saltwater redneck

Slow Feeders?

729 posts in this topic

Making a natural forum sounds great....the more stuff the better.....

Since I put up these feeders, these 2 have been moving more....the have a path from one feeder to the other......I have even seen them out in the back of the pasture more....I have even moved there water, so now they have to walk over the harder ground where we drive....I put the tank feeder on the area where I have the pea gravel.....their hoove are looking alot better...they even seem to be happier?????

I just bought my house and in one of the stalls where these huge black barrels. I think they would be perfect to make a large slow feeder like you guys have pictured. They look like old fy spray system barrels. but in all honstly I dont know wut was in them. People keep telling me if I disinfect and bleach and clean them really well it should be safe to cut them in half and use them, im not so sure. What do you guys think?

When I got mine, I used acv to clean them out....first I filled with water, put some bleach in the maybe a cup, let them stand filled over night, then the next day emptied them out, rinsed with water, then used straight acv to wipe them down really good, rinsed again, let them dry in the sun and smelled them to see if there was a smell....

Hope someone can give you more to go on...

Cowgurl_up- pea gravel is for the horses to walk across...I put my water tank ontop of it, so they have to walk across it to get to the tank, it helps keep their hoove in better condition, I even have some at the gate and there is 2 spots around the pond.....where we live it always seems to be wet, this also helps to keep the water drained better....so I don't have so much mud.....

Whoa !

And to think I've been passing this post up !

Great ideas !

:notworthy:

Well Ya!! [Duh] Be a perfect solution for your pony. Pony would probably like it better than that dang muzzle :winking:

SecretHaven, Most of those barrels are made from plastics that resist absorbing chemicals-etc.

I would clean it well before use. You will know if it cleans okay, no smell or oils left in drum. It would make me feel better if you knew what was in it first. Would'nt want you to get sick cleaning it!

Lee

No kidding Mudder.

Only thing is - it's more about keeping her out of the muddy poopy corral so she doesn't get that dang thrush back. Unfortunately that means turnout and access to unlimited feed. And therein lies the problem.

I paid for rush delivery on the muzzle and now haven't put it on her because it's been snow snow snow ever since. Got another 3-4 inches last night alone ! And it's chilly.

But I tell you what - these are great ideas for the other two should I come to the point of living in a place where I have to keep them in a runout/pen setting permanently.

CR

LOL, You guys aren't going to believe this. I'm googling slow feeders because we are going to build some this weekend. I am setting up a paddock paradise on my new property and I've been looking for info. What comes up in my google search? This thread! lol, crack me up.

I love the barrel ideas, both with the latice work and with the plywood with holes. But I KNOW that the latice and plywood would not stay in, and I don't like the bungee cord idea. One of my would end up missing an eye with a sprung bungee. Any other ideas for keeping them in? I'll post a link to the one we are trying to build this weekend.

ok, this is the feeder we are going to build this weekend. http://www.swedishhoofschool.com/Hay_feede...rame_BigBoy.htm

I actually hope to build 2 of them to put in 2 different areas of the pasture, which will eventually be a track.

But I'd like some smaller feeders for the horses kept up, thus the barrel idea.

And here are plans for my property. The one on the left is how it is set up now. The one in the middle is what we are working towards currently. And the right one is my ultimate goal, with a smaller pp in the front for my mare and foal.

PADDOCK20PARADISE1.jpg

Edited by SpottedTApps

Honestly, I've been racking my brain for ways of holding the wood part (Bearcat's idea) in, without using a bungee cord, or anything else that could pose a potential problem. The only way is the other drawing with the cap thing on it, that's in the middle. I'd rather have it off to the side tho. Unless the holes in the wood, were farther apart, so the horse can't grab on to it with their teeth, and it was made from heavy wood. Then it might stay there, so long as the horse can't move the barrel. :confused0024: I need to think more on it.

I wish I was closer to a Lowes or something like that. Then I could wander around looking at stuff, and maybe something would spark an idea. :indifferent:

Mudder, what about a rope of some sort that is permanently attached to the bottom of the barrel, then would snap onto the wood. Same idea in that it would slide up through the barrel, but couldn't come out the top? I wouldn't even mind doing the same thing with a bungee if we could replace the hooks with some sort of snap.

I'm going to keep thinking.

Yup, I thought of that SpottyT. But, it would have to be at least in three places to avoid having the wood top, tip to the side, and defeating it's purpose. It would work. But, it would be a pain to always have to take at least one off, to refill the barrel with hay. I could live with that tho. And I'd use a heavier type rope, along the edges, rather than say baler twine. I'd be concerned about getting a tooth caught in the twine.

A triangle or square pattern for rope attachment, along the outside edges, and anchored thru the bottom of the barrel with a knot. I'd put a knot in the rope, just under the wood top, and probably another knot on top of it, to help hold everything in place. It would work, but a pain for refilling of hay.

That's what I thought about the "slow feeder" that is for sale for $400. There are 4 posts that you have to unscrew to get hay in? Pain in the patootie! But maybe with 3 ropes and you only have to unsnap 1 of them? Not as bad?

Mudder you are GREAT! I have been fighting with that darn barrel in my fillies stall for day..first I just let them eat out of the barrel, well that was fine for a couple days, then she desided yet again to grab mouth fulls and throw it around...check out my album and see the video I put up, that is what she does with EVERYTHING, don't leave anything laying around she can get her mouth on, left my lead and halter next to me the other day, she got her mug on it and chased my gelding all around the pasture, swing it at him....anyway, I put 4 bungees in to keep the darn thing in place, I know bungee...not a good thing, but I found some at Walmart, that have a ball on one end and a hook that snaps at the other end..thick plastic, I ran the rope part through the holes I made just big enough in the bottom and pulled until the ball was snug, then hooked the hook with snap on the lattice, well I used 4 of them but it seemed to hold the hay down to tight! So off again, this time going to try the rope method you came up up, I think it just might work, I was worried about the rope, but I have an idea...I will try and get it done and post pics....Thanks [Yay] [Yay] [Huggy]

On the tank one I did, I did put 4 pvc pipes cut to fit, each corner, I fixed it where the lattice would slip up and down...works out great, put the covers over the tops of the pipes, mounted the pipes with some clamps I bought, was worried about the part sticking out, so I took two of those balls off each bungee, they fight so tight I can't get them off, did that so they could hit a leg or something and get cut...works out pretty good....Oh did try using the rope to hold the pvc pipe, but the pipe moved to much....

Well hot diggity dog. We're gonna have this figured out yet. I have barrels, but they had some kind of chemical in them. So no way I want to use them. They are sealed, and I just use them in my arena for training purposes. I'll have to wait till we go to the city to try to find barrels for this purpose. I have the word out for an old smaller water trough. I had a 100 gallon one years ago kicking around, that hubby the pack rat was saving for who knows what, and I got rid of it. Now I'm kickin my ***. It already had holes in the bottom of it. [Duh]

I was thinking at least 1/2" rope to hold the wood top down. :confused0024: Maybe too big?? Maybe 1/4" would do just as well.

Oh Mudder, I always save stuff, then hubby gets rid of it.....I am always finding something and then I start thinking of how I can make it useful, then hubby finds it before I can do anything with it and before I know it is gone!!!!

As for the rope size, I would have plenty of the 1/4 in, if I wouldn't have tied all those darn halters for someone, who now seems to be avoiding me.....maybe I will take one of them apart and use it....

I have 1 hour before I have to leave to pick up the boys, so off to the barrel I go....

Okay, this is what I did! Crossing fingers this works :twitch: with my luck the filly will figure out how to untie the knots..... : [bang Head]

post-50526-1235506309_thumb.jpg

post-50526-1235506328_thumb.jpg

I think you'd just hit "enter" between each picture.

So how are you attaching the rope on a daily basis? are you tying it each time?

That should work JM. Gosh, I hope it works anyway. If your pony can undo knots, you're in a heap of trouble. :winking:

SpottyT, just one rope would have to be retied, at the top, when you refill the hay.

Hey Mudder, since I know you're good at rigging stuff up, I will give you this idea [not sure which direction to take it though]

So my idea is, use a string in place of the bungee cord, just so that it ensures that the board cannot go on an angle and allow the horses to pig out on the hay. Then fabricate some sort of "lip" on the top of the barrel that you can remove but the horses cant... that way there the board would be able to stay loose on the string [allows it to fall lower and lower when the horses eat more and more] but if they tip it the lip would keep the board from falling out??

hope i sparked an idea :] :P

I am used to tying halters so I make alot of different kinds of knots, but this one you night know...it pulls tight but is very easy to get off, the other knots are the ones the I used to tie my halters...fador knots, once they are tied and pulled tight they don't come off easy, if that....I will try and figure out how to show you....

post-50526-1235521698_thumb.jpg

Hey Mudder, since I know you're good at rigging stuff up, I will give you this idea [not sure which direction to take it though]

So my idea is, use a string in place of the bungee cord, just so that it ensures that the board cannot go on an angle and allow the horses to pig out on the hay. Then fabricate some sort of "lip" on the top of the barrel that you can remove but the horses cant... that way there the board would be able to stay loose on the string [allows it to fall lower and lower when the horses eat more and more] but if they tip it the lip would keep the board from falling out??

hope i sparked an idea :] :P

I see what you're getting at, and I like the concept. But, I'm wondering tho, if because the barrel is going to be a little less than firm around the top, you'd somehow have to figure out a way to keep the lip thingy on there. [Question]

The strings will keep the lattice inside the barrel. You just don't want it tipping to the side so that they can dig the hay out from under the lattice part.

I'll think some more on it, see what I can dream up. The guys at my local co-op store are giving me the gears already. Wanting to know what I'm inventing this time. I had to tell them it wasn't my invention. I'm just trying to come up with ways to help make it work better. I even drew them a picture. They don't get it tho. They said just get rid of the horse, it will solve all your feeding problems. :rolleye0014: Ya, big help they were. Not funny.

IT WORKED!!! I put 3 sqs, worried she would tip the lattice, but I tied 3 ropes to the lattice, one on each conner, 2 with the tight knots and the one that will come on and off easy for me and hopefully she wont figure out how to get it off, have another knot in mind to do.....thought about this all night, thinking I would find hay all over the stall....didn't! [Yay] [Yay]

We will see what tomorrow brings...as for the barrel being floppy, I took the goralla tape, it is very thick, works great on wrapping hooves too, anyway, I wrapped it around the top of the barrel, did several times around on the inside of the edge, to the middle of the tape, then folded it over going around the barrel, does this make since? Anyway, doing that has made it stiffer up there, plus they can't cut themselves on the edge, I did file the edge but was worried.

The rope I used isn't the rope for the halters, I had found some lite weight clothes line rope, I used durring IKE to tie things down with, this stuff worked out great...it is lite enough to just roll up on the bottom under the lattice as they eat the hay down......so that the rope wouldn't come out at the bottom I tied ropes just like I attached them to the lattice....I mounted the barrel to the wall, with a big square bolt, I put 2 holes in the barrel on the side and pushed it through and through the wall, to the outside of the stall, it's working it's working, now watch tomorrow she will have figured this all out.

Have a great day, off to drop off kids and play with the horses....

I watched a bunch of the youtube videos this morning before work for PP and slow feeders. There weren't as many as I would have like to have seen. I did get a couple of ideas, will see what we come up with this weekend.

What if you used a small chain instead of rope? I am making a s;ow barrel feeder using your idea only I am going to try to loop a small chain through the lattice and use a clip to attach it to the chain. The bottom of the chain attached to a clip through the bottom of the barrel. Then to fill it you just unclip, fill and reclip. Any thoughts to how that might work? Also are any of you from the colder climates? I am in Iowa and several people have told me the lattice will shatter in really cold weather. I am making it now in hopes we won't have anymore crummy weather.

Because the Mustang has figured out how to take the lid off, this is what I was thinking about doing.

Using the design from a pill bottle, I want to take 4 pieces of wood (2x4), drill 4 holes in those + the rim of the barrel and tie them to the barrel (so I don't have to use screws or anything sharp...), and matching notches in the lid. You'd have to align them to drop the lid in, then twist it a bit so it would be rather hard to pull out. we'll see if that works.