mye

Teeter Totter Dimensions

5 posts in this topic

I am building a trail teeter totter for my horse & can NOT find any information on how long it should be.

I don't want it to be any longer than needed, & of course, I don't want it to be too short.

Does anyone know?

Years ago, I made mine out of a 4'x8' sheet of plywood, 4' long sections of 2x4s and a 6' diameter peeler core (aka garden timber/poles) about 8 foot long for the teeter section. A couple of lag bolts and some deck screws held everything in place.

If you start off with the peeler core set into a 3-4 inch deep "ditch" the height that the teeter-totter tips up and down will be less and will make your horse feel more secure. For a real skittish horse I set it to tip about 1/2 inch and then tossed in more and more fill dirt underneath as the horse became comfortable qith the angle and amount of up/down movement.

Have Fun!!!!!

Lets see if this pix comes thru..

It's a pix at our training course.. I don't know the dimentions, but I do know the main supports are 6x6's So that should give you a rough idea of the size.

DSCF8805.jpg

Thanks guys for your input.

We've got one made... finally.

All 3 horses walk right across it. Guess I need to make it higher for more challenge. Only problem was the slipping on smooth wood. Same problem with wooden bridges out on the trail. For now I'm going to sprinkle some sand on the surface. I'd hate to have them become affraid to cross it because they slipped.