goldentoes

A Horrific Reminder...

16 posts in this topic

Yeah, I just don't even know what to say about this. I hope people learn from it.

my moms #1 barn rule! #2 is GO PUT BOOTS ON YOUR NOT RIDING IN THOSE!

What does that have to do with this story?

Let me rephrase this.. what does boots have to do with getting drug by a mule????

Edited by Eskielvr

What does that have to do with this story?

Let me rephrase this.. what does boots have to do with getting drug by a mule????

I think she was focusing more on her Mom's #1 rule being the same: do NOT tie yourself to an equine and the #2 rule was footwear.

Wow! What a horrific feeling as a parent or whom ever was looking after the child! I was sick to my stomach reading this! I am so horribly careful...do this and DON"T do that.

Why did the grandfather not see that the child tied it around her waist?

:mecry:

Another rule that probably seems wrong, but I enforce it with my daughter, who is little and not terribly strong yet.

If the horse takes off while you are leading, LET GO. I can chase down the stupid horse. I don't want her trying to hold on to him, burn her hand up, or worse.

That includes looping the lead around your neck, or around your hand. I've seen some awful things over the years.

or stepping on the loose rope as it trails behind the horse in an attempt to stop horse's forward progress and pick it up.

The rope NEVER gets picked up...the human usually does...HEAD OVER HEELS! :surrender:

Ask my mom how she knows that one. Boom! Flat out on her butt after stepping on the lead rope.

:mecry: so sad! Prayers for the little girl in heaven and for all her family and friends :angel3:

<snip>

Why did the grandfather not see that the child tied it around her waist?

:mecry:

My guess is that she jumped on the mule in halter and lead rope ... and didn't know what else to do with it. Maybe the grandfather wasn't 'horse savvy' and didn't realize, or maybe he didn't see that she'd tied it around her. Whatever the case ... it was a horrific accident.

.....or tying the rope to your person (be it a belt loop, your waist, wherever) could have been common practice with this family.

Whatever the case, I feel for the family. On the other hand I sincerely hope that 1.) they've learned something from this and 2.) didn't punish the mule.

Edited by rattusrat