Tozecat

Help Please Hole In Hoof Wall

8 posts in this topic

aca169ea-98bd-4028-97b2-e1fb068761b7_zps21aa4c5e-eefe-4c0d-ba43-4e77a6d5f6d8_zps

The horse is not lame, he is about ready for a trim. It's been about 4 weeks. In the summer tha's about as far as we can go between trims. I found this "hole" last evening while hosing him off. (Our heat index this time of year stays around 100.) I first thought it was an abcess that had broken through, but looking at the underside of the hoof I don't see much of a dirt line. If you are not in the southeast it may look like quite a bit, but here I fight a never ending battle with flares and separation. The ground here is loose sand, even the turf in the pasture cuts up 6 inches deep when they run on it. I am looking for any ideas on what I am dealing with here. We can't figure out what in his environment he could have hit that would cause the damage from the outside. Also, does anyone else think his toes are two forward?

2c5a3a57-26d1-4821-9d40-70ddd97500e5_zps

d36ee325-395f-45d4-b30b-b478fcba8007_zps

It looks like an abscess exit to me too. I don't see any flare. His feet look pretty darn good to me, but you need the opinion of someone like Missy Clare. It does look like his heels could come back some and a bevel on his toe wall would keep his toe from moving forward.

abscess blowout. Just watch for it when it's almost to the ground and trim/file accordingly.

Yup, once upon a time, it was an abscess that blew out thru the coronary band. Just keep to your four-week trim cycle, keeping the toe rolled. Once it hits the ground, it may go "splat," but just bevel it and go on your merry way :D

It looks like an abscess exit to me too. I don't see any flare. His feet look pretty darn good to me, but you need the opinion of someone like Missy Clare. It does look like his heels could come back some and a bevel on his toe wall would keep his toe from moving forward.

Agree, his heels are some long and run forward, but his toes much more so. Significant flaring there. Mapping where proper breakover should be according to ELPO guidelines will show you just how much toe is out there in frnt and causing all that flare. Moving his breakover back to where it wants to be will go VERY far to reducing the flares and (relatively minor) separation.

Greenhaven

Can you recommend a book or anything that would have the ELPO guidelines in it? Watching on YouTube is fascinating, but I sometimes feel the people doing the videos need a little schooling themselves. ;0

Thanks

Reading the works of Pete Ramey and Gene Ovnicek will get you really far. Gene has an excellent pair of videos that really are excellent.

Part 1:

Part 2: