Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jubal

Heidi please

67 posts in this topic

Jubal, I had good luck with liquid cat medicine. Maybe you can see if something liquid is available and she wouldn't have to make the trip.

This cat is infuriating. I can get the pill in her mouth,  (she has jaws like an alligator) but no matter how long I hold her mouth closed, stroke her throat or blow on her nose, she won't swallow it. One time, I held her mouth closed until the pill turned to paste. That worked, but I hate to hold her that long. This morning, I smashed it and put it in a dropper with water. Most of it ended up on me and her. She even has a bit of medicine on her foot and she washes everywhere but there. It's been there for two days! So I guess if she gets well, it won't be because of the antibiotic. The vet said this stuff doesn't come in a liquid and Clavimox, which is the only ABX that does, is a different class of ABX and not recommended for IBS.

All that aside, she's very good. I guess she'll have to be a house cat if she's full grown. She only weighs 5 pounds and would be an easy target for Great Horned Owls, which I can hear most evenings. Not to mention, she shows no chase instinct. She mostly sleeps and asks to be brushed.

NP, I've dropped it in to the very back and then held her mouth closed. She can still move it to the front of her mouth with her mouth closed. A video on You Tube said when her tongue comes out, she's swallowed it. Wrong! She's even swallowed and then when I let go, out comes the pill. Cagey little devil!

You have to get it behind the root of the tongue where she can't push it. Back farther.

I am really MAD! Yesterday, the cat threw up a huge tapeworm. A month ago the vet said she had no worms. And she's had diarrhea every day since I brought her inside. For two weeks, she's been throwing up every day. And now the tapeworm. I took her in to the vet's office and fortunately, drew a different vet. He was very thorough and answered all my questions. He said to bring her back in two weeks for the second pill and ear mite medicine and he will give it free of charge. Fingers crossed, this will take care of the diarrhea and vomiting. Now I'm just hoping she doesn't get impacted from the die off of the worms. I'm exhausted taking care of this cat.

Whoooooo, you and this poor kitty have been put through the wringer!  I hope things get easier for you both.