PeppySue

Texas People #6

2,882 posts in this topic

I like that!  You will, of course, show us your creation, when finished?   I like looking around for stuff, even if I don't find exactly what I'm looking for, the time spent with the hubby, is pretty nice.

I've never seen wallpaper over boards. That must have been some strange looking walls.

27 minutes ago, jubal said:

I've never seen wallpaper over boards. That must have been some strange looking walls.

Never been in an old farmhouse that hadn't been "remodeled" ? What do you think they did before sheetrock was invented? Not everyone could afford plaster. Really poor farmers used newspaper for wallpaper.

Edited by noponies

No, I've never seen that. It would be kinda bumpy, wouldn't it? I have seen just tongue and groove boards used. I would think if they couldn't afford plaster, they couldn't afford wallpaper either.

There was cheap wallpaper, and it covered the cracks to stop the drafts. If you couldn't afford cheap wallpaper, you used newspaper, or any other paper you could get hold of. Lots of people in the depression couldn't afford both plaster AND wallpaper.

And before that, plaster could be real hard to get, but you could mail wallpaper

And if they were really really poor, they used newspaper. Found 3 gobs of old gum on one of the boards and S&M forever with a heart and arrow penciled into the wood. Probably put that front and center where it can be seen.

After washing the door it's a pukey beige color, not something I can live with. Going to wire brush it then take the palm sander to distress it and reassess how to proceed. Be cool if I found a nice vintage color underneath. Really don't want to paint for time/labor sake and it requires a trip to town for chalk paint. 

Dogs found a new litter of kittens in the hay barn, Finns mommy, she's lousy at finding a safe place to give birth, these were in easy reach and Penny will kill them. I nailed a board over the entrance making them safe but she'll move then. 

Pretty sure one of the horses nailed Penny in the chest. She's pretty sore and if her swelling is not better by Monday I'll get her in to see the Vet. It's always something with this bunch!

Good morning! ☀️ 

Ya'll, I wish I could share with you the food we had at my daughter's yesterday. We had a shrimp boil with corn and red potatoes. Doug fried hush puppies and cat fish, I made pasta salad and Memphis style Cole slaw...so dang good! Picked up a peanut butter pie for dessert. I was so stuffed driving home I fell asleep. No wait...I wasn't driving! :D

Doug was finishing up a coat rack when we got there so he was in the mode to cut my wood. I showed him the pic of what I wanted, he measured the door and he knocked it out in about 20 min. He works for food so I must think of something amazing to feed him.

Paul ran to Home Depot and bought two turned posts for the front legs. Because I wanted a bottom shelf, we could not use the China legs from my bathroom sink. Oh well, I love the turned posts. Going to paint and distress them today.

When we got home, I was putting dogs/cat to bed in their room. Because of her swelling and soreness, Penny could not climb in her bed, so I tried lifting her onto it and she let out a horrific screech. Yikes! I put her down and tried again without hurting her, succeeded only in bursting the huge hematoma on her chest. I thought abscess at first but there was no pus, only blood.

Omg blood everywhere. I'm guessing probably a half cup or so in there. I squeezed out all I could, cleaned her up and put her in the kennel with her favorite blanky. She's still sleeping this morning, I brought up gauze and vet wrap from the tack room and I will wrap it to keep clean until I get her to the vet in the morning. This is becoming a habit I'm not particularly down with.

My potting bench gets assembled today :yay:

Edited by grimmie

Poor Penny, I hope she feels better soon.  I can't wait to see your potting station, it sounds like it will be a-door-able!

1 hour ago, Heidi n Q said:

Poor Penny, I hope she feels better soon.  I can't wait to see your potting station, it sounds like it will be a-door-able!

Heidi :notworthy: 

4 hours ago, Heidi n Q said:

Thankyou-thankyou-thankyou, I'll be here all week!

Hahahaha

Ta Da! Still have to put the shelf on the bottom. Both cats already checked it out, now I'm scared to put my nice pots out on it.

IMG_1645.thumb.JPG.97db2b9f2df1ba82dd0b8c7039e686a6.JPG

Thank you. I made a point to raise the height of the bench so I don't have to stoop...stooping kills my back and that's the part I hate about potting plants.

Oooh.....now I have to have one!  That is so cute!

I love it. Does it stand alone or do you have to have it anchored to a wall?

12 hours ago, Danyel said:

I love it. Does it stand alone or do you have to have it anchored to a wall?

Danyel, it stands alone. It's very sturdy.

Equi, it was easy to construct, the challenge was finding the materials.

11:15 spot at the Vets for Penny. I'm sure she will have to stay, be sedated and a drain put in because she has some pooling at her breastbone. She's eating drinking and pooping so I'm not too worried about her. 

The vet kept Penny overnight for observation. He thinks it was an abscess rather than a kick from a horse. He cleaned it and put in a drain. I can pick her up in the morning and she'll be on antibiotics for a few weeks. Tube comes out Friday which is good because we go camping Monday.

Good morning everyone. Well, it has been crazy around here. Thursday night, Penny pulled a few staples and opened the bottom of her wound. She was due to have the drain removed Friday AM anyway. They pulled the drain and re stapled her suture line. OY 

Paisley has a new habit of stepping through the bottom wire of the old line of fencing that isn't non climbing wire, three times this week! Last night she pulled back as I approached her and broke the wire! I can't leave her with a clear mind now. Only thing I can think to do is move the round pen to the hay barn so she'll have shelter and a Rd. bale and put her in it. But if she raises her leg high enough to get it over the bottom rail on a panel and pulls back, she'll likely break her leg.

Ya'll know about our nesting ducks on the front porch. Last night there was a ruckus out there so Paul opened the door to investigate. I heard him scream there's a copperhead in with the ducks and they're attacking it. I told him to shut the door so the nasty thing didn't get in the house. Thinking it was a copperhead he grabbed his pistol to shoot it but when I saw it I knew it was a chicken snake. Especially since it was in the box under the ducks obviously looking for eggs.

Let me tell ya, those ducks kicked that snakes butt! I watched him slither off the porch and he was torn up, he bled and defacated all over the porch and let me tell you...snake poo stinks! 

Paisley has a new habit of stepping through the bottom wire of the old line of fencing that isn't non climbing wire, three times this week! Last night she pulled back as I approached her and broke the wire! I can't leave her with a clear mind now. Only thing I can think to do is move the round pen to the hay barn so she'll have shelter and a Rd. bale and put her in it. But if she raises her leg high enough to get it over the bottom rail on a panel and pulls back, she'll likely break her leg.

Have you considered hobble training that one? :o

16 minutes ago, noponies said:

Have you considered hobble training that one? :o

Yes I did actually unfortunately, we are due to leave for a 5 day camping vacay on Monday. Doesn't leave me much of an option for now.

I don't know why they do that. The grass must taste better in the fence line. I had one that would use it to pull off his shoes.

59 minutes ago, jubal said:

I don't know why they do that. The grass must taste better in the fence line. I had one that would use it to pull off his shoes.

Right, especially since they have so much grass right now. Nope, there is no good reason for it except she must know I need a vacation! 

I swear I jinx myself, no kidding...last week it occurred to me it's been a long time since I got a jury summons. Boom, got one today! I filed an exemption, I lied but I'm not cancelling my vacation to sit in a jury room for 8 hrs.

Well we made it to the state park after getting a late start and dropping $100 on brake/fuse job at our local RV repair. We set up and I was inside putting stuff away, turned the kitchen water on and the center of the faucet blew a leak and flooded the counter and behind the stove. The cap has a crack. So now, we can't use the kitchen faucet and dishes have to be washed in the bathtub. 

I pleaded with Paul before we left the house to bring tools, my dad always brought tools. Did he? No and how he thinks he's going to fix anything without tools is beyond me.

Dogs didn't adjust at first. Thing is, they have never been on a leash. Gracie quickly got the hang of it but Penny still IMG_1664.thumb.JPG.ba581de80371188edb9d565409e50313.JPGIMG_1663.thumb.JPG.ad70454e2ec7b96780e0cef64919cfa2.JPGIMG_1665.thumb.JPG.ae8c115da3f3e23181259fd105064fc9.JPGhas no clue. There's time to work on her, nothing hot dogs can't fix.

We had a great time and we're already planning our next trip! RV'ing is very popular with retirees and their dogs lol. Never seen so many different dog breeds in my life! Weather was perfection! 

Our son came by our camp Thur. evening and spent the night on his way home from his job in west Tx.  He finally got power at his place so the AC is being installed Monday and new furniture comes on Tuesday. So excited for him. 

Was so proud of us, within an hour of getting home, we had the camper unloaded and all unpacked and put away. Just have a huge pile of bedding, towels, dog blankets and rugs to wash at my leisure and clean the camper. Have to run to the grocery store for a ham, we're doing our Easter tomorrow at Amanda's.

My son in law made this table for Amanda. Is he a keeper or what?!!

IMG_1676.thumb.JPG.bcd3647d9586d2c2e8eb2d05427f8e41.JPG

24 minutes ago, Heidi n Q said:

Wow!  That table is beautiful.  Is that a drawer in the center?  I love it!

Yes it's a drawer! My daughter uses quill pens to write and journal in leather bound hand made paper journals. This is her writing table. 

Jubal, we always tent camped too but I am done with that now. 

I love it's black legs.  Don't think me crazy ..... but the table reminds me of a Siamese Cat with its' tan body and black legs.