back down after they let go. this will keep the panel from getting all crooked and sideways.

Hope at least some of this makes sense

Lee

click to enlarge

th_feeder2.jpg

Thats great! I am going to try to do that today, after I try and work through some issues with Sammy....I posted in the training forum!

I do think my barrels I cut in half are big enough to do this with.....I will let you know. You are good!

Okay, I'm almost done with mine.

First off, I was surprised both horses were eating out of the net. The Mustang is used to it, I've been using one for about a year at night, but I didn't think the TB would be into it...

355381832.jpg

I cut the barrel at the 45 gallon mark. Half seemd too small, plus there was a handy dandy line to make my cut straight.

355381836.jpg

For the lid, I used an old piece of plywood and put 3 and 1/2 inch holes in it.

355381835.jpg

The almost finished product (I still need to sand the sides down just a little bit.)

355381833.jpg

I have an extra shelf like this: Wire Shelf

It's pretty heavy on its own, so I'm thinking of smooth pipe for the corner holes where the connecting standards would normally go so that it would slide down as the hay level went down AND keep it secured so horses couldn't flip it off. All I need is a box built with mesh on the bottom to allow drainage.

Whaddya think?

Choco, I have those same shelves in the garage. IMO, the openings are way too small for a feeder, although I do agree thay are a nice gauge...

I might try it anyway. Believe me, my Clyde-X can HOOVER in some hay. She needs to be able to only lip the hay in stem by stem to make it last. ;)

you guys are awesome.. keep em comin!

you might want to also consider rain holes at the bottom, so if it rains, the water will drain out. also to allow for air circulation around the bottom of the hay too. hay can mold up SO quickly. like within hours of a rain storm, then heat/sun. you can have mold *starting* within like an hour.

Eating from their bags - new feeder set up:

355393668.jpg

I "baited" it by pulling a bit of hay through the holes:

355393666.jpg

Yummy!!

355393669.jpg

The funny thing is that they seem to prefer eating from the bags/slow feeders. There is loose hay in those tires, but they are attacking the bags.

Same thing last night. It was the first time I gave the TB a small mesh hay bag, and he stood there working at it while he had a big tire FULL of loose hay close by (same hay...) That was pretty interesting behavior...

I plan on attaching the barrel better with a cam strap. I wanted to see if it workd first.

Okay.....HOW DID U DO the holes????? I want holes... :happy0203: I just looks better!!!!!

Well the old water tank is working out great....1 horse is at it, only the darn lattice is flipping on the side, but they aren't pulling the hay out.....my filly loves the barrel on the pole, she would rather eat off of it instead of the other ones.

Chocomare-this is what I thought about useing...gridwire...it is still and has some good spacing between the bars.....it also comes in sqares....only thing is that I am tring to find stuff to use around here, can't find the gridwire....then my son thought of using a old rack from the oven....they look the same...only thing finding an old oven....I might have to go over to my sons place and take his...hahaha....he is never at his place...either on the road with his job or over here..don't think he knows he has an oven [ROTFL]

Chocomare-this is what I thought about useing...gridwire...it is still and has some good spacing between the bars.....it also comes in sqares....only thing is that I am tring to find stuff to use around here, can't find the gridwire....then my son thought of using a old rack from the oven....they look the same...only thing finding an old oven....I might have to go over to my sons place and take his...hahaha....he is never at his place...either on the road with his job or over here..don't think he knows he has an oven [ROTFL]

Yeah, I'd thought of that too but the gridwire isn't heavy enough on it's own to keep moving down smoothly as the hay level dropped. You'd have to weight the corners with something.

Try Craig's List or your local Freecycle group. I found these! Wire Shelves

I did the holes with a skillsaw? (Not even really sure what it is...)

I sorta copied the design of those super expensive feeders:

http://www.slowdownhayfeeder.com/index.php...=1&Itemid=1

I figured I could add the pvc rods in the corner if it flips around too much...

I also thought about using an old bicycle wheel!! I think that would work!

Or a grill from one of those round BBQs!

I thought about the bbq rack, but the wires seemed to be to close together....even went to Wally world and found some for $12 ea. I am still going to do Lees drawing and see if that works...Hubby actually gave me some ideas, expecially when he figured out these things really work and stop the waisted hay...

Chocomare-That is funny....

Bearcat-that is where I got some of my ideas, plus I think it was Missclair who started all this....

I have to say, it sure is nice walking out and not finding any hay that my gelding has left his mark on.... [Yay], plus clean stalls has became a less of a chore and more time just to hang out with them and have some fun.....

http://paddockparadise.wetpaint.com/page/H...Hay+Nets?t=anon

Here's another website, if you haven't seen this one. It has several ideas, including the failures. One of them was a rack from the oven. If this is to be a true slow feeder, the best sized holes to use, according to the EC group are 4 cm. One person mentioned that they have cut the hay usage by 25% with a savings of $400.....all depends on the size of those holes. These people have been at it for a year already and are still caught by the invention bug!

Hope this helps!

I'm with Bearcat's horses on the bag idea. [bat Eyelashes]

Edited by missyclare

I think you ladies are getting closer and closer to perfection. My brain is fried from doing bookwork, so I'm absolutely useless to this brain storming.

Bear I really like your idea with the wood top. That is a good idea. [Not Worthy]

Look what I found>>>>

http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/info/howt...ilingtwine.html

I tried making one of these with the amount of string this site recommends, only thing is that it was very small...I mean so close together that you couldn't put the hay in it, then I went and got more string (I save my strings) anyway, I doubled the strings, instead of 15 I used 30, only got 1/2 done, then remembered my gelding is missing some teeth on one side right in the front, thought he might snag a tooth and then that one would fall out???? (I am still dealing with the fracture his fracture) Guess he really messed up his mouth and adult ones wont come in :confused0024: So I am thinking of making one, just big enough to put on the bottom of my fillies stall barrel and see what she does? I am still working on the tank one, did put alot of holes in the bottom yesterday, then took some pvc pipe, put tops on them, placed them on the sides at the end, then took the lattice and drilled some little hole put some wire through the hole then wrapped the wire loose around the pvc, makes it slide up and down loosely....it does tip, so thinking 2 more pvc pieces the sameway.....really like this one as much as the barrel pole on....

thanks Lee for the idea

Missclair-I have seen that site too, it is really cool, like the ideas, but I am not really sure about leaving a net on the ground like that....atleast my gelding would wrap himself up in it.

Okay, Mudder-jump in and give us some ideas too!

Good job Bearcat! Your feeder looks great. The bags seems to working well also.

Gives me an idea

What about combining both ideas. Simply take a hay bag and tie/hook it into a cutoff barrel. Maybe through a hole in the bottom. It would be a slowfeeder and all the droppings would fall back in the barrel. The barrel could be mounted or loose as a toy. The hay would be down low, but off the ground and it could be moved very easily.

The simple ideas always come last.

Lee

Finely got to get pictures of the tank feeder.....they are in my album, for some reason I can't load to my posts [Question]

Next project, haynets, built into the 1/2 barrel feeders....

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

This is really interesting! I loveee making stuff for my horse. But I do have one question.

In the wintertime horses need to eat hay to keep warm, the slow feeders obviously will slow them down, but would it slow them down too much and not let them make body heat?

I really like the hockey net ones but in the winter I would probably make a box to put it on to keep it out of the snow... :]

good ideas everyone :D

Good question about the hay and body warmth. Actually by keeping their digestion system working slowly and over a longer period and keeping them busy they will be warmer.

Instead of stuffing themselves over 30 min to 1 hr period and then standing motionless for hours on end.

There is just no end to the benefits the horses get out of things like slow feeders, paradise pastures, pea gravel etc etc

Lee

Here is an idea.

Wonder if we could get a forum just for "Natural Horse Care".

It could encompass slow feeding, pasture paradise ideas, natural supplements etc

If you know any of the moderators, maybe drop them a PM

Lee

It's not up to mods, but you sure can make an idea pitch to Char. Just send her an email or pm, and see what she thinks. :happy0203: Can find her on the main forum page that lists the different forums and moderators. Just click on her name.