Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jubal

Heidi please

67 posts in this topic

Yes!  The Johnson's baby products for tangles was exactly what I was thinking for your kitty!

I hope you have great success with it for the calico girl.

Me too. I thought I'd lost her this afternoon. I turned the horse out and she skedaddled out of the barn and took off. But when I went back to bring him in and feed, she was back.

It won't be long before she associates your barn with safety and stays.  I love calicos and torties, I have my first two (sisters) finally.  I've only been waiting all my life for them!

I had one back in the 70's and 80's. She lived for nineteen years. This one looks a whole lot like her.

I hope she socializes quickly for you and is a good mouser.

New Kitty is now mat free, if a little bald in spots. I didn't even use the detangler. I just put a fine tooth dog comb under them and cut them little by little, as you suggested. Now I'm worried about what to feed her. I've been giving her dry kitten food free choice and (probably too much) canned meat twice a day. Since she was so skinny, should I feed her differently like a starved horse? I think she had diarrhea but I haven't witnessed it. She seems to have plenty of energy and her eyes look bright. Also, is self grooming natural to a cat? I haven't seen her do it.

When cats are struggling to survive, they don't groom.  Grooming will come after she feels better.  Unless she was starved down to where she could barely move, I'd feed her everything she'll eat until she comes up to a nice weight, then you can slack off, but she may self-regulate herself when she realizes the food will always be there and it won't disappear on her.  Right now, the canned meat is probably doing her the most good - nutrition and moisture that is easy to digest.  You may want to de-worm her from tapeworms soon.  Find a "praziquantel" ingredient tablet, that is the same ingredient in Droncit that we get from the vet at inflated prices.  Otherwise, everything you are describing about her sounds GREAT!  She's bright, alert and energetic.  All good things!  

Thanks, Heidi. It's great to have someone I can ask. I'll look for the wormer.

Crush the wormer & add it to moist food.  She'll really perk up.

Wonderful you were able to get the mats out

Jubal, you can get tapewormer that is a spot-on. It goes on  the cat's back like Frontline. It was around $18. from the vet. A lot easier than giving a cat a pill. My cats would not take a pill, even crushed in food.

Thanks, Danyel and RRW. I'll try a spot on  if the pill doesn't work. But I really don't trust them. I don't trust chemicals in general. But that's another story. She will have to go to the vet ultimately. But I want to wait until I see if she sticks around, and until she's stronger.

I do the wait-and-see thing, too.  How old do you think she is?

I think 3-4 months. It's hard to judge because she's all hair and could be stunted due to lack of food. I'd get a picture but my camera's memory card is full and I have to get a new one from Amazon. I hate to pay shipping on something that small.

Females are usually smaller and while kittens and young cats can stunt a bit from lack of food, in my experience, kitts and young cats can bounce back, regain and catch up their growth pretty quickly.  I would try to get her in for spaying before she reaches 5mo, certainly by 6mo, so she won't catch pregnant.  I utilize low cost spay/neuter clinics around me.  I hope there are clinics like that near you, too.

She's been sneezing periodically but no runny nose. Should I be worried?

Oh love her coloring.  Looks like smoke going through her fur.

I never worried about my barn cats with sneezing so long as their eyes were clear.

She is a BEAUTIFUL tortie!  Her long fur makes her tortoiseshell markings look so soft and blended.  Sneezing is okay if she is clear, you only have to worry if it won't stop and/or she develops drainage.  I think with her getting good and steady nutrition that she'll be just fine.  She looks very comfortable with you, is she a purr-machine?

She loves to be groomed. She waits very patiently until I finish the barn chores, then she leaves her safe space in the empty stall and comes out to be brushed. She even rolls over for her belly to be brushed. Then all of a sudden, the purring starts and she sounds like a little lawnmower.

Another milestone. She was grooming herself this afternoon! This cat is so smart. She already knows "stay," and the hand signal for it. It's important because Jubal would step right on her. He steps on me all the time.

Yaaaaaaaaay!  See?  She's feeling better already because of your care.  And she sounds super-smart, too.  My pets are taught verbal and non-verbal commands.  Really got into the non-verbal because of our deaf cat and our others have picked up on it.

The last thing I'm worried about is her lack of a chase instinct. She doesn't seem to have one. I've tried to coax her into chasing the cracker on a dressage whip and nothing. She needs to be a mouser, so I'm worried.

Is she still thin, or thin-ish?  She's just started self-grooming so that means she's feeling better, but she may be using the rest of her energy into putting on weight and recovering from skipped meals until she found you.  IMO, well-fed cats make the best mousers because they hunt for fun and not just to feed their hunger.  I think she'll pick up on playing more when she realizes she can play for fun and not have to do it (hunt) to survive.  My fosters have been the same way, especially if they were underweight and under-nourished when they came to me.  As their condition improved, so did their energy and play levels.