Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
goatygirly8241395281

Swollen Hind-leg Not Weight Bearing.

16 posts in this topic

I have a vet appointment at 1:45pm.

I came in to feed this morning and my horse's right hind leg was swollen and he wasn't putting any weight on it. The swelling is from his coronet band up past his hocks. It's hot between his fetlock and his hock. I can't find a vet anywhere near me that can get him in before 1:45 and the vet that can, I haven't heard good things about him. I'm off at college and the vet I use at home could get him in at 3 but is about an hour and a half or more away.

I checked on my guy's last night around 9 and both of them were fine. I let them graze for a little bit and then put them up. I can't imagine what could have happened. They are in concrete stalls but the floor is clay and shavings. It is possible that he could have kicked out or slipped but I dont know. Any ideas?

Possible snakebite? At least you know the vet IS coming .

I don't think it's a snakebite because I did some research on it and it said that there would be only minor swelling if a snake bit a horse's leg. I could be wrong though.

At least it's comforting to know the vet is coming soon, and your horse can start getting better....good luck, you'll let us know what it is?

He might have kicked the concrete wall.

He had a 103.7 fever. He thinks that there might have been a small puncture wound and then when he had the trauma to his leg it could've made the infection rear it's ugly head. The vet gave him some antibiotics and gave him banamine (not my choice but o well) we bought a tube of bute and we're supposed to give him tucoprim. We're hydro'ing 3 times a day so we'll see how it goes I'll post some pictures of what it looked like yesterday today.

Also I'm worried because his sheath is a bit swollen. I'm wondering if the infection travelled.

0514090806a.jpg

This was of his leg this morning while we were hydro'ing it.

0514090806.jpg\

This was yesterday in his stall when I first found it.

0513090850.jpg

And one more picture. These were some of the pictures that we took the night before all of this happened and he was perfectly fine.

IMG_1687.jpg

If it's a puncture it needs to be found. Seriously. things like this can go bad quick. I had the same exact thing happen to my mare. Leg was totally swollen with heat. She had a tiny tiny puncture on her knee joint. The infection was septic and she has to have surgery and 3 months of stall rest. Thankfully she got full mobility back in her knee (the infection was directly into the joint). It can become serious so keep watching it! They had to shave my mares leg to find the puncture.

I hope it's nothing too serious, but I would definitely get a vet that you know has a reputable background for a second look. May be more serious than you think..

Poor guy. I'll keep my fingers crossed he responds quickly to treatment!

I'm wondering if the infection travelled.

I'd be looking for a wound of some sort on the upper inside of the gaskin. Swelling from infection usually settles downward. If the sheath is also swollen, it stands to reason the wound would be closer to that area.

The leg should be wrapped in furacin to pull some of the swelling out, also at the clinic I work at, we use an antibiotic that's compounded called Aziomycin. It contains penicillin and dexamethasone so it's also great for swollen legs. I would definitely be hauling somewhere to get xrays and a second opinion.

The leg should be wrapped in furacin to pull some of the swelling out, also at the clinic I work at, we use an antibiotic that's compounded called Aziomycin. It contains penicillin and dexamethasone so it's also great for swollen legs. I would definitely be hauling somewhere to get xrays and a second opinion.