ShamlessDQ

Ranch Vacations

5 posts in this topic

I think this is the best place to ask this.

I'm looking into doing a ranch vacation next year with my husband. We're fairly flexible on exactly what (We're open to roundup week, cattle drive or horse drive as well).

I am an experienced rider but seldom ride western.

My husband is competent, trained western, but doesn't ride as much as I do (so no "experienced rider weeks").

We're looking for something more "working ranch" than "adult summer camp." Unlimited riding would be awesome, places that don't let you lope without an instructors' certificate (Happened to me pony trekking in Wales - they literally wanted the same competence in riding as is required for a basic BHS certificate for permission to canter. Only time I've ever lied up my experience - I didn't mention the last time I jumped a 2'6 course was twenty years ago, because SHEESH, a 2'6 course to be allowed to canter on the trail?) Not interested in other activities (except something like going to watch a local rodeo or the like), not wanting a place full of kids.

Obviously there are a lot of places. So I'm hoping to narrow it down by snagging some personal recommendations.

Anyone know of any places they've been to, heard really good things about or even, heck, on this board worked at? US or Canada and we don't really care where it is. More interested in a good facility than location.

check out

www.equitours.com. it's the smorgasbord of horse back riding holidays. I used to sell these gigs (but that was quite a while ago) and went to visit a lot of the destinations so I could give clients personal feedback. it was always amazing to us that people would pay to work their buns off from early morning to evening and sleep in a bunkhouse.

costa rica is definitely a winner, and I did a horse drive in Wyoming where we didn't see another human being for a week. Missouri foxtrotters in Arizona is also wonderful, especially when you see some of the diverse countryside you ride through. and then there's always Africa...

Edited by nick

Search for dude ranches in Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana. When I used to go there, the people were very friendly and laid back. The scenery was spectacular.

I'm looking a bit more specific than that, Nick. I'm looking specifically for a working ranch or a horse/cattle drive in the US or Canada. Missouri Foxtrotters might be fun to consider for another time ;).

the people who run equitours are also ranchers and offer a variety of vacation options at their place.