Clippers

How Often Do I Need To Do A Coggins Test?

8 posts in this topic

I had my mare tested last year for an event and was wondering if it needed to be done yearly, or is one time good enough? Thanks!

Once a year is considered "normal" . Some places and shows require every 6 months however. If you have your horse at your own farm tho and never go anywhere, you do not have to test him at all unless you sell the horse or want to travel anywhere with him off your property as a rule. I do all mine once a year so we can go to shows and trail ride and camp.

I would call you state livestock and poultry commission coggins office and ask the rules for your state. Here in arkansas all horse owners must test once a year even if the horse was born on that property and will never leave it in it's entire life. In theory if the livestock and poulry dept. found out I had not tested my horses they could quarantine my place and fine me for not testing.

Thanks, I'll check for the states requirements, but I bet Missouri wants it to be done anytime you leave the property also. Thanks again.

One big reason to keep it up-to-date for your state requirements is in medical emergencies an equine hospital might not admit your horse without one. And true to most colics and other accidents, it never happens at the opportune time.

Every state has different regulations. Here in New York, we are required to have a coggins done every 2 yrs. So, I'd check with your state's Health Dept.

Here in Texas we have to renew them yearly, but that's if they are being hauled to market, or, to shows/events/parks...