Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
redsnow

4-h Show-box For State Fair?

9 posts in this topic

Just curious if anyone has plans/ideas for a show box. We found one plan for a box, it's way too big, and would take 2 guys to carry it empty. Only need room for feed, brushes, etc. for 5 days. I've still got 4 weeks to get it made, but sure would appreciate any tips. Thanks. timbo

I've always used rubbermaid storage containers. You can get big ones with wheels and the hole for a padlock for $18 at walmart. Its affordable, light, has wheels, is waterproof, and will never rot.

I thought about that, also thought about buying a big ice chest. Really it's for my little girl, she's showing her goats. Then I found out the box will be judged for her "showmanship". So, can't hardly send her down there with a plain-jane box. Guess I'll get a sheet of plywood and see what happens. Thanks, anyone else have plans?

We used to have plans for our horses tack boxes. NOt really big enough for a saddle IMO. But that was in 1991. I can't find them now. But I still have the box! Maybe ask other 4h'ers or horse 4-h'ers. We all had to have matching boxes.

Edited by LMK1975

Darn, I hope they don't all need to be matching boxes, nobody said anything about that to me. The one I'm building is "one of a kind". Finished the box part today, need to get hinges, and make a lid. It's about 34" X 18" X 14, give or take. I'm making it so a 5-gallon bucket will fit, gonna have a sliding shelf, plus room for junk on the bottom. Using 3/8" plywood, trying to cut all the weight I can. Not sure about handles yet?

Here's the finished (almost) box, that's the shelf, it'll slide from side to side.

IMG_9323.jpg

In this pic you can see, I made a "door prop", door chain on one end. It's far from perfect, but hope it'll do the job. Should have room for feed, brushes, water hose, bug spray, etc. Need to do a little sanding, scrape off some of the grime, and let her paint it, then go around with some caulk, and add the handles. Full of sawdust now, I'm no carpenter but it don't look all bad.

IMG_9325.jpg

Couple coats of paint, should be OK. And I've got almost 2 weeks to spare. hehe.

That looks nice. Depending on your (or a friend's) artistic ability, how about a farm name on the front and top with a goat head?