saltwater redneck

Slow Feeders?

729 posts in this topic

Bearcat- are you talking about a 1/2 barrel? or one of the big ones? I used eye screws on mine to keep the lid on, then I tie a piece of baling twine to connect each eye together...I will see if I can make one of these pictures work, do a close up so you can see. Sound like your mustang is like my filly, if it is moveable, can come apart, she will get it done...I was suprised to see the 1/2 barrel still intact, with the way I tied the lattice.....

kidsncritters-I tried that, but couldn't find away to make the clip work right, I didn't want a big one on there that the could get hurt on, the chain sounds really good! You will have to let us know how that works.....

Well I bought yet another barrel....HELP ME!!! I can't stop myself from making these things......any new ideas running around out there....this one I am thinking of placing somewhere out futher in the pasture.

I made one of JMook's barrel feeders out of a big bucket and lattice from home depot. It worked really good the first couple days but then it got cold. I live in Northern CA but it does get cold-er-ish her from time to time. I'm sure it is nothing compared to what some of you experience. Anyway, the lattice had a rough day in the cold and didn't make it to say the least.

So I was thinking why not (if somebody has already done this I'm really not trying to steal your idea sorry!) put a hay net in the barrel and attach the hay net into the bottom similar to the rope or bungees? Then it would still slow them down, be fairly easy (probably easier than lattice and rope/bungees) to attach, and be flexible in cold weather. If you really needed to you could double hay net the hay to slow them down even more???

What do you think? Am I missing something that would be a problem with this? -Cat

Edited by Cat2

Cat, there is a link somewhere for hockey net hay bags. The holes are a lot smaller, so it really slows down their eating... if you invested in that it would probably save even more hay. then this way here too you can just put the bag on the ground ;]

cowgurl- my ground here is way to wet to put anything they need to eat on the ground unprotected. Plus I have to have some way to to secure it in place as they only have a small flat place and the rest of the pasture is a steep hill with electric fence. Wouldn't want them dragging it all over, pushing it under the fence, or getting caught in it. I'm sure it works for others though. -Cat

Oh Cat I am sorry the lattice didn't work out. We just don't get that cold here.....mine is working out great for the time being...the haynet would be great for you...I can't because of my gelding and his missing teeth, thinking he might snag it on the net, plus when he got hurt there was a net in his stall....so I don't trust them much, not sure if that is what he got hung in or not? Anyway, it might just be what your looking for.

Still my first one I made is the one I like the best...it is much easier then it looks...just wish I could figure out a way to make one small enough for the stalls?????

If I were you, I would look into the hockey nets.....they are smaller, I worry about the regular haynets, those holes are big, but thinking if you put it inside the barrel and tie it off so they can't drag it out, then it could work?????

On www.paddockparadise.wetpaint.com/thread they talk about different slow feeders...I believe I read on one of the threads about someone finding a place that sold the smaller holed haynets, I also believe they seemed to be a good price, thinking here, maybe around $6 ea.

Hope this helps.

Horses85- Thanks for the other site, I joined just to take a look....I am very interested in these things....

With the ways things are right now, I want to save as much money as I can, hubby might have to change from hourly to salary and if so, looks like one of my horses might have to be sold, I really don't want to be put in the position of having to make that choice????

Cat, must of been posting while you were, did you go look at my barrel on the poles? It isn't as hard as it looks and my horses love it.....

I wondered about using chain. It would certainly add a bit of weight to the top part.

What about using the lattice as a trace pattern on wood? Use a jig saw to cut it out, smooth out the edges with a file or sand them down. That might work for when it's colder out.

JMook- Are you talking about the one in the stall for your filly? If so yes- I did look at it. Right now I have a couple old big rig truck tires that still have a piece of the rim in them. They are smooth-no where to get caught and heavy to the point that I can hardly move them. I attached my buckets to them and so they don't move around. Now I just need something other than lattice to slow the eating down and keep the hay in the bucket.

I picked up a cheep hay net and the feed store tonight at the feed store but the holes are BIG. I may try to double it over but I have a feeling horsey noses will align the holes and it won't work. I'll give it a try though.

When/if that doesn't work I may try a hockey net or some such thing. We shall see what happens. Sometime will work eventually we all just have to keep trying with our individual horses and how are pastures/stalls are set up untill something works.

I'm just so thankful to have idea's from everybody. It's great! -Cat

When I went out to feed and stare at what I had tonight I got a new idea. Or at least I think it's new. I cut myself out a new piece of lattice (it's warmer here at the moment) and then put the hay net over the lattice and used the hay net to hold the lattice in.

I only have one net so I used it with my pushier horse and it didn't work all that great but still better than the lattice and bungees. He's a food hog so he was still able to push the lattice sideways a bit but not as bad. It may work just fine that way with my older less pushy horse.

I also thought that maybe if I got a smaller hay net that I could secure down tighter it might help. Off to look and see what I can find. -Cat

2 of my horses are on 24/7 turnout with a shed. They are on sand and in a very wet area. A couple of years ago I bought 2 oak draft horse feeders and put them inside the shed. TThey are bolted to the wall so they don't go anyywhere. A couple of weeks ago I ordered new small hole hay bags. the openings are very small. I put eye bolts in the bottom of the feeders and bolt them in. They love them. Can't get a foot in them or throw them out. I used 2 bolts - 1 for each end. Then clip them in. THey have only manged to get one of the clips undone but the other side held. Each net was 10 dollars and seem very sturdy. Destructo horse hasn't hurt them at all. Only draw back is I am at a boarding stable and the bags are hard to hook for the chore people. They are time consuming to fill for us but they last all day. I am still trying the barrel in hopes the chore people could fill them in the mornings or I could fill the barrels and the hay nets at night.

I'm really excited about these smaller hole hay nets.

Jmook- I found pictures of them but no info on where to get them at that website. However, I found that you can get them for $10 at http://www.smithbrothers.com/small-mesh-ha...3-27286/cn/105/

or dover has them for like 16 or 17 - I can't remember.

I think if I put them in the buckets it will work perfectly for my situation. The only thing I'm missing is movement but that is hard to attain in a feeder on a hill with electric fence. Maybe in the summer I can have a few different locations but in the winter they have to be under cover and in something.

Thanks for all the idea's! -Cat

The Grazer is nice but I don't care for the sharp edges nor THE PRICE.

For Small Mesh Hay Nets, Miller Harness has 'em too for $10: http://millerharness.com/product.asp?pn=X4-27286

I have two of these babies for the rare times my mares are stalled and, lemme tell ya, THEY'RE TOUGH.... I can get almost 1/2 a 35 lb. bale in one. I then take up 4 sections of the draw string into the clip side of a Humongo Lehigh Snap Bolt Clip (snap on one end, large eye-hook on the other). Then hang the net at face level with the eye-hook end up over their head, where it's safe.

Where once 2 -3 flakes would take my Clyde-X about 2 hours to inhale, it now lasts allll night (about 12 hours), with some even leftover in the morning.

I'm thinking of trying half a plastic barrel, with bottom cut out, mounted to a pole. Then, using a staple gun, affix the mesh hay net to the bottom edge.... kinda like a glorified basket ball goal! This way I could just dump the hay in from above and they'd eat out of the mesh net below.

Aha! That's exactly my idea EXCEPT I would only use a small-mesh hay net.... never a regular big hole one. Besides, the big hole ones let them eat way too fast.

Well today is a crappy day for me, so I was sitting here, went to paddockparadise and found this..... getting some ideas again.....

http://www.hay-hutch.co.uk/ I haven't done anything with my new barrel yet, but thinking I might beable to do something like this, now just how to make it stay in one spot, since I don't want them pushing it into the pond or mud??? Help anyone?

Well today is a crappy day for me, so I was sitting here, went to paddockparadise and found this..... getting some ideas again.....

http://www.hay-hutch.co.uk/ I haven't done anything with my new barrel yet, but thinking I might beable to do something like this, now just how to make it stay in one spot, since I don't want them pushing it into the pond or mud??? Help anyone?

I found this for those interested in the small hay nets....

http://paddockparadise.wetpaint.com/page/Blogs+and+Websites

there is alot of info on the page, go down to small haynet suppliers....

I ordered 3 of the Busy Buffets this morning http://www.busyhorse.com/

I get a free Busy Grande to go with. I want to use these in the smaller pens for the individual horses.

I looked all over the internet for similar products and was unable to find any that were cheaper, so just broke down and bought them.

JMook, does your barrel have a removable lid? I think that would be a ton easier for that new feeder. And I would cut the holes smaller than those seen to make for a "slow feeder." But I like the idea of holes just at the bottom for lower feeding. As for keeping it from moving around, how about putting a wooden fence post out there and screwing it to the fence post? That way you could actually put 2 feeders out there, one on each side of the post.

Hmmm... I kinda like that idea myself. Will have to look into that.

Oh darn... those overseas prices are not that bad!!!! Wonder if they have a U.S. Distributor? Are you up for a long-distance phone call? :winking:

Edited by Chocomare

SpottedTApps-Yes, it has a nice tight lid, I am also going to do like I did with the other one and make some holes that will line up and I put some snaps to hold it better......I like the idea of the pole, think I will do that...since the other one on the 2 poles is working out great.

Chocomare-No, can't make the long distance phone call, sorry!!!!!! To bad my son isn't going there instead of the sand, I could have him go and check them out.....crap that is is what is wrong with me...I am in worry mood!

I like the looks of the hay hutch, but the openings look big. I think I could work around that tho.

It's not a slow feeder, but if you find some way to close those holes up, it might work. It's still going to get empty and fall away from the holes at which point, I wonder if its really going to get beat up at this point. My goal without the spring idea would be to keep it full and working and not getting too empty and frustrating the horse. (but the slow down aspect may just slow him down enough to not have it frustratingly empty by the time you get back to fill it. You want a horse to settle in with this idea, not get frustrated with it.

I also like the tapered sides on the smaller ones. It invites the horse to stand square with it, rather than eating from the side, which is not natural. A horse that happens to rotate the same way checking out if the other holes have better access, might find him going around the same way, which is going to affect his whole body and his hooves. Atleast with the tape-type bags that are hung, you can hang them on different walls so the horse can get variety approaching from the right or left side. Atleast that's my feeling on it.

As for the spring idea I posted earlier, I too agree that I don't like the vessel at all...safety and restricted access, but it was the spring and how it worked that I wanted to imput.

Well I had a busy afternoon!!

First, I built a new and improved barrel feeder with wooden lid. I added holes for drainage and a couple of bigger ones so they could eat from the bottom.

356271513.jpg

I also added a bungee closure system so you know who won't toss the lid aside...

356271512.jpg

I can just unhook 1 side to fill it up...

Then, I built my MASTERPIECE!!! [Jump]

The small mesh hay net I had on hand fit perfectly over the full barrel, so I decided not to cut it...

356271510.jpg

The top from the other barrel fits right on there. Now, I just have to figure out how to secure it on there.

356271508.jpg

That one was super easy to build, and they seem to really like eating from the nets anyways. It sure will be a lot easier to fill up too...

Well I had a busy afternoon!!

First, I built a new and improved barrel feeder with wooden lid. I added holes for drainage and a couple of bigger ones so they could eat from the bottom.

356271513.jpg

I also added a bungee closure system so you know who won't toss the lid aside...

356271512.jpg

I can just unhook 1 side to fill it up...

Then, I built my MASTERPIECE!!! [Jump]

The small mesh hay net I had on hand fit perfectly over the full barrel, so I decided not to cut it...

356271510.jpg

The top from the other barrel fits right on there. Now, I just have to figure out how to secure it on there.

356271508.jpg

That one was super easy to build, and they seem to really like eating from the nets anyways. It sure will be a lot easier to fill up too...

I like!! I like it a lot!! [Not Worthy] You got good ideas girl. I'm impressed. [Not Worthy] Maybe we were just thinking too hard, and making this barrel idea harder than it needed to be. :confused0024:

Ok, so how far off the ground are you putting this barrel?

Edited by Mudder

Those are great! Thinking I might have to change to the wood......

Wish I could do the net, that is really cool! How are you filling it?

You know, you probably could have used some small eye bolts under the wood lid, to attach your bungee cords to. You know the screw with a loop on it. That would eliminate the rope under the wood top. That would work, and be easy to work with when filling with hay. Love your idea girl. :grin:

It would work wonderful for mini's especially. You could hang it a bit higher, and they couldn't reach the top to get inside it anyway.

Edited by Mudder

Got a question. Can you buy these barrels new like without having anything in them previously, say from Lowes or some place like that? [Question]

You know, you probably could have used some small eye bolts under the wood lid, to attach your bungee cords to. You know the screw with a loop on it. That would eliminate the rope under the wood top. That would work, and be easy to work with when filling with hay.

I really, really tried to stay away from anything sharp in any of these projects - screws, nails, etc...

Who knows when wood is going to get chewed up and risk exposing something pointy...

The rope actually worked GREAT when I filled it up tonight!

Here's how I hung it:

356279728.jpg

356279730.jpg

The lid comes off for easy filling from the top, and I just stuck 2 rods in there to keep it on.

The other one filled up:

356279731.jpg