Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chocomare

Ever Have A Horse's Hoof Rehab Make You Cry?

7 posts in this topic

I wish I had the photos to show you but you've all seen enough under-run/crushed heels to imagine it along with me.

Starting trimming a very plump paint mare 18 months ago. Poor mare couldn't handle any surface other than soft grass. Constant stone bruises from soft soles and the worst impacted heels & bars I've ever seen. Very obvious toe flare.

Gave my usual spiel: get her to lose 100 pounds, Keratex, get her moving more/exposed to different surfaces as tolerable, boots, have me out more often, etc. etc. And while they're the sweetest folks, they just wouldn't cooperate with me.

Yes, some progress was made, but those toes would always get away and take the heels right along with them. In a bit of frustration, I had to tell them "If you don't start listening to what I'm asking of you as we partner together for Dusty's benefit, she will always be lame and unrideable. If you ever hope to get her on the trail again, you've got to cooperate."

Apparently that sunk in because they've finally kept me on a firm 4-week trim cycle, got the mare moving, put her on Remission and it happened----the mare has improved DRAMATICALLY.

While I've been, little by little, coaxing those heels back with the side edge of the grinder, asking those tubules to stand up straight and get her landing properly, within the last 3 months, I've seen progress and the mare holding her trim. The trim I did 2 weeks ago saw victory and I had to sit on the ground and cry...happy tears.

I was thinking this mare's feet would never improve to where I knew they could if all parties were on the same sheet of music. I don't know what it was that finally got through to them, but I thank God it did. If this keeps up, I think she'll finally be truly sound by February. Will try to get some pics next go 'round.

:)

Sounds amazing!!! Hoping for the best for my guy, too! Although his issues are less about care than improper trimming until now.

How are the cracks in her hind feet doing these days? Are they starting to grow out?

Edited by missyclare

I go back on the 11th for another trim session. The one a month ago, it was too dark, cold & wet for me to get pics. I trimmed and raced back to my warm car. :D