Epona142

It's World Turtle Day!

34 posts in this topic

Today is World Turtle Day!! Turtles are amazing versatile creatures, inhabiting our forest, our ponds, our rivers, even our oceans. They are fascinating and wonderful creatures. I like turtles!

The purpose of World Turtle Day, May 23, sponsored yearly since 2000 by American Tortoise Rescue, is to bring attention to, and increase knowledge of and respect for, turtles and tortoises, and encourage human action to help them survive and thrive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Turtle_Day

I celebrate it with a picture of an Eastern Box Turtle (Terrapene carolina), the first pet I ever owned.

227059_1374217572949_1757120067_652181_2129239_n.jpg

Since then, I have kept and bred a large variety of turtle species. Therefor, World Turtle Day is an official Epona-Sanctioned Holiday.

Behind the Eastern Box as my favorite Aquatic Turtle and the species I have worked with most is the Stinkpot Turtle (Stenothernus oderus).

stinky1.jpg

DSCF0608.jpg

How do YOU plan on celebrating World Turtle Day?

Well...ummmm...I could celebrate and post a pic of my turtle...but I'm sure ya'll wouldn't want to view my turtle specimen... :questionicon::questionicon:

Why not? I would love to see the turtles of HC. Even a "plain" Red-Ear Slider can be a beloved friend and cherished pet.

LOL! I was teasing! Of course I shall post some pics of Miss Marie Anoinette! :wub: (Her name was originally Winston Napoleon Ceaser..but we discovered "he" was a "she"!)

Crap. If i try posting them right now I'll be late for work. I will snap some pics on my phone, upload them and put them on PB so I can post. I'll do that part of it while I'm at work! :yahoo:

Come on peoples, stop letting yourselves get worried about other things and celebrate the most important thing of all.

Turtles!

7325_1040696755137_1757120067_79649_7272303_n.jpg

sea-turtle.jpg

I don't think you can have kids and not have had at least ONE turtle. We had a whole passle of those red eared ones? what are they called? We also had a Desert Tortoise...had to get permission to have that one, they're protected.

I love turtles!

Ahh the Red-Eared Slider (Trachemys scripta elegans). Who HASN'T had one of those?

Of course, they've been bred and transported so much, they are now EVERYWHERE. A invasive species who often bring disease to native turtles.

Sold as tiny quarter sized pets, they so often are not kept in optimal conditions and die; those who live grow quite large and are sometimes regulated to tubs of dirty water or let loose in lakes and rivers.

Regardless, they are a beautiful species.

red-eared-slider-turtle-0026.jpg

red-eared_slider_310np.jpg

I want a Sulcata tortoise. I've had a basket load of red-eared sliders. Few box turtles. Had a snapping turtle for a while. It kinda showed up and wouldn't leave, so we fed it lol. One day he was just gone.

I've had Sulcata, aka African Spur Thigh Tortoises, back when we had the reptile rescue. We had to build a post enclosure for them and they eat a LOT and get so big!

They start so small and cute!

2755447321_bffc8997b3.jpg

And theeeennn...

img_39683.jpg

Keeping them and feeding them can be difficult! Incorrect nutrition and lighting can result in shell pyramiding and deficiencies. But they are awesome.

Egads!!!! Must have small yet giant turtle! I will name him Tiny!!! :wub: :wub:

Epona-I'm not sure but can YOU still buy turtles in pet stores under 4 inches? I know we can't here in MN, though I *can* order them online as hatchlings. I'm too scared to raise hatchlings yet as I'm still getting used to caring for Marie. She will be getting moved to her 55 gal enclosure as soon as the stand is built. She's currently only in a 25 or 30 gallon tank and I feel so badly because it is WAY to small for her. She's about 5 inches or so now I think. The 55 gal is almost too small but it will be a big upgrade from what she is in, and I figure it's better than the nasty dirty tank she was in, in the pet store. She still has a big enough basking area to fit her and swim room. Plus she runs around my room an in the yard to get exercise too. I kinda wanna get a kiddie pool for her to go in She is a spoiled turtle and has taken to enjoying exploring the back yard on hot summer days...oh and basking on the patio concrete B) She luffs the yard. :grin:

(all supervised of course. She has ninja abilities and can disappear rather quickly! :ph34r: :ph34r: )

Edited by spanish_walkin_wannabe

You can buy turtles under four inches for "educational purposes." :rolleye0014:

I honestly can't remember the last time I purchased a turtle though lol. They were all either rescues or adoptions.

Wow. Educational purposes? Scary. I was looking at incubators and stuff...and it seems WAY to complicated to me to try and even think of breeding my own. Speaking of...since you have lotsa turtle experience...

Since my RES is a female..when do they start laying eggs? Like I said, she's around 5 inches I think now? I can measure her when I get home tonight...but that won't be until 11...and what should I do about a "nesting area". I know some wont lay in the water and will retain them and it can make them very sick. I was t hinking of making a detachable one from her tank perhaps? :questionicon:

I'm apart of www.redearslider.com forums and I have learned lots about turtles...but sometimes it takes FOREVER to get answers.

Female redears may never lay eggs. But of course, it is advisable for them to have a nesting area regardless. I don't really advocate keeping adult large slider turtles in tanks, all of mine were in outdoor pools, and came inside during the winter and were put into brumation, or a type of hibernation.

I'm not sure how you would attach a laying area to a tank...something to think on!

Turtles honestly are not "easy" to keep. Youngsters MUST have the right kind of lighting and diet, or they will grow abnormal shells or die.

Some turtles and tortoises grow extremely large and need specialized housing.

Turtles are gross! Aquatic turtles need large tanks or ponds and need filters that are made for TWICE the amount of water their in.

Tortoises DIG. They cannot be kept in glass tanks and need a good diet, and even the best among us can have tortoises with pyramiding. They will often need to be manually soaked to stay hydrated and keep their digestive track moving.

I have to say box turtles are among the easier to keep. I prefer to keep them in outdoor enclosures (weather permitting), or you can create a "turtle table" which is very fun. They are terrestrial but love a little "bathtub" for soaking..and pooping.

But even with all of these challenges...I love chelonians; turtles and tortoises!

Turtles are amazing!!

There are brightly colored turtles and tortoises:

Web-Redfoot-Arrow-female-frontshot_.jpg

Some have amazing necks:

SnakeNeckedTurtle2.jpg

Some have amazing noses:

Australian%20Pig%20Nose%20Turtle%5B1%5D.JPG

Some have amazing shells:

YellowBoxTurtle-744919.JPG

Fresh Water:

TurtleSnappingHatchling02.jpg

Salt Water:

15387_turtle%203.jpg

Desert:

DesertTortoise.jpg

I could go on and on!

Epona- Someday, once I have my own place, she will be in an outdoor enclosure. I like those so much better! For now I can only make due with a tank sadly. :mecry: Right now her tank filter is rated for 40 or 50 gallons in her little tank. Her 55 gallon tank will be 100+ rated. I already have most of her accessories to set it up and my papa is making a really nice basking area. The top will have three windows, fully enclosed with inset lighting. All will be on timers. A new thermostat will be put into the tank to suit the water amount and I want a thermostat I can keep an eye on vs. automatics.. and there will be a "safe house" to hide all the tubing for the filter. She will have plants (not sure if I will go fake or real yet though) and a good 3 inches of nice fine aquarium sand. HATE rocks and that's what I have now making her basking area "natural". It will also have 2 fans for ventilation. OH! And I can't forget the "bubbler". She loves those things and loves floating with the bubbles pushing her up. lol!

It's going to be really nice and completely turtle friendly. Plus light enough for me to lift on and off for cleaning. The bottom of the stand has double door cabinets that will house the filter (it will be one of those nice external run ones since it's so large) and all the rest of her supplies, food, and crickets. I REALLY want my papa to install a mini fridge on the one side to house the cricket food and what-not...but I'm still working on that fact. LOL!

As for the nesting area, yeah, I'm not sure what we will do yet. I'm going to try and collect more ideas from the turtle forum. They have lots of cool set ups for nesting.

I think it will turn out really nice in the end. :grin: But I can't wait to build an outdoor set up some day! :yay::jump:

Edited by spanish_walkin_wannabe

I know you'll do your very best for your turtle, Spanish!!

World Turtle Day is drawing to a close. But for me, every day is a new day to appreciate these wonderful critters!

I am sorely tempted to set up a turtle table and get a pair of box turtles.

box_turtle_picture.jpg

bigstockphoto_box_turtle_1752088.jpg

SpiceWEB.jpg

box_turtle_0821.jpg

The picture of the little guy munching the strawberry has to be one of the best pics I've ever seen :D

We get snappers out of our ditch all the time......we are right by the Mississippi River.....

They scare me!!!!! I had one attack me in the road...I was just trying to move him out of the way so he wouldn't get run over...and he tried to EAT ME!!!!

I took a big stick and let him bite it then shuffle board flung him back into his ditch.... :bang_head::bang_head:

I guess he thought I was trying to take his piece of the road away from him.

When I was a little girl, I went to Bush Gardens and held a tiny tortoise and posed for a pic...then the thing wiggles his foot and scared the BEEJEBUZ out of me :shocked: ...and my mom got the pics....it is in my baby album....

Then, I tried to rescue another box turtle that came up onto a major street from the adjoining canal....I picked him up to put him back...and ...he....PEE'D ON ME!!!!!! :sick::crazy:

I don't think turtles regard me very fondly at all....

but I like this thread.... :wub:

Oh my Epona I had no idea you were a turtle girl! :notworthy:

Here's a pic of a tortoise I got to see with my niece and nephew:

2831901330_d607f019e7_z.jpg

:smileywavey:

I love this thread!

We used to see turtles all the time when we lived in Oklahoma, especially after it would rain. I still see them occasionally around here and have slammed on my brakes more than once just to keep from running one over.

My son had a box turtle for a while. He got loose and "ran away". We still find him every now and then in the back. Pretty cool to know its the same turtle.

Then he had a red ear slider. I gave it to a friend in Bama after my son died. The first week after he died I was feeding the turtle and wondering why he wasn't eating. Well, after about 5 days I figured it out when he jumped up and bit my finger!! My son had been hand feeding him so he didn't know he had to catch the food!