mspaints

Aspirin To Horses?

9 posts in this topic

I was told to give my horse human Aspirin instead of animal pain medicines to help control pain. Someone had said they give their horse aspirin instead of bute to help with arthritis. I asked her how much and she said whatever he needs. It was to broad of an answer for me so I just used the bute then but it got me curious as to if you can give a horse human asprin? Has anyone? If so how much and what for?

Thanks..

You can definatly use BUFFERED asprins but I cannot remember the dosage for certain.

Its something like 400mg per 100 lbs of horse? I know I had to crush a TON of them when we did not have any bute before the vet came for a muscle injury. Vet told us what and how much, but its been awhile ago.

I have had my vet instruct me to give aspirin to my horse before. I gave it to my old gelding, Kelso. He was a smaller horse, maybe 900 lbs. He received 10 pills of buffered aspirin twice a day. Unfortunately, I can't remember how many mg they were. So I guess I am not much help. But yes, they can indeed take aspirin.

Hmmm.....interesting to know. I was thinking, if you could give dogs human joint supplements, horses might be the same.

i ahve a horse on aspirin right now.they make them in huge pills for horses.he gets them am and pm.you can also get aspirin powder...one tablespoon a day i think is average

One of my vet books says to give naproxen sodium instead of aspirin. That's Aleve. It said it's less likely to cause stomach problems. I gave Chief 9 of them for something. It was a long time ago, I don't remember clearly what he had going on....some kind of leg strain, I think.

Because medications are metabolized differently between species, some meds that are safe for one aren't for another and the dosages (mg/kg) vary.

For example....Soloxine. A thyroid hormone pill....people take it, dogs take it. But dogs take it at a much higher dose than people.

Another example...Rimadyl. Originally created as an anti inflammatory for people, it caused far too much jaundice and is now approved for veterinary use only.

Acetaminophen? Toxic to cats. But not to dogs.

Bute? Used in veterinary medicine now but not human medicine because there are more effective and safer NSAIDS to use.

My point is that just because something works for species A at dose X does not mean that it is the best choice for species B or that it will be given at dose X.

When in doubt, it is always best to consult your veterinarian.

For horses, aspirin is not the safest and most effective NSAID available and therefore, is not widely used. In a pinch you sure could. But I wouldn't when other medications are available.

actually it is marketed for horses in pill and powder form.

the horse we are currently dosing has some issues with his veins.we brought him home from the sale and he tied up the second day he was on the track,even though he was carefully worked.it was a nightmare getting into his veins to jug him with fluids and DMSO.our vet thinks that any time he has been given lasix or any other meds thru the vein it is casing some scarring and small blood clots.so he is on a vet prescribed regimen of aspirin tablet twice a day for the next 60 days.it will help dissolve the clots is the theory.

if i have a horse that is a bleeder,i use a tablespoon a day of aspirin in the grain.i worked for a vet who went to a seminar in Ca.using video they showed a horse that was treadmilled and bled thru lasix.he was put on aspirin and treadmilled again 30 days later.lasix was used both times.the thought is that the aspirin thins the blood and prevents the platelets from coating themselves and bursting the capillaries in the lungs.i have had success with the two horses i treated with the aspirin .