chevaltx

What To Feed A "hot-blooded" Horse?

15 posts in this topic

I need to put some weight on a hard-keeper (TB/Oldenberg cross), but I don't want to make him even more "hot". Does Alfalfa, Corn oil, Barley, or sweet feed make a horse hot?

barley and sweet feed as well as alfalfa can .. the corn oil is just fat so shouldn't

don't you have a thread in health about this horse??

Pick a feed higher in fat and lower in protein. Add corn oil. Feed plenty of top quality hay. Triple Crown makes an excellent senior feed, as well as a "complete" feed that worked wonders on any horse I've ever had.

Protien does NOT make a horse hot, if it did I would be in BIG trouble since my "feed" is 32% protien :)

As said before, protein does not make a horse hot. Carbohydrates do.

So feeding alfalfa, which is about 16%-22% protein, and not much carbs, should not.

Sweet feed is almost ALL carbs, and with the phosphorus in it, can be contributing to cushing and sugar overload.

We feed a lot of plain 3-way hay, and not much sweet feed except to lactating mares/hard workers. By the way, adding oil can be a great way to keep the body heat up when it is cold, without the "hyper" overload.

Keep good quality hay in front of them all the time, and let them eat like horses. That is what they are designed to be.

I beg to differ!! Protein - too much, anyway, can in FACT make a horse hot. Seen it, read about it, know it. Depends on how you feed it.

I refer you to this link.

www.shady-acres.com

Article by Susan Garlinghouse D.V.M., MSc

Equine researcher

I beg to differ!! Protein - too much, anyway, can in FACT make a horse hot. Seen it, read about it, know it. Depends on how you feed it.

Would you please share this link ??

THat is a OLD OLD wives tale. What the real problem is that most of the higher protien feeds are LOADED with corn and other sugary goodies.

Thanks so much for referring to my opinioins as old. Really appreciate that.

If you've been around horse folks long enough, you know we all have our opinions and we all believe we are correct.

You are entitled to yours and I am entitled to mine. I respectfully disagree with you.

I do agree that other added items in "sweet" feeds compound the issues at hand - that's a no-brainer. If you've ever attended a class on the way a horse metabolizes, including the foregut and hindgut etc., as I did when I worked for a feed company, you may not be quite as quick to discount my opinion.

Additionally, over the 30-some odd years of horse ownership, barn management, etc. that I have lived thru, I have tried and proved my theory. So to be honest, whether your theory holds water or not, it matters very little to me. I go with what I KNOW.

The research backs what I Know and you don't know what I have done so how can you dismiss me??

Like I said old ways die hard

Well you both are sorta right imo. The horse breaks down the excess protein it consumes into urea and carbohydrates. Like any carb, it is used for energy through cellular respiration. Or stored as fat. Urea is then eliminated as urine since horses cannot use it as a protein source like cows can ? and the source of the wives tale that excess protein causes kidney damage. It?s because the horse has to eliminate all that urea. Feeding protein for energy is a waste of money since protein is not an efficient energy source due to how the cells deal with it during respiration. Which is also why breaking down excess protein produces more body heat as compared to carbs and lipids.

So stay away from the sweet feeds and other high energy feeds. Horses metabolize fats much better than all that sugar. And don't be afraid to feed alfalfa. It is actually lower in fructose than most grass hay and it is fructose that is causing all the laminitis issues.

Edited by dgRuffian

Yeah, also what DGRuffian said...TeeeHeee!