heza buster brown 48

Freestyle Reining Songs

9 posts in this topic

ok. ill try this again... So I have finally completed my 4H horse project and I am to my Level 7 pattern where i get to make my own freestyle reining pattern with the songs and everything. SO i'm in desperate need for some help finding a song that is upbeat and fun. kind of like the 80s music genre ect. Any help is appreciated =)

This has got to be the hardest part of freestyle. I have the same problem trying to decide what to drive to.

If you can get a video of your pattern, it makes it easier to pick and choose songs. Some things that seem perfect get all out of whack whenyou watch your horse against them.

I'll throw my 2 cents if you give me an idea of your horses's stride

I'll try. i dont have inet at my house so thatll be my biggest challege =s. Its hard to explain. Like shes short strided a quick but when you ask her to speed up its long and shes reaching under herself.. i was thinking of trying to do something like Amanda Johnson did for the Cinch freestyle reining with Gunpowder and Lead. its on you tube. =D amazing lol

ok so i had never seen that freestyle video so I trotted on over to youtube and I LOVE IT!!!! i'm a HUGE miranda lambert fan! If you want an 80s song you should check out Barracuda by Heart. Its a someday dream of mine to do a routine to that song...its fast and fun!!!! Of course all I need now is a reining horse.......off to rob a bank so I can buy another horse!

Make it fun and MEMORABLE!

Some of the quirky songs from the 80s and before with up tempo and some slow parts can work well.

Wild Angels--Martina

Grandma got runover by a reindeer- I did this one many many yrs ago...The costume was a blast

Monster Mash

Born to be Wild

How 'bout them Cowgirls--George Strait

All American Girl--Carrie Underwood When she does the All american grrrrrrrl...perfect place for a stop

Relax and listen to the song, whatever you choose. There has to be slow parts and fast parts. Visualise what you and the horse could do during the chorus and the verses. Ride with an ipod in the arena and choreograph your moves to fit the music. This was one of the most fun times I ever had showing a horse.

do you dress yourself and your horse up as well?

we always did,

I did crocidlie rock, wore a poodle skirt and saddle shoes, pony tail

dressed up in leather, bandanas on my horses head and mine, and did Born to be wild

dressed up in a black dress with salloon feathers and did IM to Sexy lol, had the words changed at the end to "Im to Sexy for my horse" and at that point I slid to a stop jumped off tossed the reins down and walked away from her

Corny I know but I was in middle school lol

Are you talking of just a free style riding pattern, or free style reining?

For free style reining, pick a song that has both fast and slow segments and think about how you will fit in all the elements (spins, stops lead changes, fast and slow circles. In free style, you only have to have all of the elements, and won't be marked off pattern, so can include manovers your horse is good at to a greater degree than those he is not so good at

In the past when free style reining was very popular, offered not just at world and national stock horse shows, but almost at all breed circuits, I used several songs

Mountain Music is excellent, esp if your horse has great spins. My husband being a hunter, I had no problem having hides, a racoon hat, rifle, buckskin jacket etc as part of my costume

I also used the Rolling stones song Painted Black, dressed up like a war vet

Devil Went down to Georgia was done not only by myself, but many others

I also did Cher's song, Gypsy Tramps and thieves

Garth Brook's song The Thunder Rolls also works

If you really want some great ideas, just order the CD of Free style reining from one of the ApHC world shows.