Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OTTB-LUVER

North American Spotted Haflingers?

46 posts in this topic

North American Spotted Haflingers

Does anyone know what they are crossed with?

There's a filly about half way down that looks like a National Show Horse, more than a Hafie!

PS If this has already started a fuss I dont want to start a new one.

Click on bilaws page from the link up top.

They're crossed with Paints.

edited cuz I clicked reply accidentally

Edited by manesntails

I've never heard of them. Must be a fairly new registry.

Nice looking horses, though. Sure don't look like Halfies, do they?

Cute but...why?

I can see the Halflinger breeders in Europe cringing from here.

Bumper

Maybe they are supposed to be "warmbloods of color" only in a smaller size for smaller riders and kids? :confused0024: Have to give them credit... at least they are breeding NICE looking horses with decent conformation, not some fugly looking things with conformation faults and obvious health defects.

If I was shorter and didn't weight too much for a horse that size, I'd want one... would be easier to mount than my almost-16hh mare.

Maybe they are supposed to be "warmbloods of color" only in a smaller size for smaller riders and kids? :confused0024: Have to give them credit... at least they are breeding NICE looking horses with decent conformation, not some fugly looking things with conformation faults and obvious health defects.

If I was shorter and didn't weight too much for a horse that size, I'd want one... would be easier to mount than my almost-16hh mare.

look liek arabs or arab quarter horse crosses to me. I guess people are just trying to come up with their own registry to increase the cost of buying horses registered, then of course they will want their own shows and the list goes on.

there are enough breeds of horses to choose from we don't need anymore. and some of those breeds like morgans, arabs, tenn walkers have already been ruined in one way or another deviating from teh original standard.

want a hunter you have a dozen types to choose from, dressage? same thing, want to do western shows like pleasure well plenty of horses to choose from to do that. I mean do we really need a new breed which basically is just a crossbreed which hasn't had the decades needed to achieve a standard standard? all it is is a expensive grade.

like the dogs they cross breed two purebreds who by the way were achieved from many years of standardization, cross them and get a mutt and sell them for more than the parents cost a peice. people are something else.

I happen to like haflingers but I can't get one unless pretty big as it has to be able to carey 260 plus the weight of 18 pound saddle. so many around here are for sale and only about 2 would be big enough but not ready to get a horse yet that barn of mine needs new floors cleaned up, and some fencing has to be put up,and can'[t do that till spring. I would rather see people continue to breed haflingers as such and not try to change them or use them simply to produce a new color breed.

RRRR

I think they are just beautiful, they mix breed everything else why not these two? I have a friend that has haflinger/quarter pony mix and she is nice.

If I ever had chance to get on it would be colt and it would get cut, I dont wont a stud.

Cute but...why?

I can see the Halflinger breeders in Europe cringing from here.

Bumper

Yeah, what I thought.

There are a lot of Haflinger x Quarter and Haflinger x Paint crosses in Germany though. They make very nice little Horses, but I don't think they get registered anywhere.

A new cross? What for?? Why can't they just let them be Haflingers? They are a great breed on their own, no need to cross in something, IMO. :confused0024:

A new cross? What for?? Why can't they just let them be Haflingers? They are a great breed on their own, no need to cross in something, IMO

same question

why have

spotted saddle breds,

spotted TWH

spotted paso fino's

even apps/ pinto's/ paints are crossed..

spotted mountain ponies, horses...

spotted draft horses

reasons color, conformation, dispostion..same reason as the other new breeds..

they were crossed with APHA stallion

http://www.nash2006.com/main.htm

spotted horses did exist in europe before coming to america...http://ishaps.com/Spotted%20breed%20information.htm

Edited by Ann Wheeler

that is what they want..a different look for a new breed....

depends on what type hlaflinger mare theya re breeding to real stocky built or not so stocky ,there are some halflingers that aren't built real stocky ...

thecoloring throws them off....

But these "Spotted Haflingers" don't even look a bit like Haflingers any more. They look like totally different horses.

Agreed 100%.

Bumper

I think they are just beautiful, they mix breed everything else why not these two? I have a friend that has haflinger/quarter pony mix and she is nice.

If I ever had chance to get on it would be colt and it would get cut, I dont wont a stud.

And that in a nutshell is the problem. They mix breed everything else....and flood the already glutted market. For what...a pretty color??? How many thousands of horses are abandoned every year???

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Bumper

spotted saddle breds,

spotted TWH

spotted paso fino's

even apps/ pinto's/ paints are crossed..

spotted mountain ponies, horses...

spotted draft horses

reasons color, conformation, dispostion..same reason as the other new breeds..

THIS is the reason that 'color' breed registries make me shudder, I think people want a 'pretty spotted pony' and as Jeff Goldblum says in Jurassic Park "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should" lol

THIS is the reason that 'color' breed registries make me shudder, I think people want a 'pretty spotted pony' and as Jeff Goldblum says in Jurassic Park "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should" lol

[ROTFL]

We have GOT to stop agreeing with each other, people will start to think we're buds.

Bumper

"North American" ... *cringe*

Can you say run out and get your new designer puppy now?

Someone figured out that they weren't making money off their Haffies (yorkies) and they weren't making money off their paints (cockers) so they mixed them together and gave them a novel new name.

My opinion is that that registry will hold about as much respect as the American Warmblood does. Probably less.

I was trying to see what sactioned shows they have... ahhh, Pinto shows. I didn't realize haffies were recongnised in the Pinto association.

Edited by mrs

[ROTFL]

We have GOT to stop agreeing with each other, people will start to think we're buds.

Bumper

kinda creepy aint it?? :tongue9:

Here's a sign of the investment and intelligience they have put into building their website (besides the dumb "water fountain" on the cover page)

If you would like to become a part of the history of a new breed of horse and registry that is apporved by the Pinto Horse Association of America, please contact out registry.

There are many states in which you can become the first:

* The first to become a member.

* The first to own a registered North American Spotted Haflinger horse.

* The first to have one born in your state.

* The first to show in halter, undersaddle or driving.

First and foremost... get an editor.

This is a flegling registry that as far as I can see doesn't have any other goal in mind than to cross two breeds. What is their goal? If it's simply to have a new colour horse it's not enough IMO.

oh! oh! *bites tongue*

http://www.nash2006.com/images/9-21-08%20c6.jpg

I also see a lot of very traditional attire in those pictures. Is this an Amish thing or something?

Edited by mrs

OUCH mrs! I hate that picture, looks like that poor horse (who is obviously really young, too young to be jumping and especially on a line!) is going to wreck a stifle.

And yes, the designer dog breeder analogy is perfect.

Bumper

you all crack me up! I guess the world is full of crazy horse people. [Crazy] let's fill the market with overpriced mutty horses. then we really can have a glut for the slaugher market. should drive the price for horsemeat down don't you think?

to me performance and ability to stay sound, trainability and the like are more important than color.

RRRR

OMG I saw some people at a open show that had two foals and their hafie dam's. that were saying they were NASH reg. The people were even passing out flyers on the "new breed" with some cheezy story on how they started it with their mares that they wanted pretty colored foals out of. In my opinion it is simply a joke. Same as the designer dogs. The horses I saw looked terrible. The mare's were very underweight the foals were pot-bellied and wormy looking. These people obviously didn't know what the crap they were doing either. The were showing the horses with manuer stains and just looking plain nasty.

I couldn't help but laugh about it. These people really thought they were doing something special too.

MMN

uuuummmmm......... eeeehhhhhhhhh....... aaaaahhhhhhhhh........weeeelllllllllll....... maybe.......no.........it could........ nah...........

Only in America.....

*sigh*

uuuummmmm......... eeeehhhhhhhhh....... aaaaahhhhhhhhh........weeeelllllllllll....... maybe.......no.........it could........ nah...........

Only in America.....

*sigh*

I know, and it makes me cringe.

*blaerk*

(and thanks bud for my new favorite word!!!)

Bumper

well there getting a LOT of hype now...they were in one of the mags this month too! I just wonder if the "dutch" in these web site are the ONLY ones that are doing it? There also really into breeding dogs...remember puppy mill's? its just a shame....we already have "1/4 ponys"!what is the big deal on these? and I wonder if they keep that "Bomb-proof" personalty after crossing with a "high strung" 1/4 or paint? I think not....

the thing is.... no matther what the goal of this breeding is, it is a goal that could have been reached through motivated and selctive breeding within one of the breeds this cross consists of. (in this case, breeding for a shorter, stockier paint..)

problem is that it would take generations, and that just does not make you money next spring, now does it?

once i think of it like that, all seriousness of the breeding operation go out the window for me. these people are creating a hype about something that really are not all that special at all. the color is flashy, and the "haflinger" word is a bit exotic, but they have nothing to do together, and they shouldnt either.

besides... the issues these horses might suffer will not come to show for a generation or two yet... once they are bred to eachother, or to other breeds, it may get very very obvious that there are 2 sets of very different genes in there, and we will see if they both pass on equally strong...

i wish the (PURE) breed organisations would just trademark the names of the breeds... that way there could not be a "North American Spotted Haflinger"... only a "North American Spotted". i wonder if they wouold be as desirable to breed then?