Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marsbar21702

Feed Bag Totes

58 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

When Oz was helping me out with some sewing machine problems a couple of you asked me to put up pictures of the feed bag tote project I was working on. Here they are! Well 5. I have another 10 in partial construction stages behind me, and 50 bags (yes 50) in the basement that my mom's friend had been hoarding for one reason or another at home and showed up on my doorstep this morning...plus what Oz is sending me. I'll be busy for a while!

Totes_zps783af00d.jpeg

Front_zpsc1b25f2a.jpeg

Inside_zps33e41cd8.jpeg

Handle_zps65aa4366.jpeg

I have a few bags in my barn. I'll have to see about making me a couple for shopping.

They look great!

A number of states are considering banning those thin grocery store plastic bags and require people to bring their own.

That should increase demand for great bags like yours!

I wish Sienna's Integrity feed came in a plastic feed bag.

One quick thing, are you using a blunt or rounded needle in your sewing machine? Years ago, I sewed some kitchen & camping items with thick woven plastic. The tiny cuts from the sharp points of a regular sewing machine needle; made the seams rip apart.

Switching to needles for woven or polyester fabric solved the problem.

those area awesome!! Yes, I would think the demand of stuff like that would go through the roof if/when states and cities start banning plastic bags (which is a long time over due!!) so if you stock up on bags, then find out which cities have banned plastic bags and put ads on those city's CL...you could make some monies :)

I think Hawaii has already banned plastic bags...and I want so say San Fran and Portland as well!? I hope the ban becomes a much wider-spread thing, and soon!

Those are pretty cool!!! I have some bags I could convert or send to you, I will get them out.

Those are really cool!

As far as totes for grocery shopping, I heard on tv that they were warning about bacteria in those cloth totes like you can buy at walmart to put groceries in. If you get leakage from meat or something into the bag, and don't wash them, you could have problems.

I'm all for banning the plastic ones, though. I have tons of them.

I wash my bags, but I stocked up on the real, canvas ones when they were still cheap to buy. They are sturdy and wash up nicely.

Our neighbor lady worked on those for a while, but she couldn't find a market for them, but my wife bought a few. PD

I would think the feed bags could be sprayed or wiped out with a clorox wipe pretty easily!

I've been using the same 4 canvas totes for my grocery shopping for 20yrs. I was 'green' before green was cool. I wash my bags periodically but I prefer to bag meat and/or leaky-things in a plastic bag before placing them in my totes. My library re-uses plastic grocery bags to wrap books in to send back to other librarys and for patrons to carry large stacks of books out.

PD, I take them with me to swap meets with some other items such as reins that I make. They fly off the table at $5 a pop and that's money to me since the bags are free aside from a few I've had shipped to me. I've got a pretty good variety now, swap meets slack off after March and early April around here.

Do you have a pattern you use? Would you mind sharing? I'd like to make some for myself with my very unused sewing machine. Lol

Those are very cool! Wonderfully creative. I love the yellow one on the right :)

You should invest in an Etsy account. I personally would snatch a few of those up in a minute! Next project, burlap re-usable totes?

they sell for $8-50 on etsy...not many horsey themed ones that I can find from just a quick search...might be a good idea to throw some on etsy!! It costs you $0.20 to list an item...it's so easy to use...can receive payments from paypal, or can link your bank accnt to receive credit card payments. dooo it! ;)

Those are gorgeous! Well done. I agree that you should sell on etsy.

These are the bags I use: http://www.envirosax.com. They don't shrink when you wash them, they don't get dirty like canvas bags, and they're beautiful. I buy them on sale and have a ton of them.

My problem is that I'm so good at using them (like Heidi, I've been doing it for ages) that I run out of plastic bags for my kitchen garbage, etc.

Edited by Kina Kat

I was on a roll tonight until I ran out of thread! I'd picked some up from a different store and of a different brand and it's not the same at all - I wasn't going to risk a frustration attack.

I also have a small business birthed from a bunch of random events (that actually started here on HC when Jackie[######]? made a couple sets of reins and I was interested in a pair, showed the pictures to a local trainer/they were looking for something slightly different/we conspired and so my business was born - that's the nutshell anyway) that produces customer barrel racing/speed/gymkana tack - www.dnacustomtack.com - I saw these bags at a swap meet I was at in December and went "I bet I can make those!". After some more HC help and some tweaking, voila.

This is my basic pattern and the technique I use to make the straps

There is a part 2 if you need to see it, but it's not very long and I got the gist of where she was headed without part 2.

And this is where I got the square corners for putting bottoms in them - the youtube video is a flat tote.

http://communitychickens.blogspot.com/2012/06/diy-chicken-feed-sack-tote.html

That being said I don't measure the corners before I sew them - if you fold the bag like the blog says, you'll see where the "natural" side creases of the bag cut across the bottom - that's where I stitch, it uses the natural bag shape and I like that better. I hope that made sense.

To those who are interested in bags, I have a huge swap meet coming up on the 2nd of February that I'm making inventory for right now. I will lay out the bags I haven't made yet this weekend and post pictures, ya'll can call dibs on the ones you want and i'll set them aside for you and create the bags after the 2nd. I have a BUNCH of different horse feeds and a bunch of chicken feed bags too.

Re: pricing

I go by what I would honestly pay for something like this. It's cute, but if I've never seen them or used them I question it's durability and strength and frankly I'm a cheap-arse. I wouldn't pay half of what some of those folks on etsy are charging (and when swap meet season slows down will probably utilize etsy and undercut them ;-) )

1 for $7, 2 for $ 12, 3 for $15 plus shipping.

Those feedbags themselves are pretty durable...I used a ton of them to make a tarp one day when my porch was flooding...left em up for MONTHS (hinting at the house owner that she needed to fix the situation...she never got the hint. lol) and they were getting rained on/constant sunshine the entire time. The sewing construction will be the durability factor.

30416_397321643479_1368855_n.jpg