Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LUVMYAQHA

Need Some Help Balancing Wry Hooves

40 posts in this topic

Ok, I "think" I've got it. Bit of a rigamorol. :unsure:

I click on your link to your Flickr account, which takes me there. I click on the 'share' feature and choose the BBCode. Copy and paste that, come back here and paste it into a reply, then right click and "save image as" for success. I also had to choose the pic size with the BBCode or else I ended up with a thumbnail. It's like when you give up your pics to both Photobucket and Flickr, all you get is a link and you don't own that picture anymore.

Will continue.....be back.....

Edited by missyclare

I'll wait for the new pics in order to stay on top of things. I think I can get them now. Some good heel shots will help me show you the balance. It looks pretty good. :smilie::yahoo:

I'm glad you figured out how to copy the pictures!!! I tried to post them here but they were tiny or I had one big one and the other ones were small.

Anyway got some new pictures. I think the frogs are looking great. I'm not sure what to do with the lateral toes on both fronts? Do I need to take height of the bottom or roll the outer edge more?

Also the toes look really long to me. Should I back them up more but than I would go behind the white line?

I can't wait to find out what you think.... hopefully I'm close now! Thanks again

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129141926@N08/16196423140/

Ok, here's a trial run on the Left Front.

See how the sides/quarters (from 10 o'clock back to the heel is straight and narrowing. The hoof looks like its curling in on the sides. The contracted heels and the straight shaped run to 10 o'clock is from past pull from the toe. Elimination of thrush helps bigtime. (frog healthier, heels separating and defining themselves, I see it) Sulcis still needs help. Widening the back of the hoof. The trim also helps to widen the hoof, (unfold the accordion, so to speak) The quarter walls are naturally thinner and the bevel should only take the outer half of the wall away. Preserve footprint. Getting that angle of wall dead even with sole and flat to ground, allows the back of the foot to expand, become wider and stronger. Yes, to the way you rasped it on the right side, just not so severely....obey the sole and don't sweat and question it....be confident with it...its what the horse wants at this time.

The toe is also tight to sole. Concentrate on continuing to strengthen the hoof in the back for now. The hoof won't look so toey when the heels are wider, lol!

Ok, here goes....

16387423021_307d53ae11_k.jpgLeft Front by missyclare, on Flickr

Yeah! Right here, no less! Its that BBCode designation when you share off of Flickr.

Edited by missyclare

16202854010_0d51595a2b_k.jpgRight Front Solar by missyclare, on Flickr

What is flat sole between the yellow and green lines is thin sole and the remaining toe wedge. Between 10 and 2 o'clock, the bevel leaves intact, the inner membrane against the sole and runs 45 degrees on out from there to promote a rounder shape from oval and relieves the pull from the toe/ stops pulling forward on the heels/ allows heels and frog to expand. Reversing the process that didn't happen overnight....so patience.

Cut your leading edge of bevel behind the white line and into sole and you start hurting the horse. Just study the bevel at the toe and see it 1/8" out from the sole line and following the sole line between 10 and 2.

I see your ground is fairly harsh and the hoof it is forging. I'd let this trim go for a couple of weeks, then check the bevel. Sometimes, when you back off, the hoof will come to you instead. Your ground makes for a positive outlook on this. Speaking of which, I like the toe wall height that you have. It's 1/16" above the sole...perfect and good for this ground. Don't take more toe than this. Then the bevel, well placed and obeying the sole also, Relieves the pull sooner, starting right at the bevel's leading edge. It's the wall height getting higher as it comes back from the toe..(quarters/both sides) See if you can maintain that toe wall height all the way back. It's the quarters that you need to be suspicious of. They have been jammed into the hoof and are now coming back down, so its more than simple growth.

Watch the coronary band go straight and relax at the quarters when weighted. That's flex coming back into his arches.

Edited by missyclare

Thank you for marking up the pictures. This helps so much because I know what I need to look at. I can see all the areas I still need to work on, which I didn't see before.

I fixed everything you pointed out on Wednesday. Last night I treated the frogs real quick and on the right front outside hoof, from the tip of the frog all the way down to the heels a big gap open up.

I'm assuming this means the outside heel opened up more!

I can't wait to see what changes will happen in the next couple of weeks.

I also noticed yesterday that my mare is not rope walking anymore...yeah

I'm so happy right now.

Thank you for everything you do!

Edited by LUVMYAQHA

Glad I could help...... :smilie:

Yes, definitely post pics again in the two weeks. Good luck! Tweek only if needed. Growth will talk to you. Pics before trim, especially.

If you look at the bottom of the gap, you should see the bar ramp with flat to ground surface. It will be dead on its base, coming straight up, right on the other side of the groove. All the high cliff material on the outside of the bar will quickly get its own ducks in order. What I suspect you have done (and can't assume without a pic) is to remove the "retaining wall effect" of excessive bar on the sole. In my dreams, the perfect hoof would have concavity, burgeoning frog, wall a hairline above sole all the way around, including the heel height and ramp defined the same way above sole down to its merge. A strong and flexible wish bone effect and yes, it does release the heels. The white line goes all the way around the heels and halfway down the ramp...its all connected and bar excess being pulled forward like everything else, taking again, along with a long toe, the heels with it. (inward/contraction) The back of the hoof folds up like an accordian, thrush prevails and speeds up the process of lost development. Make sense? Bars are mean because our horse don't move enough. They have to be worn out. They are a wondrous thing when they are ideal, but excessive?....you can pretty much point in any direction and I can tell you how excessive bar growth can hurt that hoof in that direction.

Edited by missyclare