Proud Dad

Our New President Elect

467 posts in this topic

I didn't vote for Donald Trump, but I do wish him well as he prepares to lead this country, as it will now seem like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders.  My hope is that we come together as a country, & much of back biting can put in the past, & that our congress & Senate, will remember they work for we the people, & not for the special interests.  Best Wishes. PD

Edited by Peppers Dad

major hick hack of his own making is that before he's even taken office he's announced plans to turn the management and ownership of all of his concerns to his three oldest children and his daughter's husband.  at the same time he plans to include all of them in one form or another in his cabinet.  this brings up the very real and present issue of conflict of interest "public vs private".    this must be addressed.  

edited to correct typos due to jet lag.  sunset in l.a. tonight was gorgeous though. 

Edited by nick

^^^ Don't Presidents appoint their friends to cabinet positions? I understand the conflict of interest issue but if the appointing of friends is allowed, I really don't see much difference for family, in that regard.  If this is something that cannot be done for legal reasons, I'm sure it will be addressed.  The President can nominate and appoint only with the Senate's advice and meets with their review and approval.  So there is already a check/balance in place for this.

friends and political allies (or even foes sometimes) yes.   family with interests in private business concerns no.  think about it,  your  kids might be look at a critical business deal, acquisition, etc (like a golf course potential piece of property) that might have a major impact on a nature reserve?    and they're part of your transition team, or even cabinet? 

???  I get that.  That's the whole conflict-of-interest thing and in my opinion, friends/family creates the same .... loyalties and desire to give them what they want, I shall say, that causes the issue in the first place.  

Isn't there a check already in place to catch these things with the Senate needing to review and approve appointees?  Otherwise I just see whinging over something that hasn't happened and most likely won't happen because the Senate is required to weigh-in and/or approve of those choices .... and if they do their job, they won't approve.  

although bobby kennedy was appointed under JFK, but they had no business concerns in which bobby had oversight.   

The senate has to approve cabinet choices and there is a law against appointing family members.

Then this appears to be a case of he can *say* whatever he wants and what he can actually *do* will be greatly different.  Stop letting him get a rise out of you.

although bobby kennedy was appointed under JFK, but they had no business concerns in which bobby had oversight.

Right. The law was passed after that.

Then this appears to be a case of he can *say* whatever he wants and what he can actually *do* will be greatly different.  Stop letting him get a rise out of you.

If that was directed at me, it doesn't. I thoroughly believe he'll never serve the whole term.

PD, if you take a closer look at his tax reform plans they currently only include reform on real estate, inheritance and corporate taxes and contain no incentives for philanthropy.    the gap between the rich and poor if this kind of thing is implemented will only become wider.

frankly as a person who seems to have "perfected" the art of tax evasion (guilliani called him "brilliant"), albeit legally, I have my doubts that he has all that much respect for people who actually do pay taxes.

nick, I'll be first to admit, I have very little knowledge of tax laws, & how they effect people. I started this post to try to give Trump the benefit of the doubt. Now Congress either bow to his every command, or they are going to do what they get paid for, & protect the rights of the American public, being willing to pass commonsense laws. Now I do know that common sense is often in short supply in DC, & can have a completely different meaning. But Trump no longer is own boss any more, & has 300 million of them, it is time for them to step up & say enough is enough, if need be.  PD

I appreciate the spirit of your post, but when one sees whom he his choosing to surround himself with it would seem he intends to remain true to the demeanor with which he conducted his campaign.   his advisors know the tax laws inside and out and from every possible angle.  he'll have some formidable architects for his new  tax reform.

he vowed to throw every republican who didn't endorse him under the bus.  seems he's a man who keeps his promises, at least in that sense.

Edited by nick

nick,  I appreciate what you are saying, you have a deeper understanding on issues, that I do respect.   I do know Trump has damaged alot relationships, if he has any hope of moving this country forward. This is no time to seek revenge, as he only has to look to Chris Christy, & see what it has done to him & New Jersey.  Trump can move this country forward if he wants, he has the ability with the help of congress, but they have to put country first & not party first.  This is last post I'll make on this thread, as I'm tired of politics, I have my own drama in life to deal with.   PD

Edited by Peppers Dad

I understand and appreciate what you are saying, PD and, you're right.

Everyone needs to realize nothing gets accomplished if people don't work together.

Regardless of whom you voted for, we're all in this together.

A lot of people who voted for Trump did so to keep another Clinton out of the White House, a lot of people who voted for Hillary, did so to keep Trump out. Not because they particularly liked either of them.

Same as when Obama was elected, people were sure the world would end and, here we are, still plugging along.

If we want this country to function, to continue to be the country we know and love, we have to work together and that means giving Trump the same chance obama was given.

"You" still don't have to like him, but he'll be there for at least the next 4 years, so, make the best of it......besides, the world isn't going to just, suddenly, fall apart.

^^^That's rich. for the last eight years you've been spouting hateful rhetoric about Obama and all Democrats and now that your candidate won, you want everyone to sing Kumbaya. Well sorry, Trump doesn't inspire Kumbaya.

Here's what you had to say when someone tried to post this same sentiment in 2008.

http://forums.horsecity.com/index.php?showtopic=47013069&page=2

^^^That's rich. for the last eight years you've been spouting hateful rhetoric about Obama and all Democrats and now that your candidate won, you want everyone to sing Kumbaya. Well sorry, Trump doesn't inspire Kumbaya.

Here's what you had to say when someone tried to post this same sentiment in 2008.

http://forums.horsecity.com/index.php?showtopic=47013069&page=2

I know what I said and, maybe I've learned something, like, it did me no good and, we're all still here, no real harm done.

Just trying to point out what PD is saying, no matter what, it does no good for the country to be devided..

I'm trying to be the bigger person here, but, you, like Nick, just want to continue with the arguing and nastiness.

It's no wonder most threads die and, no one wants to bother coming here anymore.

No matter the topic you and Nick both end it like this.

I'm gonna follow PD's lead, I have better things to do.

Edited by equicrzy

I voted independent to keep my vote from BOTH Clinton AND Trump.

As far as tunes changing?  That's what people do when things do/don't go their way! 

LOL  You watch; everyone who was offended at people saying Obummer will now cheerfully crow the moniker Drumpf.

"Let us neither express,nor cherish, any harsh feeling towards any citizen who, by his vote, has differed with us. Let us at all times remember that all American citizens are brothers of a common country, and should dwell together in bonds of fraternal feeling."

Abraham Lincoln

As I recall, Lincoln freed slaves. Trump wants to deport American Muslim citizens. Not much similarity there. Wait till Trump butts heads with the Republican congress. They're already trying to walk back his pronouncements.

I really don't believe Trump plans on deporting American Muslim citizens. I don't know where you read that!

I just thought this Lincoln quote was appropriate now. We need less haters! If any Muslim is here legality, how do suppose Trump will be able to deport them. Doesn't make sense!

Edited by Force

Trump never said he'd be deporting every Muslim living in the country, that's ludicrous.

He said, he'd delay entry to Muslims coming from known terrorist countries, until we knew who they were.

I don't know where that other came from, for one thing, if they're born here, where do people think he's gonna send them?

Illegal Muslims, as well as any other illegal entrant, I have no problem with him sending back.

equi, could you please put up the posts where you allege that I said "suck it up" eight years ago to you?   i'd love to see the rapper syntax.

now you'll ask why is this relevant.  one, two, three

because it's documented,  that's why.  audio and video. 

trump transition team is shaping up nicely for setting us all back around 30 years with regard to civil rights, marriage equality, environmental protection.   this is not a "hate" post so please, no labels, simply an observation on the track record of the appointees thus far. 

on another point, the potential conflicts of interest are mounting quickly.   what a can of worms.

major hick hack of his own making is that before he's even taken office he's announced plans to turn the management and ownership of all of his concerns to his three oldest children and his daughter's husband.  at the same time he plans to include all of them in one form or another in his cabinet.  this brings up the very real and present issue of conflict of interest "public vs private".    this must be addressed.  

He didn't  appoint  his children or  his daughter's husband.........

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/11/18/who-has-trump-appointed-his-cabinet-so-far/94075950/

Not to cabinet posts-to his transition team.   So far.

Edited by nick

I think I am still in shock. I was not a fan of either candidate though. I think the most upsetting thing about all of this for me has been influx of the alt-right. People I know that voted Trump have started to sound like white separatists/nationalists. How did we get here?