Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zenna3

Haven't been on in years

10 posts in this topic

Hey all, I used to check out the hoof board a lot a few years ago, and I simply haven't been on in a while. Life getting all complicated, lol. 

So first, I want to thank Missyclare, and Trinity and a few of the other folks who used to be regular on here for all their long suffering help and advice when I had a lot to learn. Of course I am still learning, but I have become pretty good at keeping my two horses trimmed and no lameness issues from bad trims since I took over. I have been trying to advise some friends too, that they should learn more and take care of their own horses' hooves. It really is rewarding.

If Missyclare will remember, I had a laminitic gelding whose feet were kind of a nightmare, and I have managed to keep him sound and comfortable even through his relapses. Of course, I am better at managing that too, so he never gets bad. he's 21 this year and that means I have been getting his barefoot trims in hand for 13 years!! Success! 

So just wanted to pop in and say hi and thanks! and if I remember, I'll try to post some pictures.

Christine

Glad to have you back!  The boards definitely experienced a dramatic slow-down but I have seen it slowly increase over the past year.  The more we all participate, the more lively it will become!  I think that is great that you've been able to keep your horses comfortable yourself.

Missy, I want to second the thanks for patiently explaining hoof trimming and care. It taught me enough to keep my horse sound for the last 8 or nine years.

Oh, I'm around. Funny how life will catch you up and carry you away. I keep checking in. I look at it, like we are all smarter these days and that's a good thing.

I also wish to thank you all for the appreciation, it's the best Christmas present ever! Really it is! There are certainly many peers around and I'm glad that I was able to help with what I can. I've been dissed so many times in my travels, but I don't care. I'm here for the horse. Here, still, I am home.

Actually, it seems that a lot of the forums are lean these days, that everyone has turned to Facebook, or something. That they may have found more agreeable niches in a smaller gathering. I believe Equisearch has pulled their forum altogether. The Chronicle is lively and well informed, but they do things differently and think differently, so I've decided to leave them alone, but I do go there to read and sometimes get frustrated. 

So, since we've created a kind of drop-in here, tell me, what's up with life these days? How are the hooves doing?

I've been busy lately, as Grandchildren are being born right, left and center and I find myself struggling to keep up with the "new occasions" that have doubled and  am learning to become a responsible Grandparent as well.

As for my hooves, lol! We're battling very icy conditions coating the whole hill that is my barn and barnyard. It is too large an area to deal with, so I must avoid it. As long as I've got an escape route, I'm good. Keeping their space enlarged and continuing to move, is the challenge. We've been going for walks (1 mile) down the driveway to stay loose and I've been wishing they made YaxTrax for horses, cause they certainly are a blessing to me. I'm tempted to take mine off and put them on a hoof as an experiment. They're completely stretchy, lol! The hay is grass hay, but is tending to loosen them up somewhat, so I doubled the yeast and things are better. Other than that, we're lazing in the sun and thinking about Missyclare. I have her pic on my start-up page and I don't think I'll ever take her off, no matter how many Grandchildren are born. I'll save the walls for that, lol!

Let's see, who else was around then....Ared Horse and Lyra, Cowgirl Up and Tubby, Versace, who was a long story, Flying Stars and Gunner, who I imagine is not so little anymore, J Mock, Lassie Lu, One Grey Horse and Moose, Ricky Sweet Smoke, Smiley, who is still around and very helpful, Rosie, This Is It, and ofcourse, special mention to Hero and Godsgirl, who we tried valiantly to save a horse with cancer and we both went thru a special kind of he**. 

Life goes on....just trying to make things the best they can be while we're around....

Edited by missyclare

Doing good in our personal circles in hopes the ripples of good spread wider.  You're doing great!  I don't trim my own horses, I don't have the strength, but I've certainly enjoyed reading along and learning.

Well, I spoke too soon in my post here. The week before Christmas, Jubal came up lame in both fronts. I kept him in for a few days and he didn't improve. I was worried about laminitis, so called the vet, even though there wasn't an undue amount of heat and I couldn't even find his digital pulse. Vet said no laminitis but bruised soles. Then he told me his soles should be hollowed out at the toe. Well, I knew better than that but kept my mouth shut. I wrapped him in diaper padding with icthamol. After a few days, he was better but not sound. And that's where we still are. At first, I figured he had a running fit on the frozen ground when I wasn't home. But now, I'm flummoxed. If he were just bruised, I'd think he should be sound by now. He also is drinking an inordinate amount of water, so I'm thinking Cushings. No other symptoms though. His haircoat is normal and he hasn't lost weight. What are the chances he'd founder from the challenge test for Cushings?

Life sure can change in a hurry, and of course, I have spent a lot of time working on keeping my horses sound. We have had some really wet conditions that made it next to impossible to keep my laminitic gelding from having issues every spring...and then in the fall he was having trouble for a couple of years. I swear I've read all the words off the internet about sugars in hay and grass. While it was frustrating trying to keep Ace comfy, I learned a lot about symptoms, timing and overall management. I think I can safely say I have a hoof obsession. lol I'm very lucky that my other gelding has incredibly good feet, as Ace's are a full time job!!

Yeah, it would be nice to hear from some of the old members here to see how they've been making out with trims...if they're still doing them and if they've converted others. :)

Jubal, I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your horse now. Hopefully the vet is simply overlooking something simple, and it resolves itself, or at least you figure out a treatment. How old is Jubal? I have no experience with Cushings, so I can't be of any help there.

Jubal, I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your horse now. Hopefully the vet is simply overlooking something simple, and it resolves itself, or at least you figure out a treatment. How old is Jubal? I have no experience with Cushings, so I can't be of any help there.

Jubal is coming 16, so right on time if he has Cushing's.

I too am having problems at the moment. Walter just came up lame in both fronts and is standing like a laminitic., but moreso, he is lifting his heels off the ground to relieve tension.  I have determined so far, that it is his ddfts that have been strained. It's very icy here and even though I have taken measures to avoid it, Murphy's Law rules anyway. A couple of winters ago, it was his sacroilliac that he threw out. That was a long term recovery/treatment of 7 months. I'm braced for the long term  in recovery also, with tendons involved. (sigh)

I also find it very discouraging to think of a vet being incorrect. The vet is my savior. I want him to be my savior. I've had my vet for 35 years, he is my friend/mentor. But in the sacro-illiac case, his advise caused a 3 month delay in diagnosis. His visit amounted to giving me heck for his heels being too short and a brewing abscess, which they were not and no abscess happened. Poor Wally went with his RH in the air 24/7 for two months while he investigated and was stuck on the abscess idea. I left him and called in a chiro and the healing began. Another time, it was his eye. 2 prescriptions later for eye drops, I left him and went to a homeopathic people doctor and his medication starting healing the second I applied it. Thank goodness eyes are universal!

Jubal, if there is any chance of founder from anything, I wouldn't even go there. Depends, if your horse is sensitive, it could be traumatic. If there ever was a time to say a flat no to the vet for something, this would be it for me, no hesitation.  It has largely been replaced by the ACTH + glucose + leptin test, that will give you the numbers you need without challenging anything.  Right now its just a suspicion, so just hang on for awhile and stay observant, see how the coat sheds in spring.  In the meantime, I would do the same things people with Cushings/IR horses do for treatment.  I don't want to go there, so I treat mine like they already are. Balance the diet and tighten it down in terms of Iron, sugar and starch. ((notice that I said iron first?) Stay on top of the trim and keep an eye on the hoof and move. Mine are not allowed to just have their hunger, they must earn it, whether it be through exercise or having to walk all over the place to find the hay that I spread far and wide. Their apple-a-day gets thrown a 100' and they are made to go fetch them...anything to make them move and earn.

Another thought is that too high protein will overwork the kidneys also.

Missy, he's still lame, but mostly in one foot. At times, they're both warm, but not for long. Sometimes, I can feel a digital pulse, but mostly not. He's been in the stall for a month now, with both feet wrapped. Today, I took a chance and put him out with his grazing muzzle which he wears  year round. Just as I thought, he reared and  bucked but didn't run much. I hope it didn't make things worse.Sometimes, he puts the one worse foot down and it seems to give way, sometimes not. Every few days, he's ravenously hungry and drinks 15 to 20 gallons of water. Other days his intake is normal and he eats his hay slowly. My next step is getting the worse foot x-rayed. I can't tell if both are affected or only the one. I'm worried about a cracked or chipped coffin bone. The main guy is gone until the end of the month, but surely someone there can x-ray and see a bone crack. They can draw blood for the ACTH test then. I won't let them do the challenge test.

I've tested his hay and it's low in sugar+starch and protein but pretty high in iron. I there anything I can do to counteract the iron?

Edited by jubal