Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wolfhaven

Annual Garden Thread

217 posts in this topic

Missing our annual garden talk.  It's been kind of spread out over different threads.

My quasi english garden fence and a few bushes will have to be moved after we did a survey last fall.  Ugh...  :bang_head:     Mrs. Wolf wants to extend the fence line and add another line to it.  Not moving the arbors.  Will have to reposition my bigger planter box again.  Unload six wheelbarrow loads of dirt, move it, refill...   again.   She mostly does the flowers and I do the veggies.  I have a few big, tall ceramic pots I'll plant a mix of pole beans, lettuce greens and maybe a squash plant in each.  My taller planter box will get carrots, bush beans and some lettuce.  My planter box with the trellis will get the cucumbers and squash.  They grow really well on a trellis and they stay clean and bug free.  Not a tomato fan but I may plant one or two varieties.  They usually end up on the counter at work.  

On my carport there's a couple hop plants that really grow.  I built a wood deck next to it and I'm looking at putting up an arbor and running the hops up and over the top.  Considering adding a few more to get a good covering.  Also have to design and build an arched entry gate to the house.  Looking at building a high planter box with a fold up top to act as a bar counter and place it next to my grilling deck that has a nice sunshade on it.  Haven't decided if I want to plant veggies or flowers in it.  

I have to clean out my garden. It's full of grape vines that we had to cut down because it was growing into the neighbors fence. I have no idea where I will put it all. I'm not totally sure what I am planting this year. Think I will give sugar snaps one more try. 

This is what I have done so far. I put weed cloth down and straw around all the tomato and pepper plants. Hopefully it will stay weed and grass free. The raised bed will be easy to take care of.

IMG_20170410_095135260_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170407_161937870.jpg

Can't plant yet, here, but I'm starting 3 different pepper varieties in the house.  I've never grown peppers from seed, so who knows how that'll work.  I'm trying for Serrano, hot Thai, and sweet banana.  The Serrano is great made into a chunky sauce with tequila in it, goes so well on eggs.  Thai will be made into a chili paste, and the banana will be canned.  If they grow. :P

She's a ramblin island girl.  Be surprised if the eggs and tequila aren't in a coconut with an umbrella...   :crazy:

Danyel, You'll need a bigger trellis for cucumbers.  They can really climb.  

5 minutes ago, wolfhaven said:

She's a ramblin island girl.  Be surprised if the eggs and tequila aren't in a coconut with an umbrella...   :crazy:

Danyel, You'll need a bigger trellis for cucumbers.  They can really climb.  

Thanks, Wolf. I've never grown cucumbers on a trellis. Have to put something else up. I think I have a tall narrow piece of cattle panel that would fit. 

After measuring I am not sure if I want my new beds 3 or 4ft out from the shed.  3ft would be easier to take care of 4ft would give more planting space yet more room for the weeds.  Have plenty of railroad ties laying around the farm to put in without having to take out the old beds.

As for the veggies trying to decide where to put my containers.  Found small plastic kiddie pools at General Dollar only $8 that would be great for container gardens. To keep them off the ground would just have to put them on a pallet.

Oh hubby tried to get me a tractor when bidding for MOW equipment this morning.  Sadly he didn't win the tractor but got a really nice tie crane.

Wolf smart thinking for starting the thread.

I can't grow anything edible, even tomatoes. Could  someone mail me leftovers?

Love this thread! I tried vegetable gardening for 3 years in our black land, some call it gumbo, finally gave up, it never breaks down no matter what you add to it. We also have what the locals call nut grass, it's the devils spawn and no matter how much you weed, it will consume your garden by summers end. So now I stick to pots and containers. I'm trying succulents for the first time excited to see how that goes.

We just finished up my potting bench project can't wait to decorate/use it. 

IMG_1646.thumb.JPG.3d28c463fb660dd81e24d4d5c0499017.JPG

Nice bench.

Built one for Mrs Wolf last year out of scrap wood I had laying in my shop.  She had me modify it a little, putting a shelf of each side so she can just sweep whatever spills off the side into a bucket.  The bottom shelf holds a couple cat litter buckets with lids for her good potting soil.  I think the buckets ruin the look but it is functional.  

Grimmie,  I love the bench. Potted geraniums would look great on the top shelf.

That potting bench is awesome! List time I had to re-pot some plants, I used the tail gate of my pickup, lol.

18 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

Grimmie,  I love the bench. Potted geraniums would look great on the top shelf.

Thank you. I LOVE geraniums and usually have a couple of pots. Tomorrow I'm going to start morning glories and plant succulent pots.

Wolf, the wife sounds practical like me. I got two little galvanized trash cans for my potting soil, I want to age them using a recipe someone told me about.

Pepperann I have done that too, I will try anything rather than have to stoop or bend over! But not no more! :D 

My old kitty has taken over my bench and thinks it's her personal roost! Smh

I have several trays of seeds in my green house right now. The weather has been so wonky here that stuff is just now starting to sprout in there. I plan on moving my green house to a different spot when I replace the railroad ties it sits on. The trees have grown to much where it is now so it isn't getting all the sun it should. Right now in there I have zucchini (regular and golden), three kinds of cucumber, spaghetti squash, pumpkin, peas, three kinds of tomatoes, watermelon, strawberries, bell peppers and a mix of different flowers. My pansy's started blooming in their pot so I am going to move them out the porch. 

I need to figure out where I am going to do my garden spot this year and get that tilled up. Don't usually plant outside till next month. I plan on doing corn, carrots, beets, beans, lettuce, and the green house starts. I wanna get a few more fruit trees at the huge plant sale next month as well. 

If have time to put out more pots radish, peas, sweet corn, cherry mators are on the menu.  Cucumber could be good.

I put down three different types of sweet pea flower on the sunny side of my house along with a few other annual seeds. Put in two 10 foot long rows of sugar snap peas in the vegetable garden. I will get another two in this weekend. That's all for now. I'm not sure sure how many those two rows will yield so it's better to have too much than not enough. 

I just noticed I have around 30 lily flowers coming up. It seems really early for that. I have 10 bulbs I have not planted yet not knowing there were already lilies planted. I'm going to have a good amount of cut flowers this summer. My hubby got me 60 gladiolus bulbs yesterday. These will be a first for me. 

Edited by TigerLilly

19 hours ago, TigerLilly said:

I put down three different types of sweet pea flower on the sunny side of my house along with a few other annual seeds. Put in two 10 foot long rows of sugar snap peas in the vegetable garden. I will get another two in this weekend. That's all for now. I'm not sure sure how many those two rows will yield so it's better to have too much than not enough. 

I love sweet peas, but I'm in the wrong zone to grow them. :( I'd love to see pics when they bloom. 

My dad always over planted so there would be enough for everyone meaning birds bugs and friends.

I decided to soak the morning glory seeds longer this time so they'd pop open and sprout (like I do when sprouting bean sprouts for my salads) so I am sure to have success this time around. Cannot wait until I have a trellis full of blooms.

I hope they make to bloom. I have not had good luck with them. This time I planted way more than I have before so I hope this year I get some. We also have much better soil at the property so maybe that will do the trick. 

I miss  the big  garden I  had. since I moved, I  only have tomatoes  cucumbers  made  a small area behind  my deck to grow those...I no longer  can or freeze.. Being just  two of u s now . .plus  I don't have  a    freezer anymore . I  have my tomatoes/cucumbers....

We're back home from 5 days of camping in The Tx. hill country. We finally made it to the the Texas Wildflower center in Fredericksburg. Wow I did not want to leave. Picked up a bag of Tx. wildflower blend to sow this Oct. Hope to see them blooming in the spring. Wanted so badly to bring home lavender plants but they were pricey, I can get some locally for less. Both area lavender farms were closed until the weekend so I couldn't check that off my bucket list. But I did find a lovely bunch of dried lavender and bar of amazing smelling lavender/vanilla soap.

My daughter took great care of my plants while we were gone. My morning glory starts are an inch high YAY!  

IMG_1671.thumb.JPG.1c9eb30e2060e8ea1cb66f241b6d1cbf.JPGIMG_1668.thumb.JPG.0261aeeaa8f54b6648b8219d6c8e52d2.JPG

^^California poppies, wish they grew in my zone.

IMG_1669.thumb.JPG.ec6ad62657bfd23f9d6c4e79277718c0.JPGIMG_1670.thumb.JPG.d2f0fefeb853e1e08be0a4797080f4bc.JPG

Gorgeous larkspur ^^

IMG_1672.thumb.JPG.9039b9e8695f10a2a27c4d0ba05aedbd.JPG

^^ loved the California poppies 

IMG_1673.thumb.JPG.409d03135d22ebc426c380967e4fe329.JPGIMG_1674.thumb.JPG.0dfc9f9b0dcfbcc52598316dbf16bed7.JPG

Local cactus blooms near Blanco State park where we camped. ^^

That larkspur is gorgeous. I'd love to have some but it's deadly to horses so I won't . I'm already fighting poison hemlock. I love lavender too, but it's been so wet the last few years, it has mostly died off. How much does it cost there, QH?

Jubal, a small 4" pot was just under $5. I can get a 4" pot for $2.97

I didn't know larkspur was poisonous! Hmmm...to dogs and cats too? I'd love it for my garden but I have two cats that practically live inside my fenced garden and do tend to nibble plants.

Edited by grimmie
Typo

1 hour ago, grimmie said:

Jubal, a small 4" pot was just under $5. I can get a 4" pot for $2.97

I didn't know larkspur was poisonous! Hmmm...to dogs and cats too? I'd love it for my garden but I have two cats that practically live inside my fenced garden and do tend to nibble plants.

Lavender was 6-7 dollars last year but demand was high because it died off the winter before. I don't know about larkspur with cats and dogs. My cat that died last year loved the flower garden. He would go around sniffing all the flowers but I never saw him eat any.

Checked the garden today.12 sugar snap peas plants are coming up so far. I would say that's a good start. One row seems to be doing better than the others though. I'm going to have to leave my gaurd cat outside to keep the bunnies and such out of them. 

Also, I have some plants that I need to identify so I will post some photos and let you guys try and take a stab at if if you like.

20170422_154425.jpg

20170422_154353.jpg

20170422_154501.jpg

20170422_154239.jpg

20170422_154310.jpg

20170422_154330.jpg

Edited by TigerLilly

21 hours ago, TigerLilly said:

.... I have some plants that I need to identify so I will post some photos and let you guys try and take a stab at if if you like.

20170422_154239.jpg

I think that may be an Agapanthus / Lily of the Nile.

In the first picture, the chartreuse one is Creeping Jenny, I think. It will spread and  it's called a weed, but I like it for a ground cover in the flower garden.

Second picture looks like maybe English Laurel.

Third picture, the leaves of the larger purple flower look like Columbine, so maybe a variety of that.

Fifth picture is some kind of lily I haven't seen before with a variety of Sedum behind it.

Sixth picture, looks like Purple Coneflower.

The little blue flowers are grecian windflowers. The tall yellow ones are imperial-something, can't think of the rest of the name. They also come in red.