Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wolfhaven

Annual Garden Thread

138 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, jubal said:

^^^Do you have a manure pile? Composted manure mixed in would help it.

I've been composting that area for 3 yrs. trying to improve the soil. And we've been scooping up around the round bales in the hay barn and letting it compost. There's a pile in the garden breaking down now. First thing we have to do is weed then line the walkway with limestone bricks to insure whatever we put down stays in. Back when we constructed it, I allowed some numbskull to talk me out of the bricks because they would trip people. She's not even a friend of mine now! This would be a non issue if I had just put the bricks down and back filled with good compost and top soil! Ugh!

What I need is some muscle. Hoping our grandson can give us a day next weekend so we can knock this out once and for all.

Keep NE Tx. In your thoughts and prayers. Tornados took 5 lives last night.

Edited by grimmie

I saw the tornado reports. I'm glad you weren't in the way.

I need some muscle too!

On 4/29/2017 at 3:18 PM, grimmie said:

I have a small tiller but, well...it's a long story. This area was a driveway before we built the house. So it was hard packed clay and recycled concrete. Before we put the fence up, we scraped a lot of it off, but digging/planting in it is still next to impossible! Took me a day to pickax holes for my rose beds. Only solution is to pull up the weed barrier, loosen the soil with a tiller then mix in a thick layer of good organic top soil then add more soil on top. It's the only thing I can think of to do.

You could build raised beds. I love mine!

3 hours ago, pepperann said:

Don't have to bend so far to weed, either

41 minutes ago, noponies said:

Don't have to bend so far to weed, either

3 hours ago, pepperann said:

Pepperann, noponies, that's my intent. We have an old corral fence that needs to come down, I want to use that planking to build wooden boxes for a few select veggies and herbs. But flowers are my first love so I want to fulfill the flower garden dream too.

Problem is, here in SE Tx., there are so many stumbling blocks in our way like poor soil, the garden location on top of the former rock driveway and evil fire ants and teeny raspberry ants (that eat everything) and love to make their home in mulch, bark etc. We don't want to encourage them to habitate up against the house where they can do damage. Raspberry ants are immune to poisons and can literally eat your home. Nothing a limitless budget and a few strong men can't accomplish...right!

16 minutes ago, grimmie said:

Pepperann, noponies, that's my intent. We have an old corral fence that needs to come down, I want to use that planking to build wooden boxes for a few select veggies and herbs. But flowers are my first love so I want to fulfill the flower garden dream too.

Problem is, here in SE Tx., there are so many stumbling blocks in our way like poor soil, the garden location on top of the former rock driveway and evil fire ants and teeny raspberry ants (that eat everything) and love to make their home in mulch, bark etc. We don't want to encourage them to habitate up against the house where they can do damage. Raspberry ants are immune to poisons and can literally eat your home. Nothing a limitless budget and a few strong men can't accomplish...right!

Flowers love raised beds too :) I had beautiful gladiolas in raised beds before moving.

Plant sunflowers away from where you want ants.  Read that the sunflower attracts ants.

Grimmie with living down south you could create a very nice potted flower garden.  Had a friend who had beautiful flower beds & to keep the mole from eating her expensive bulbs she submerged pails & old pots with drainage holes in the ground.  She then put the bulbs in pots.  Here up north our bulbs have to be in the ground. 

Great suggestions ya'll. And I've been noticing bulbs lately, must mean I need to plant a bulb bed.

I see sweet pea shoots! FIRST TIME EVER! My beans are starting to poke through as well. I'm going to clean out the other half of the veggie garden and do some summer squash and a few rose of sweet corn. Then I should be done. Except for the weeding and weeding and more weeding :crazy:

I had to dig up my hollyhocks and replant them in half barrels on the porch, because the rabbits wouldn't leave them alone. The seeds I planted, haven't come up yet, I'm not sure they will.

I have things growing, that I don't know what they are, tulips for sure, but, I can't remember the rest, I put the bulbs in the pots, the start of winter.

13 hours ago, equicrzy said:

I have things growing, that I don't know what they are, tulips for sure, but, I can't remember the rest, I put the bulbs in the pots, the start of winter.

Time will tell what they are. You and I both need to start writing things down so we don't have to rely on our memories.

TigerLilly, please post pics of your sweet peas, I love them so much! I wish they grew in my zone. My niece in California has them mixed into her huge veggie garden, I look forward to her IG account photos of them.

Id did broadcast seeds one year along my house.  I was pulling what figured was weeds when it was really the seeds I put in.  Number of plants werent pulled because I recognized the plant.

1 hour ago, grimmie said:

Time will tell what they are. You and I both need to start writing things down so we don't have to rely on our memories.

TigerLilly, please post pics of your sweet peas, I love them so much! I wish they grew in my zone. My niece in California has them mixed into her huge veggie garden, I look forward to her IG account photos of them.

The problem with that, is, I'd forget where I put the list .......I'd need to write myself a note, to remind myself where I put the list.....then, I'd lose the note...lol! 

Edited by equicrzy

I got 1 raised bed cleaned out. It only had grass 2 ft tall in it, lol.  1 more small one and then a 10x10 square to go.  I also started cutting the dead off of my trumpet vine and weedwacked the small lawn down. It had grass waist high :(

1 hour ago, equicrzy said:

The problem with that, is, I'd forget where I put the list .......I'd need to write myself a note, to remind myself where I put the list.....then, I'd lose the note...lol! 

Lol, exactly!

28 minutes ago, pepperann said:

I got 1 raised bed cleaned out. It only had grass 2 ft tall in it, lol.  1 more small one and then a 10x10 square to go.  I also started cutting the dead off of my trumpet vine and weedwacked the small lawn down. It had grass waist high :(

That sounds like progress to me. Just remind yourself that even professional gardens look awful in the Spring. 

I decided to pull up the weed control fabric because it didn't do the job anyway. Got one side done but then storms rolled in. I'll be able to till weeds under now with it gone.

Got the other small bed cleaned out and picked up some seeds yesterday. Then I saw the dog standing in the bed, grrrrr. Now I have to figure out how to keep him out before I can plant anything.

The dog will at least help plant potato seeds to China.

I have a rhubarb plant coming up & figure I'll attempt to make a bed for him so can grow better.  Yesterday mowed my lawn then brainstormed on putting in flower beds.  Sadly we are so blasted busy that it becomes an impossible accomplishment in the summer.

On 5/3/2017 at 1:43 PM, equicrzy said:

I have folders organized on my computer for photos, like one for plants, the house, the yard and sub-folders for ideas I'd like to implement in addition to individual folder for my pets.  I also keep organized word documents where I could list the order of my plants - I have rows of Daylilys and Camellias of varying colors and I wanted to keep track of what order I planted the colors and what their names were.

On 5/3/2017 at 3:05 PM, grimmie said:

I decided to pull up the weed control fabric because it didn't do the job anyway. Got one side done but then storms rolled in. I'll be able to till weeds under now with it gone.

Ugh, this concerns me.  I will be planting Gardenias, Jasmine and Blackberries and had planned to use weed-control fabric to keep their root area and their row clear so I wouldn't have to mow too close to the plants and they are too young to survive a weed-whacker. 

If you use Preen, once every 3 months in the growing season, you won't have much trouble with weeds. They make several types for veggies, fruit, etc

I'll look for Preen the next time I'm at the big box store or a lawn/garden store.  

Does anyone use Miracle-Gro for vegetables? I bought some today and now debating on it. I usually spread fertilizer and till it in before planting but that didn't happen this year.

I use Miracle-Gro for everything from houseplants to hedges. They make one for plants that need a more acid soil too, like azaleas. It works.

Thank you, Noponies. I'm going to give it a try. I know the raised bed will need it. It will deplete the nutrients fast.

I lost all ambition for riding a tiller quite a few years ago. If there isn't an easy way, I just can't do it any more.

Noponies, tillers will give you a ride! I felt like my shoulders were being dislocated!!