saltwater redneck

Slow Feeders?

729 posts in this topic

I bought mine this past summer and have yet to have a hole in it. I bought the 1 1/4" hole one and have 4 horses and a sheep on it.

Saw your post, I use busy horse nets that hold about four pads of hay and I clip mine into a rubbermaid stock tank. It takes the horses about three or more hours to eat and I have had mine for four or five years. Most of the hay stays in the container.

Well now this makes me a bit nervous. I was going to order one of the nets next month with my tax money. But if they are going to rip up after a year then they might not be worth it.. Does anyone else that use these nets have a problem with holes in them?

I figured out why I was getting large holes, it was still wet with very heavy wet snow when we had our deep freeze and the horses were breaking the strands because there was no give in the frozen net. Net has since dried out and the snow we have gotten has been fluffy. No holes for over a month now!

Wet heavy snow + bitter cold (-20's or lower) not cool all around... I blame the funky weather!

Edited by Smokum

I figured out why I was getting large holes, it was still wet with very heavy wet snow when we had our deep freeze and the horses were breaking the strands because there was no give in the frozen net. Net has since dried out and the snow we have gotten has been fluffy. No holes for over a month now!

Wet heavy snow + bitter cold (-20's or lower) not cool all around... I blame the funky weather!

Gotcha!!! We've had some of that same weather here. Bla. Thanks for the update though.

I've had mine for four years and got my first hole in the round bale net. :angry: It was snagged on a nail on the wood pallet and my temper got a hold of me and I yanked on it. :angry::indifferent: I've had as many as three horses feeding on the bale. Best investment I ever made. I absolutely love my hay nets. :happy0203:

I just started using them. I have the size that will hold a small square bale

I have the nag bags

http://www.slowfeeder.com/

I still put a flake or so of hay in their rubber tire feeders, as recommended, until the horses get used to the slow feeders. It is funny to see Smilie and Charlies actually leave the rubber feeders and use the nets!

So true, Smilie! Mine will eat from their nets rather than off the ground. Although it is healthier for horses to eat with their heads down. But my nets are not hung very high. They are at about chest height on the horses.

Has anyone ever tried these? What do you think of it? www.thenibblenet.com

Apologies if it is bad form to reply to an old post, but I'm reading all of the posts in this thread and haven't come to the end. I have a 55 gallon drum that I am trying to decide the best way to convert into a slow hay feeder. But in the meantime, because if this comment (link above) I went to their site and bought one - anyone else have one of these and have thoughts about it or experiences to share?

Hey, wanted to let you guys know that I built this feeder:

4-5-09020.jpg

4-5-09021.jpg

4-5-09022.jpg

But it totally doesn't work. I plan to lop the bottom off and stick a small mesh hay net on it like yours. I should go order one right now. The horses can't really get at the hay very well. So it just stays in the feeder. The lid works well. Just not the feeding part.

Would it work better if you had made the holes in the bottom bigger?