Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Buck-Appaloosa

Horses And Frostbite?

11 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if horses can get frostbite in the winter? Of course I know people can and dogs can on their paw pads but I've never heard of it happening to horses and with the cold spell we're getting right now I am just curious. How would you treat frostbite in a horse and how is it prevented?

Others might need the info someday. Thanks

Not an issue for the most part. If anything gets frostbite it would be the ears of a young foal. It easily gets down to -50 here in the winter and none of the adult horses get frostbite. They have protective mechanisms for the most part in their legs to prevent frostbite. Their feet in cold weather will actually be colder then their body and that is completely normal.

My friend had a horse from canada and the tips of his ears are frostbitten.. there is also a pony around here that had severely frostbitten ears and the vet actually cut parts of her ears off and then shaped them to make new ears..

Her name has to do with her frostbite.. her little ears are actually pretty cute..

When I adopted my mustang there was a weany there that had the tops of both ears frostbitten off. He was from Cororado or Wyoming I think... Got adopted right away though because someone just loved those ears.

I almost bought a mare who lost the tips of her ears to frostbite, hence her name of 'Tippy'. A friend of mine has a horse that has no ears because of frostbite as a baby [Me Cry]

Foals (and calves) born in cold weather routinely lose the tips (and sometimes nearly the whole ear) due to frostbite. Mature animals seldom have any problems. When I lived in the mountains of Colorado, 'crop eared' horses and cattle were common.

Thanks everyone! Just had me curious with all of this extremely cold weather we've been getting, at least now I know it's possible. I learn something new all the time with horses.

They definitely can get frostbite on their ears as foals. Blue's mom was named "Stubby Blue" because her ears had been frostbitten.

Edited by BB Blue

lol! When I lived up in WI and I would go riding, when I would bring my horse in from outside I'd always put my gloves on his ears. He seemed to appreciate it, though my hands didn't as much. He was then the "barn moose" with my gloves looking like antlers. Everyone would get a kick out of him and he lived it up.

bwahahahahaha! I am SO putting my gloves on my horses ears and getting picture lol