Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
horses89

Scale For Weighing Hay?

6 posts in this topic

I've always been an "eyeballer" when it comes to feeding hay, but with money getting a bit tight I'd like to make sure that I'm not overfeeding it unnecessarily. I would like to get a scale to weigh my hay. What kind of scale do you use for that? Do you use like a produce scale that hangs? Where would I get something like that?

Ellie,

You can go to any store that sells fishing supplies and get a fish scale if you do not have any other luck.

One that goes up to say, maybe 20 pounds?

The while you are at that same store, grab a canvas wood carrier. It should look like a long piece of canvas with a mesh handle at each end. Almost like a duffle bag with no sides. You can put your hay flakes in there, and hang the handles on the fish scale, which you can hang from just about anything..

So.. does this make sense? If no, let me know, and I will try and find a picture for you.

Baby scales work great too. You can get them at Target or Walmart. The tray is perfect for setting your hay on to weigh it.

I'll ditto the fish scale, mine's a 30-40# one, so you'll definitely get all your hay weighed. If you use a hay net just weigh in the net and then weigh the net separately..

I go mine here: http://www.affordablescales.com/scales_spe...&Ohaus_SD75

I think I have the SD75. I have it sitting on a upside down storage container and the readout mounted on the wall at eye level. Very easy to weigh, read, and quite accurate, though I think probably from the other suggestion you could likely get something cheaper.

I do like that it goes high enough that I can weigh a few full bales of hay from a new load and figure out how long that load will last me much more accurately. In this area they sell hay by the bale and weights vary from about 35-65 lbs. The hay sellers can rarely tell you, accurately, how much their bales weigh. :rolleye0014:

Edited by ExtraHannah