Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pepperann

Florist Gloxinia aka sinningia speciosa

75 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Danyel said:

I had a green thumb when I lived in CA but here everything dies from the heat. I water and water but the heat and wind just wilts everything. I do have a  short time with pretty flowers.

I had the same problem, when I was in Arizona. Couldn't keep anything alive during the summer.

I did have to end up putting in desert plants.  Some are quite pretty, actually.

Equicrzy, I do have one succulent growing and it does real well during the heat. Guess I need to look into desert plants.

A lot of desert plants flower......lantanas, Mexican coral bean are two that come to mind. I also had, red tipped agave. I managed to get rose bushes to grow, then, I heard they actually like the hot weather, just water a lot.

Some people call the Mexican coral bean, a bird of paradise, so, I'm not sure what the true name is.

Edited by equicrzy

Thank you, Equicrzy. I will look into the desert plants. I get so disappointed when everything starts drying up.

You can make a beautiful garden with just texture & color of the plants.  Use a variety.

So I ordered 4 tubers from a guy I found on FB. They should be here on Thursday. Hopefully they are as advertised. I'm getting excited!!

1 hour ago, RailroadWoman said:

Oh I sure hope you post pic's when they bloom.

I will!

So wish we had more south windows other than the one bathroom.  I could have a jungle.

Jungle's are awesome! The Gloxinia need bright, filtered light. I found a west or south window with a sheer curtain works really well.

They would do well in my one south window.  The run in shed blocks the direct light.  Do have a west window I've had good luck with. 

They would do well there! I'm getting my new ones from a guy I found on FB and followed to ebay. You can also get some from Michigan Bulb. Total once I get the new ones will be 10. I'll have to stop for a bit or hubby will think I'm nut's, lol.

I've been going gonzo with baby spider plants & my other plants have been looking great.  So now I'v been getting the plant bug again.  Will have to attempt more plants in my office.  The dragon tree and prayer plant have been doing very well.  Thought I was going to lose the prayer plant after most of it ended up thinning itself out.  It has started growing like crazy.

I find that my prayer plants die back every year, then grow like crazy.  I've got to collect the rest of my plants from my Mom, she's been plant sitting for the last 18 months while I was out of state. I picked up the Gloxinia, but nothing else. I have a couple of Jade's, prayer plants, aloe, a spider plant and an amaryllis. I'm going to have to get hubby to build me a plant shelf :)

Never had a prayer plant before.  This one have had for about three years.  Tooke it to the office & started growing great, noticed the pot needed more soil so took care of that.  Then the main branches just easily came out.  After that it had a whole bunch of new sprouts.

I have a big CH of house plant farming to do.  There is a corn plant needing a new pot.  Spider babies needing dirt, more babies needing starting.  I start my spider babies in small wine glasses the place the glasses on the window.

To think all my spiders came from a mother plant I couldn't deep alive.

Now  I want more African violets.  Should off to help my MIL split her violets.

14 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

Never had a prayer plant before.  This one have had for about three years.  Tooke it to the office & started growing great, noticed the pot needed more soil so took care of that.  Then the main branches just easily came out.  After that it had a whole bunch of new sprouts.

I have a big CH of house plant farming to do.  There is a corn plant needing a new pot.  Spider babies needing dirt, more babies needing starting.  I start my spider babies in small wine glasses the place the glasses on the window.

To think all my spiders came from a mother plant I couldn't deep alive.

Now  I want more African violets.  Should off to help my MIL split her violets.

Yes! Help MIL split her's. I can keep spider plants alive, but they never produce babies. 

I found a shelf in the closet not being used for anything, so I'm going to take and and place in front of the window for the rest of the plants. I've got to find a way to keep the cat out them though. She's murder on my plants if she can get to them. Thankfully none of them are toxic, but I'd like them to live, not be eaten by a cat, lol.

Edited by pepperann

I think the it depends on the spider plant.  As if you have a male or female.  Most of the babies I have started end up having babies.  To bad couldn't send you some in the mail.

Yeah, I don't think spider plant babies would ship very well :(

Wonder if got a good root base started then pack wet Spanish moss tie off with a baggie.  Ship in a small flat rate box in the summer.  You'd get it in a week or less & the plants should survive. Shipping is $7 could get a number of plants in one box.

16 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

Wonder if got a good root base started then pack wet Spanish moss tie off with a baggie.  Ship in a small flat rate box in the summer.  You'd get it in a week or less & the plants should survive. Shipping is $7 could get a number of plants in one box.

Interesting idea! We'll have to look into it a bit more once it warms up. Not to warm though, that might also cause issues. Maybe late April, early May??

Worth trying would only cost $7 to ship.  Heck that's less than buying a plant.

When you get it put in a glass of water in a south or west window.

The two in pots were started in water they already have babies.

Wine glass starters the the shelf one is in a jar the other a mug.  I leave them for some time until decide to put them in pots

IMG_20170316_183926.jpg

IMG_20170316_183949.jpg

IMG_20170316_184009.jpg

Yes! I did. I now have 11 gloxinias :) The EBay tubers all look great and have started growing. The one I brought back from FL also looks good. I'll try to get some photos in the next couple of days. We are super busy doing yard work. Today a load of pea gravel is being delivered for footing under a playground for DD.

I also collected my aloe and spider plants from my Mom. I'm not sure what she did to them, but the spider plant was almost dead and the aloe is going to bloom, lol.

Can't wait to see your plants.  My plants have taken off the past couple weeks.  Need to move them to a different spot so they can be enjoyed.

Here is a questions for you.  Would succulents go well in a house that holds humidity in the summer?  Wouldnt think they would do well.

47 minutes ago, noponies said:

I have never seen an aloe bloom. Will there be pictures?

Yes!

5 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

Here is a questions for you.  Would succulents go well in a house that holds humidity in the summer?  Wouldnt think they would do well.

Probably, just don't water them much.

I have a christmas cactus and a crown of thorns in a high humidity home. They do wonderfully