Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soquile1

Anyone Had A Horse With A Hematoma On

11 posts in this topic

Just got back from the barn after my mares two year old filly kicked the crap out of her. Other than minor scraps and being sore from being kicked in the legs she is fine. Until I lifted her tail and noticed a hematoma next to her hooha. She seems uncomfortable as it probably feels like she is having a major wedgie. It was a toss up whether to call the vet as she was acting normal, eating, pooping and no fever. I gave her two grams of bute to help with the soreness. What should I look for as I have never had a horse with a hematoma. There is no hoof mark or cuts in that area or redness. Her parts are not swollen and look completely normal it is just pushing it a little to the side. Any advice would be appreciated as far as how long do they normaly take to go down, should she be on stall rest or put out to walk etc. Thanks!

PS: they are seperated now. I think the filly finally had enough of her mother being over protective.

Oh thats awful! That filly is just full of it! How disrespectful! I guess it was time to separate them. I hope she misses her Mother!

I'm glad that nothing critical was hurt back there. Cold compress(or cold hosing) for the swelling and would also alleviate the pain. I would think it would it will settle, dissipate and come back down with time. I'm sure there will be better advice following. If she was my horse and moving around ok, I'd leave her outside/movement, rather than "pooling" in stall and stiffening up...as long as she's at peace where she is and probably being able to still see the filly would give her that peace moreso than a stall. Keep an eye out on those legs...bonier places.

Poor girl! I have a feeling that she's going to be sore for awhile. Bad filly! :twitch:

Edited by missyclare

Sounds like your filly needs to be turned out with a herd who will put her in her place.

I would leave it alone, no bute. Bute is not like giving a human a tylenol. It's something that should only be used when absolutely necessary as it's hard on the horse's stomach. That's why it's a prescription only drug, not to be prescribed for every little bump and bruise. I would just keep an eye on it.

Edited by manesntails

Manes- my vet prescribed Bute for a hematoma on my mare's vulva. Its prescribed for pain AND inflammation. Not just pain. It helps with the swelling that definitely is occuring with this kick.

Soquile- I went through this not to long ago. Two mares back up and went after each other. My mare had a hematoma on her vulva the size of a baseball. The other mare needed 100 sutures. Vet prescribed bute and SMZ's for both and had us cold-hose both for 25 minutes twice a day. Had a bit of fussing at first, but after a minute they both relaxed and sighed. Felt GOOD to them!

Edited by Hibiscus

Hibiscus..............Quoting the OP:

"Her parts are not swollen."

And your VET prescribed the Bute, you did not medicate without the advice of the vet and this mare is NOT swollen so there is no inflamation to relieve and no need for bute, IMHO. I say this on the advice of the Vets I've worked with on the track, all Univ. Of PA. Vets, New Bolton Center.

Just a question, is a hematoma itself not considered swelling? I was told by the vet to give Bute the help the swelling *of the hematoma* to go down.

A hematoma is a blood blister. It is swollen with blood, not clear fluid. Just like if you pinch your finger and get a blood blister, the blood has to be absorbed and does not go away with anti inflammatories which work on clear fluids. That's my understanding of it.

I have had horses, dogs and myself with hematoma. It's just where the blood pools under the skin . If there is surrounding tissue swelling and damage-the bute will take down the swelling and alleviate pain.

The blood itself will be reabsorbed into the body. I have used a syringe to remove excess -Usually it is just a minor eyesore for a few days. A drain tube is installed for a major injury.

Anyone who has raised horses knows that things happen, some more serious than others. Cold water for the first 48 hours will help reduce swelling-Warm and cold alternately will help blood flow to the area and promote healing.

Well good news. She is walking much better. I think that the bute is helping with the pain of being kicked in the legs and the swelling has gone down slightly in all areas including her back end. She is not stretching trying to get comfortable so hopefully after a couple more days she will be even better. Thanks for the advice. My vet is the one who has given me the bute and I also have smz's on hand and know how to use both and not over-medicate. Thank you for all who were concerned as I know meds in the wrong hands are not good. Keep your fingers crossed that she makes a speedy recovery! [smiley Wavey]

Been there, done that.

387342305.jpg

I called the vet as soon as I saw it as she had just spent a night in the clinic colicking and I was completely freaked out thinking she was prolapsing something. After the vet got there and I calmed down, I looked closer and realized it was a cut. The vet did cut a little bit off and he was on antibiotics and bute as needed. Didn't get to ride for about a month as she was a little sore (completely justified). Healed up just fine.

Farah///Wow, that looks like it hurt!

Well, put her out to walk and I guess she didn't like being in her stall for a day as she took off and ran all over the pasture kicking up a storm. So needless to say she feels much better and her legs look good. Her hematoma is still the same size, maybe a wee bit smaller but after some research I guess it can take some time to absorb the blood so I will just keep a good eye on it as she doesn't seem uncomfortable anymore.