Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kidsncritters

World Percheron Congress Results Video Added

40 posts in this topic

My 16 year old son was fortunate enough to be able to compete in the World Percheron Show in DM, Iowa last week. We met some of the nicest people. Learned a ton and made memories to last a lifetime! He amazed me with his skill.

He got

14th- walking plow

11th which is reserve and they call your name but no ribbon in the sulky plow

7th in the farm yard pull ( he tied and had a pull off for 7ht/8th)

3rd in the feed team race which put him in the finals (top 6 out of 36 teams)

13th log skid

1st in obstacle class (He had a perfect run with no time faults and a time of 3:15. The second place guy got 3:54.

1st in antique vehicle class

3rd in costume class.

He competed in the farm classes against the old guys who have spent a lifetime doing this. They were amazing. There are no youth classes in the farm team stuff because there just aren't enough kids. It was such a great thing to be a part of.

Now for the good stuff.

His dog, Copper keeping his bed warm in the trailer.

DSC02298.jpg

Waiting at the walking plow.

DSC02214.jpg

After the antique vehicle class with his cousin's son.

DSC02485.jpg

He was the Grim Reaper for Halloween (and the costume class)

DSC02589.jpg

I have more but they aren't uploaded yet. Check back for more pics and video.

Edited to fix a duplicate pic.

Edited by kidsncritters

Tell your son I said [Not Worthy]

That is way too cool. Competing with the good ol' boys is a bit intimidating. I'm very impressed. Now..... are there more pictures?? :happy0203:

Edited by Quincy's Keeper

It was loads of fun to go and watch, and to have someone to root for. After eavesdropping a bit, I introduced myself to kidsncritters. I figured there weren't too many people there with 16 year old sons competing. :) I was there for the obstacle course, antique vehicles, and costume class. For your viewing pleasure... :)

During the antique vehicle class:

DSCN0485.jpg

DSCN0492.jpg

After the antique vehicle class:

DSCN0493.jpg

DSCN0496.jpg

During the costume class:

DSCN0509.jpg

Tracy

Those were wonderful pictures. [Not Worthy] Your son did a great job. Thanks for sharing.

Nice work for such a young man. He must work hard and have some natural talent with his horses. Congratulations!

WHooooo Hoooo!!!!!!!!!!! That's great!

Gorgeous horses! :happy0203: LOVE the grim reaper!

Ok, quick question...I feel dumb asking this. But oh well. The fly net over the horses while pulling the hearse (that IS a hearse-type deal, right?) Was that because there were flies out, or for decorations' sake, or because back in the day when they actually pulled dead bodies around with horses, they NEEDED fly protection for the horses because of the draw from the bodies?

Great pictures! That looks like a neat show. I've always admired percherons. It sounds like your son did a great job!

WHooooo Hoooo!!!!!!!!!!! That's great!

Gorgeous horses! :happy0203: LOVE the grim reaper!

Ok, quick question...I feel dumb asking this. But oh well. The fly net over the horses while pulling the hearse (that IS a hearse-type deal, right?) Was that because there were flies out, or for decorations' sake, or because back in the day when they actually pulled dead bodies around with horses, they NEEDED fly protection for the horses because of the draw from the bodies?

Actually it is a great question. It is mourning garb. The hearse is authentic from the very late 1800's. They still use it today for funerals. It was used to show respect for the dead and did double as fly sheets. It is almost a yarn like feel to it. The work teams have a different fly type netting. The work teams ones are a lot more durable and not as fancy. No flys at the show but we put it on to make it look more authentic and scary.

Congrats!!! My parents were going to go to the show but never made it up there. I'd have loved to have gone. Love the big ole teams.

Getting the trophy for the obstacle class. He was hitched up for the antique vehicle class.

DSC02470.jpg

After the farm team pull

DSC02439.jpg

DSC02316.jpg

DSC02248.jpg

It was so great to meet Traci at the show. This is a great place to be. The wonderful people I meet are so much fun. Also you guys like to look at my pics. Everybody else is getting tired of them already. :rotf:

Your son should feel so very proud of himself.

Can you explain the classes...feed team race and farm team pull and maybe what happens or how they are judged for the farm plow??

One can never post too many pictures. Especially ones like this [Jump]

Please and thank you [Huggy]

*sniff* Makes me miss my big black ladies all over again!

how long have you ben showing at world percheron??? You dont by chance know a John Adimitz do you had two mares named monique and goldie? Showed and won some classes in 2002-2004

SO dang cool! I love, love love the hearse. (One of those will make an appearance at my funeral.) And the tassels on the horses' ears are awesome.

I can't believe he didn't win the costume class.

He was the Grim Reaper for Halloween (and the costume class)

DSC02589.jpg

What is he standing on? How tall is that kid?!

Tell us about the team. They are gorgeous.

Wow! That's so cool.

I'd love to see and hear more too.

PS... your son isn't too bad to look at... methinks you'll be beating cowgirls off of him shortly.

Kidsncritters son is 6'3" or 6'4", and he is standing on the rumps of his team. :smilie: He obviously has put a lot of time in with the team. All three trust each other, and know each other well. I missed it, but I guess after the obstacle course that he won some of the "old timers" said they weren't giving him any more advice. That he had learned plenty from them. All in good fun, of course, more of a compliment than a complaint.

Tracy

Your son and the boys do the Browns proud. (they censored me!)

Log skid, obstacle, and feed team are all timed events with penalties.

Log skid is ground driving while skidding a beast of a pole (looks 15') throuh a series of cones and barrels. Will include a figure 8.

Obstacle race is a driven race where you do some of the same manoevers you did from the ground, serpentine, figure 8, plus backing, walkovers. Penalties come from knocking over barrels and cones, having a wheels of the cart outside the course and loping.

Feed team starts out as a head to head (2 teams in the arena) race with a driver and swamper. Typically 6 bales of hay are on the sled and the driver serpentines down through a course, turns around at the far end of the arena, comes back, stops at a designated spot, swamper pulls off 2 bales jumps back on the sled and they drive down to the next drop off 2 more times. Penalties acrue for broken bales, bales hanging off the designated dropoff spot,knocking over barrels and loping.

Pulls are the one thing most can see at your local fair. Horses are divided based on their combined weight into light, middle and heavyweight. They pull a load on a sled 20' and with every sucessful pull more weight is added. Teams are eliminated and lenght of partical pulls of like weight determine placing. (Say 2 teams can't pull the total weight, the one that pulls it farther is placed above the other team.)

Walking plow (ground driving) and sulkey plow (driving) are plowing contests that are typically plowing a 50' furrow. It is judged on straighness and depth.

Edited by daisysmom