Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tuff N Awesome

Pale Gums?

11 posts in this topic

I've noticed the past couple of days that my 6 year old geldings gums have been very pale. He acts fine, respiratory rate is a little high (which is normal for him, he has respiratory issues) and his temp has been steady at 99.9. He's eating and drinking well, lots of gut sounds I'm just stumped. I've never really paid close attention to his gum color before yesterday and the only reason I know he's pale is because I was looking at his teeth. If I hadn't checked I never would have known anything was up. Is this anything to worry about or should I just kind of let it go as him just having couple funky days? He was a little pinker yesterday evening when I checked (near normal actually) but is pale again this morning. Any input would be appreciated.

I was thinking about monitoring him until Monday and if no change, calling the vet and seeing about bloodwork. He is de-wormed regularly and the de-wormers are rotated. I unfortunately have no idea how long this has been going on for because I don't regularly check his gums. Just checked on him a bit ago and he was running and bucking and playing with my 2 y.o. mini.

Did he recently just have a big cold drink before you looked?

Not that I knew of. Yesterday was a possibility, but as soon as he came in today I checked him and he was pale, no drinking between walking in from the field and getting haltered and brought in. I've asked some other people about it and no one really seems to think it is an issue. He's been my problem child since I got him.

I'd get some bloodwork done and a fecal done to put your mind at rest. I've seen horses who were not parasite controlled (even tho they were dewormed regularly) and were loaded with them. There are high shedders of parasites and low shedders, so a fecal is the only way to go. :confused0024:

Are you sure his gums are paler than normal.easiest way to tell if he is anemic ,is to have a Hgb ans Hct. done

Once you know whether he is indeed anemic, would be the time to find out why

While blood loss is just one cause, as from migrating parasites, there are many other causes, such as low production of red cells, due to iron defficiency or bone marrow being replaced by malignant cells, or a hemolytic cause, like EIA

So, my first step would be to see if he truly is anemic,, then look for the cause

What about capillary refill time?

Edited by Smilie

Refill time is normal at less than 2 seconds. He is still pale today, so I'll be contacting the vet in the morning. Still eating, drinking, pooping, and everything else just normal. He has a recent negative coggins and I'm not sure where he would have gotten EIA from. He's in with 3 other horses and all are tested and negative. No new horses introduced, he's been with the same ones for months now.

Edited by OhSoCharismatic

Anemia doesn't necessarily mean EIA, just low hemoglobin for some reason. Good luck figuring out what's going on.

Checked everyone today, and the two 2 year olds were bright pink, and the 14 year old gelding and my guy were paler and the same color. Called the vet and she said to keep an eye on him for a few more days, that it could just be his natural color. I asked her about bloodwork and she said if he seemed off at all she would be more adamant about getting it done but being that he's perfectly fine otherwise she'll put money on it being his normal color.