PeppySue

Texas People #6

2,972 posts in this topic

I was buying some hay at a feed store once. As the fellow threw it on the truck, dust came flying out of each bale. I stopped him and told him it was moldy. He asked me how I could tell because it didn't smell moldy. He was right. Maybe it was so old, it didn't smell like mold anymore. But you could sure tell it by the feel. It almost feels smooth like baby powder on your hands.

Never had a problem telling when hay is moldy. And you can imagine what I love about having my hay grower across the road. His round bales get moved inside his humongus metal barn within a few days of baling. Plus he discounts it for me. 

My farrier just told me he sold his home and is moving permanently to the Fredericksburg where he raises goats. Aggggg but he said his nephew is a farrier and he'd get in touch with me. This scares me, he's been our farrier for 25 yrs. and I've never had one complaint except for his butt crack... 

We made so much progress on my garden yesterday, I am stoked! I'll have before and after pics later this week. I found a place for the PVC arbor I got 3 yrs ago, it never fit into the rustic look I wanted for my garden. Still need to level and anchor it and find some climbing roses for it.

IMG_1699.thumb.JPG.4b3a4ac3a8dcb9365e54d74d3e207300.JPG

29 minutes ago, noponies said:

No fair talking crack without pics to prove it!

Lmbo now I wish I had snapped one!

^^^Please, no!

The arbor looks good there, QH. I can't wait to see your revamped garden. Maybe it'll inspire me to work on my overgrown one. I did the others last summer.

10 minutes ago, jubal said:

^^^Please, no!

The arbor looks good there, QH. I can't wait to see your revamped garden. Maybe it'll inspire me to work on my overgrown one. I did the others last summer.

I have a $20 solution for you on the weeds Jubal. Walmart baby...best $20 bucks I ever spent! Made by Ames. 

IMG_1702.thumb.JPG.2792b5e98ca93e6c8fd327259a0ff151.JPG

I have one of those. But they only work if the soil is fairly loose and you're pretty strong. I'm going to use the string trimmer first and then the tiller (if I ever get myself started.)

5 minutes ago, jubal said:

I have one of those. But they only work if the soil is fairly loose and you're pretty strong. I'm going to use the string trimmer first and then the tiller (if I ever get myself started.)

That's when you just have to go out and do it I guess. 

For me, like potato chips...it's picking one weed. I just ran it under a few stray weeds and uncovered dozens of earth worms, good sign for a garden but poor babies I cut them in half! Paul had to run to town for a new fuel line and filter for my tiller. Missing the coolest part of the day to till. Should do the trick, but if he can't get it running I'm hauling it up to my SIL. This garden will be ready to plant after  tonight.

If worms are cut in half, don't they grow into two worms?  Double the fishing bait!

That only works for flatworms. Earthworms and redworms just crap on your fingers and die.

17 hours ago, jubal said:

No, but it starts with sh too.

:notworthy::rotf:

Well dang, poor little fellas.

Sunday was a frustrating day. No tilling since all the parts for my tiller have to be ordered. Paul's sending the bill to the friend who borrowed it and left gas in it all winter! :bang_head:  

I painted the screen door that will replace the picket gate that's there now. Letting it dry well before I distress it. Always hated opening that picket gate and I love the sound of a screen door slamming shut. Paul set the arbor in quick set so it won't blow over. I would love some kind of climber on it.

Heading out this morning to go antiquing with my daughter. She found a gold brocade couch/chair/ottomat at the Habitat store of $50. She wants to go retro 60's in her spare room retreat so I'm going to help her look for accessories. Be a nice break for me. Adios

I've had an interesting morning. Went out to feed before my daughter got here so we could pick up her furniture. Just as it was dawning on me that I was minus one horse, I heard a nicker from our neighbors chicken yard and there stood Paisley, standing  beside their donkey. :duh: 

I got Paul out of bed to help me take the fence down so I could retrieve her. She truly does belong in a padded room. Still a mystery how she went over 3 ft. of critter wire (granted its old, rusty and sags) and under two strands of smooth wire on top with no knicks, rubs or cuts. We checked the entire line and I'm certain it's where she went through because she sacrificed some mane to the wire. We're going to bang in a t-post in the gap tonight and she won't be doing that again. It's the neighbors goat fence but we need to put a line of non climbing on our side like the rest of our fence.

Son had a job interview today for lease operator for another company which would allow him to move home from West Texas and work local to him. He said it went great and he should know if he gets it in a few days. He is due back to work tomorrow regardless. 

Another tap lesson this afternoon. I have had zero time to practice! 

18 hours ago, jubal said:

Uh oh. Was it a male donkey?

Nope thank the Lord but I have always wanted a mule! I'm kidding, I'm agin reckless and over breeding. We've bred once and made sure the filly went to a good home. Guy made her into a really good heeling horse.

I am taking it easy today, I may try and clean some. My mouth, well actually my jaw is still hurting me. I have several knots where he injected me and the temp crown aches when I eat. Don't think the temporary fits correctly. The tech did the final fit and I don't think she had much experience. I will make doubly sure my dentist does the permanent crown. 

My poor daughter, yesterday, someone stole her $1,000 Iphone out of her car (which she forgot to lock) when she went in a convience store. Had it 2 months. She reported it and tracked it. They had turned it off. Then last night, she got a call from the fool who bought it for $500!!! He had turned it on and got the message it had been stolen and her phone number. The police said it is extremely rare to retrieve a stolen phone. My hope is they can catch the *** who violated her vehicle to steal it.

We have a new family member on the way! After 3 1/2 years of trying, our daughter is expecting. I can't believe it's finally happening, we are beyond excited! It's been hard on her to have several friends become pregnant but she never begrudged them. They're telling the in laws today when they have their Mothers Day celebration. Think Pink!

QH,  Congratulations on your expected grandchild, & Best Wishes to your daughter & family, on this news.  Take Care.   PD

On 5/13/2017 at 9:42 AM, Danyel said:

Congratulations! What a great Mother's Day gift!

Danyel, I know, that's what my daughter said. 

Thank you PD, Jubal. Hope you're weekend has been fabulous so far. 

I have been redoing a little wash stand I've had forever. Finally found a harp back that was a perfect fit. It didn't have one but I have been on the lookout for the right size for a very long time. Intended to paint and distress it with the stand but someone had painstakingly applied a faux birds eye maple pattern on it and I didn't have the heart to cover it up. So I left it. I kind of love it. It's going to go in my English Cottage/TV room.

IMG_1732.JPG

Howdy! 

Daughter, hubby and grandson have their midwife consult tomorrow evening. They are planning a home birth. After being at my friend's home birth in February, I am excited for them to have that amazing experience. My SIL had to explain to his parents it was safe, they had some very antiquated ideas about it. For instance, they thought there was no pre natal care available with a home birth. :duh: sigh

My SIL's automotive class surprised him with this. Thought that was sweet of them. lol he's the short guy in the middle. This child has no hope for any kind of height...my daughter is 5'3".

IMG_1741.thumb.JPG.304d6420aa479e6a0871576ef7d77e0b.JPG

Well, I assumed I was going to work in the garden but it's raining. :(

On 5/8/2017 at 10:04 AM, grimmie said:

Paul set the arbor in quick set so it won't blow over. I would love some kind of climber on it.

Morning glory's are great climbers. 

They are considered a noxious weed in Iowa fields. They clog and smother everything. They can ruin an alfalfa field in a hurry.

That would be a good place for the Clematis, QH, as long as the roots are shaded.

15 hours ago, jubal said:

That would be a good place for the Clematis, QH, as long as the roots are shaded.

15 hours ago, noponies said:

Planting a rose bush next to clematis shades the roots well.

Thank you for the tips! I put the clematis in a medium sized pot until I can get the beds done. Making beds in our soil is a mammoth project, especially in the drier months. Need to call around for the best price for a load of organic medium or top soil first.

I got most of my garden planted yesterday. Dummy me forgot my back support for half the day and paid severely for it. Cannot stoop or bend for long without pain. I gave into it and went in thinking I would go back out and finish but I was done. Today it's raining. :(

Tomorrow is our Mother's Day dinner. Paul's sister is meeting us at the restaurant to celebrate her birthday. Son comes in tomorrow, he stayed two extra days and worked for a guy who needed to go home for his son's graduation. He is so over this job in W Tx., hates it there, misses his place! He hasn't heard about the other job but his inside guy said the HR wheels turn slowly and it would be 10-14 days which is Monday. Fingers crossed

Daughter had her first consult with her midwife last night. She so wants this home birth but has concerns about having developed pre eclampsia at the end of her son's pregnancy 16 years ago. I think she can control it with diet and exercise plus she meditates daily.

Enjoy the weekend!