Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pepperann

Florist Gloxinia aka sinningia speciosa

75 posts in this topic

Our house in the summer is so bad that I hardly touch the watering can to my indoor plants.

Oh I love Christmas cactus but the sure can be picky on where they want to live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I discovered you have to mistreat the darn things to get them to bloom well. Let them get too big for the pot, keep them in the dark for a month and not water them. As soon as they have buds, bring them back to the light, feed and water them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, noponies said:

I discovered you have to mistreat the darn things to get them to bloom well. Let them get too big for the pot, keep them in the dark for a month and not water them. As soon as they have buds, bring them back to the light, feed and water them.

 

 Aaahh....... That's where I went wrong. My Christmas cactus died after several months of tender loving care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NoPonies apparently you have the right spot for yours.  My mom has one.  She had moved it around in the house to find the right spot.  Then for some reason she put it on top of her corner hutch. The thing grew like crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

NoPonies apparently you have the right spot for yours.  My mom has one.  She had moved it around in the house to find the right spot.  Then for some reason she put it on top of her corner hutch. The thing grew like crazy.

 I did pretty much the same thing. I put it in a bigger pot, thinking it needed more room, I moved it to different locations ...more sunny, less sunny....I gave it miracle grow. I think, it just didn't like me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, equicrzy said:

 I did pretty much the same thing. I put it in a bigger pot, thinking it needed more room, I moved it to different locations ...more sunny, less sunny....I gave it miracle grow. I think, it just didn't like me.

They need to be rootbound to bloom, and very little feeding, only just before they bloom. This one sits near a west window most of the time, in a spare room where there's little light for a month before I want it to bloom. I forced it for Valentines day this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mother used to put hers in the basement for a month before Christmas. Or was that the poinsettia? Both, probably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poinsettia need dark.  So if you do manage to keep on you would have to put it in a closet or a black garbage bag.  Problem with them is they can get white flies really bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blooming Aloe plant.  My Mom had it for the last 18 months. It was in a south window, in a plastic pot with Miracle Grow Cactus soil.

20170408_193706.jpg

20170507_191233.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Florist Gloxinia, several different ones. I'm not sure what all the blooms will look like. I'll update on that as well when they start blooming. The 1st photo is the plant I hauled across the country last August. I'm impressed and very pleased that it came back after hibernation.

20170507_191333.jpg

20170507_191349.jpg

 

20170507_191428.jpg

Edited by pepperann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hole jungle :)  I need a better window, or to install artificial lights. Some of the plants are much taller than they should be.

20170507_191318.jpg

20170507_191311.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your plants are looking good.  That aloe plant is huge. You should get some nice bloo.s on the glox.

Agree hard to find a nice plant stand. Mne are also getting to tall for the back toilet rack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

Your plants are looking good.  That aloe plant is huge. You should get some nice bloo.s on the glox.

Agree hard to find a nice plant stand. Mne are also getting to tall for the back toilet rack.

Yeah, I'm using a bakers rack and a funky shelf I found in the garage. Not a fan of either one as a plant stand. I'm going to get hubby to build something else at some point, but it is low on his list. 

He spent this last weekend putting up a wooden swing/slide/playhouse for our daughter, then next weekend he's going to build me a chicken house :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0