Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pepperann

Florist Gloxinia aka sinningia speciosa

75 posts in this topic

Grow them the same as African violets.  My grandma had a green thumb for them.  As for where to find them might look at a larger florist shop.  I haven't seen gloxinia for a long time.  With Easter around the corner you might find some.

I've been keeping my eyes open. I have 2 that are going strong. But I need more!!!! I did find a couple last year in FL, but one didn't make the trip home and the other is looking pretty sad :( We'll see how it comes back after dormancy.

Just have to find the right window to put them in.  Also this seems silly but some plants need a friend.

My MIL gave me an African violet & it didn't look all that great but in a week it perked up.  Have it in a south window. 

You could probably order a plant online

3 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

Just have to find the right window to put them in.  Also this seems silly but some plants need a friend.

My MIL gave me an African violet & it didn't look all that great but in a week it perked up.  Have it in a south window. 

You could probably order a plant online

I have looked. I got a couple from Michigan Bulb, but other than that, they seem to be really hard to find.

I was really surprised when I started looking. I can get some seeds on Amazon, but I'm not set up to start seeds right now. Maybe next year :)

Yes, I can take leaf cuttings and get a clone of the original plant. I would like more colors though. 

I looked up starting by seed. Not complicated just need a good window, 4-6in pot, violet soil, little potting soil, bag to put pot in for creating a Terrarium 

I'd love to start some but my one south window is full of other plants.

Need a spider baby.  To think I thinned them out.  I'd love to have the the plant stand full of African violets.  Have to figure out what window to put the other plants in.  Oh don't mind the toilet the iron water broke a chain 2x 

IMG_20170228_143733.jpg

Violetbarn replied and said a couple of months. Apparently they are behind.

I was going to say they look very much like African violets. 

On 2/28/2017 at 11:58 AM, RailroadWoman said:

Grow them the same as African violets.  My grandma had a green thumb for them.  As for where to find them might look at a larger florist shop.  I haven't seen gloxinia for a long time.  With Easter around the corner you might find some.

Yes, I water carefully and keep a paper towel handy to blot the leaves if I need to. I have 6, but I need more!!!! :D

Ice cubes work really good for watering or a bottom water pot.

See now what you have done.  I want to move all the spider & other plants so I can have a rack full of African violets.  Looks like my bedroom will become a jungle of plants.

At one time my thumbs were really green.  Then I lost my green thumbs for a number of years, well looks like the are back.

I believe plants can't be rushed.  They feed off us just the same as pets.  Our efforts & time show in how well they grow.

So excited!!! I just found some on ebay! Fingers crossed

2 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

Seeds or plants?

Tubers that are ready to grow.

Everything I plant, dies (flowers). They start out so nice, but, eventually all I have are pots/planters with dried, brown twigs.

The only thing I have success with, are, evergreen trees/shrubs. I would LOVE some color in my yard! 

Misspoke......my lilac bush does well and, the daylilies...... hollyhocks and tulips do well, at first, then fizzle out.

Try tulips or daffodils for spring color. Marigolds and zinnias for summer. They are all pretty hardy and don't need much care.  I love to garden outside as well, but right now I'm not in a place to do that, so indoor plants it is.

You could also buy a broadcast wild flower mix.  Did that one year & had flowers coming up for year until they eventually died off.  Still get some flowers in odd places.

I think, it's a combination of our altitude and soil, that makes for poor growing.

Every year, I get new pots, potting soil and bulbs and bedding plants..... some things do come back every year, but, don't last long......most things just die outright.

But, every spring, I do it all again, just for those brief few months of prettiness.

1 hour ago, equicrzy said:

I think, it's a combination of our altitude and soil, that makes for poor growing.

Every year, I get new pots, potting soil and bulbs and bedding plants..... some things do come back every year, but, don't last long......most things just die outright.

But, every spring, I do it all again, just for those brief few months of prettiness.

You might me on to something there. My SIL lives outside of Boulder, CO, at 9500 feet. She can't grow anything either.

If it gets really cold where you are, you might try lifting the bulbs and storing them inside then re-planting in the spring.

Edited by pepperann

27 minutes ago, pepperann said:

You might me on to something there. My SIL lives outside of Boulder, CO, at 9500 feet. She can't grow anything either.

If it gets really cold where you are, you might try lifting the bulbs and storing them inside then re-planting in the spring.

She's at an even higher elevation, I'm at 7,200.

Can you find a site that will give you native flowering plants for your area?

I had a green thumb when I lived in CA but here everything dies from the heat. I water and water but the heat and wind just wilts everything. I do have a  short time with pretty flowers.