Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RickisSweetSmoke

Brenderup Towing Vehicle

13 posts in this topic

allegedly the brenderup horse trailers can be pulled by any V6. Has anyone found one vehicle more or less successful towing these trailers? Thanks in advance.

not *any* V6. the vehicle has to have a wheelbase of at least 93 inches...which is actually pretty much any car except perhaps your super compact "smart" car types, which don't typically have a v6 anyway...lol

I've never seen a brenderup being pulled by a car, always s light truck or SUV.

We borrowed a Brenderup when we bought our gelding. Towed it behind our Toyota 4Runner that has the tow package, all on paved roads and highways. No problems towing, but don't know how it would have been with 2 horses and tack on board.

I would not try towing a Brenderup or any horse trailer with a car. They really aren't designed for towing so you'd probably ruin your transmission.

At one time I wanted a Brenderup, but after borrowing that one changed my mind. The "escape" doors are too small for comfort and I doubt my husband could get through one with his bad back.

I saw some when I was in Germany being pulled by Mercedes station wagons. Most that I saw (and there were a lot) of the Brenderup type were being pulled by mid-size SUVs.

Here is what the web site says;

ENGINE 120 Horsepower 125 Horsepower

WHEELBASE 93" minimum 93" minimum

HITCH 2" class II or III 2" class III??

HITCH HEIGHT 17.5" - 19" from top of ball to ground 17.5" - 19" from top of ball to ground

TONGUE WEIGHT 100 lbs 150 lbs

Examples of vehicles that will safely tow and stop a BRENDERUP - - in no particular order.

- Mercedes Benz ML Series

- Lexus LX 470, RX300

- Acura- MDX

- Chevrolet- Astro Van, Venture Van, Blazer, S-Series & Tahoe

- Dodge- Caravan, Dakota, Durango

- Ford- Ranger, Explorer

- Honda- Passport, Pilot

- Isuzu- Trooper, Axiom, Rodeo

- Jeeps

- ALL- Land Rovers

- ALL- Mazda- MPV Van, B-Series (Most)

- Mitsubishi- Montero LS

- Nissan- Pathfinder, Quest Van, Xterra

- Toyota- 4Runner, Land Cruiser, Highlander, Rav

- Volvo- XC90, V70

- Volkswagen- Touareg

- Porsche- Cayenne?

This is only a partial list. It does not include any passenger cars, many of which will safely tow and stop a BRENDERUP!

Your driving situation and geographical location also play a part in selecting a tow vehicle suitable for your particular trailering.

Don't exceed vehicles makers recommendations for tongue load. Take advanta

I towed a single horse Benderup on a 20 mile trip with my Chevy S-10 with towing package and it was not something I'll ever do again. We didn't even come close to touching the tongue load limit and it handled like crap. I don't know how people tow those with little cars over in Europe.

*Personally*, I believe that just because you CAN do something doesn't mean that you SHOULD. I would not (personally) tow a brenderup with any less than a 1/2 ton truck. Any other trailer, I wouldn't tow with any less than a 3/4 ton.

IMHO....

Brenderup= P.O.S!

Too flimsy, too light for stability, and NO ONE SHOULD tow with anything less than a REAL tow vehicle like a LARGE SUV, or Pick Up Truck.

If you have that little regard for your horse, you need to have a proffesional tow for you. Or stay home.

You only have to see what a fiberglass trailer looks like in even a minor fender bender, to know it won't protect your animal, or stay in one piece very long. YES, I have tried to tow with one!

Yes, It IS MY OPINION...and I have towed and driven trailers for almost 48 years, made a LOT of mistakes, and using a tiny car, and a squoozy P.O.S. trailer, is asking for trouble.

Oh my goodness. Here in Germany you see brenderups being hauled with Volkswagen Golfs! Some seriously tiny cars. Safe? Probably not but you sure see it alot.

I am still doing so reserch, but I think a brenderup is what I want. We have an f150 and fusion, somehow I get roped into taking the car most of the time. We've talked about trading it in for a smaller SUV...who knows. Thanks guys.

I saw a Brenderup being pulled by a full sized van a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure my little Dakota would have no problem pulling one, she has the horsepower and all to do so. I would LOVE to have a Brenderup, but alas I don't have the extra money to get one.

Everybody has to use a trailer & tow vehicle, that fits into their budget. As with any kind of towing good sense & caution have to be used. What I like, some else may not, but I'll support their right to make their own choices. PD

Edited by Peppers Dad

These trailers have been in the US for more than 20 years and I think in Europe since around 1960. If they were really so bad I think we would have heard about specifics. Being diff. than what we are used to does not make them bad or unsafe.

I really like the inertia breaking system that Brenderup uses which is speed and load sensitive. I also like that the trailer has a parking break that locks all four wheels in place.

Here is a review that was done some time ago.

http://www.mrtruck.net/qstour5.htm