LostHorseRider

Value Of A Saddle With Torn Seat?

9 posts in this topic

What would the Value of a Niedersuss Olympik that the seams in the crotch area of the seat are torn on each side? about 2inchs on one side and 1 1/2 on the other? Other then that saddle is in AMAZING shape and has been VERY well taken care of.

Leather is buttery soft and supple.

Thanks!!

I can add pictures if needed!

It's worth whatever someone will pay for it.

If the splits in the seat don't bother you, then go for it. But it will cost about $500 to have a new seat put on it it that is needed. You can patch it, but that's still going to be expensive and isn't going to hold as well.

Ok. thanks I guess what I was trying to ask (but failed lol) was I see the same saddle for sale used around 1400. How much would the seat knock off a price like that? As resale value incase it dosn't fit my horse down the road when he gets in shape..

Thanks!! [Jump]

Edited by LostHorseRider

I bought a Kieffer dressage saddle that had two rips in the seat for $50. Only other issue was that the billetts needed replacing which costed $60. Other wise very minor cosmetic issues such as scratches.

Point being, it was dirt cheap, very used, but price decrease probably from the torn seat.

Somebody I know was quoted around $600 to fix a torn seat on her saddle (an upper-end saddle she's had for years which was otherwise in good shape). She took that opportunity to buy a brand new saddle instead. It cost more, but she figured she'd also want to restuff the panels on the torn one while she was at it, replace the billets, etc. as it was obviously well used, and after all was said and done, it just plain wasn't worth it to her.

Point being, you'd have to factor in more than just the repair cost. Include time, the unknown of having the saddle messed with, etc. Ultimately, I think you're looking at taking off $700 or so from the value otherwise. The Olympik is a nice saddle though, so you may find somebody who would still be willing to pay a fair amount for it.

IF I had all the money in the world ;-), I would pay no more than $300-$400 for a used KN with a torn seat. I've seen some used in great shape go for $900-$1k, so if you figure in the repair cost to have the buyer fix the seat, you are looking at having to drop the price approx $600. If someone is looking for a KN, they are going to be more willing to pay $1k for one w/o a torn seat than spend $500 on one with a torn seat and then another $500 to fix it...way too much hassle. It's more than likely that the person who buys it will not have it repaired, or they may patch it at the least. They will probably purchase it for schooling. The only time I would fix the seat entirely is if I got the saddle for $200-$300. Depending on the costs of repairs in your area, you may be better off fixing the seat and listing it for $900-$1000.

Thanks! I bought it for $350 and the English tack shop I asked about getting it fixed told me $800..I thought that was rather high but out here in western world and them being the mane tack shop for the area...I don't REALY have any plans on selling it. I always have plenty of horses around its bound to fit one.

Thanks again!!

Huh, that's funny... my dressage saddle had a badly ripped seat and I had the seat replaced for under $200 with really nice buffalo leather.

Wiseacre, I'm looking for a good tack repair person myself. Who did your seat replacement? Thsnks for any help!