Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oak's Mama

Anyone familiar with Hinnies?

108 posts in this topic

Look at pictures of Yemen, Somalia and the horrific drought.  The donkeys are the heros who show the way.  

2 hours ago, nick said:

nothing like a horse to teach a horse. 

most  people just don't get it with corrections and how harsh, quick and fair they have to be. 

as a person you have to be incredibly accomplished to do all of that as well as a horse or a donkey. 

Why is it not okay to NOT tie equines together if the person doesn't feel accomplished enough to keep everyone safe and prevent a wreck from occurring due to bad timing and/or inability to get to the release knot quick enough?

2 hours ago, nick said:

glad he did well for the trimmer but comfort him?  i don't think that's a concept familiar to donkeys. 

But it is a concept familiar to humans and there is nothing wrong with a person showing concern for their equine, as long as it keeps everyone calm.  I see no problem with it.

Thank you H&Q for interjecting common sense and intelligence.

"You're a retired schoolteacher right?  You never had to get a bunch of trail horses following one another, no matter what kind of an eejit is sitting up there.   That's what donkeys do, lead by example. "

Yes, I was a teacher. And I never tied my students together either. What's your point? And how do you know what I've had to do? If you look to donkeys for your example, that's on you. I'll get my examples from reputable horse trainers.

Edited by jubal

I blocked that eedjit, and you all keep quoting her......

I was able to put my hands on Dusty in the pasture! Woo Hoo! I still cannot take him by his halter but I was able to walk up to him as he was eating hay by my mare and for a few minutes rub his forelock and poll. When he had had enough he did not bolt as has been his usual mode he instead just turned his head and walked to the other side of the hay ring. :jump: I am one happy woman! 

This is GREAT progress!  You are doing such a good job with him.  He'll be trusting in you before you know it!

And the progress is STILL well, progressing! I went and spent some time in the pasture with the horses yesterday. Dusty (the hinny) was between Whisp and Gauge by the gate. I had just brought Gauge back to the pasture, so I still had him by his halter rubbing his head and giving him love before turning him out for the evening. Of course MY baby Whisp had to get in on the action. Dusty was right between them and allowed me to rub his muzzle for a few moments, he didn't turn and bolt, I didn't have to offer treats, no coaxing, and once he had his fill, he merely turned his head and walked away in a calm manner. He approached me again while I was running and playing a bit with Whisp after taking Gauges halter off, and stood and looked at me with a curious look. I stopped playing and just called to Whisp to follow me. We walked over to him, he stood still and I extended my hand, he sniffed it, stayed put and again allowed me a few moments of rubbing him on his muzzle. I am doing the HAPPY DANCE! 

Nice progress! Patience is the key with these guys. You being able to get your hands on him in the stall just opened the gates for trust to develop. 

So cool to read this! You go girl!

kdrown, Dusty is allowing me to rub his muzzle out in open pasture, to touch and stroke his head in OPEN PASTURE, and is eating from my hand! I have NOT asked more from him as I want him to be comfortable with me just giving him affection. He HAS seen the farrier 2X and did well. The true test will come next month when he has to have teeth floated and be checked by the vet for his 6 month check up. :/ BUT, so far so good. :) 

27 minutes ago, Oak's Mama said:

kdrown, Dusty is allowing me to rub his muzzle out in open pasture, to touch and stroke his head in OPEN PASTURE, and is eating from my hand! I have NOT asked more from him as I want him to be comfortable with me just giving him affection. He HAS seen the farrier 2X and did well. The true test will come next month when he has to have teeth floated and be checked by the vet for his 6 month check up. :/ BUT, so far so good. :) 

When I saw you had posted, I thought you probably were going to say you were riding him!

Jubal, LOL, no not riding him! I am still trying to get him to trust me 100% and to know that I mean ONLY good for him. He is still a bit skittish and leery of human contact but is coming around a little at the time. <3