Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wolfhaven

Annual Garden Thread

187 posts in this topic

I bought 4 more bags of soil and added them this evening.  We are ready to put the plants in tomorrow but I work a full day and may not have the gumption to get it done.

I haven't even looked at my pots and raised planters.  The weather has just sucked and the ground isn't warming up enough.

Jubal - I sat through a talk with the Wisc. state bug guy was giving on garden bugs.  The japanese beetle isn't here yet but it's coming and he strongly suggested never using the traps.  The traps are designed to attract the beetles and you'll end up with more than if you don't use them.  Not looking forward to them arriving here.  Along with them there's a slow northward march of the earwigs.  Don't need either one here.  

I have this shrub next to my deck, actually I have 2 of them. It stinks to high heaven. In the afternoon it's stinking so bad I am just avoiding that side of the yard. It's like hot wet gym bag stink. Yack:mecry:

20170516_123219.jpg

It sure is pretty though. Wondering if it might also keep bugs at bay. Hoping someone can identify it for you.

Wolf, before I started using the traps, they came anyway and stripped the red things. They finally killed a red plum tree. I thought I could kill them before they laid eggs, but I guess not. A mole is tunneling in my yard now, getting grubs I guess. I hope he gets those beetle grubs. Anyway, I'm going to buy the netting this time.

Edited by jubal

1 hour ago, noponies said:

And you let them grow??

This is a new house. I had no idea they smelled bad but I think itshe just when the flowers are out. The shrub is called a viburnum. 

I thought that looked like viburnum! I've used them in pots all the time, didn't realize they would grow to that size. 

I picked up some heirloom tomatoes, squash, cucumbers and sweet red peppers and a jalapeño for my son yesterday, they're going in the ground today. 

I got another variation on my rose, same stem. It smelled so sweet! 

IMG_1740.thumb.JPG.8b2a09e049e137cab8b177ade1917ed3.JPG

What's the name of that rose, QH? I have one that has both orange and yellow roses on the same bush.

Oh your roses are beautiful.

Sure glad don't have anything planted or potted.  We are in the low 50's for a high temp the next 3-4 days.  Will wait will we come back from Canadian trip mid June before planting anything.  Plus that way I don't have to worry about having hubby water anything while we would be gone.

I picked lettuce, onions and radishes from the garden yesterday. We had a nice salad. This is the earliest I have eaten from the garden.

I picked up some more soil and compost for my raised bed yesterday. Today I'll finish getting them filled and plant my tomatoes. Hopefully I'll get chard, squash and cucumbers planted tomorrow.

On 5/18/2017 at 3:39 PM, pepperann said:

I picked up some more soil and compost for my raised bed yesterday. Today I'll finish getting them filled and plant my tomatoes. Hopefully I'll get chard, squash and cucumbers planted tomorrow.

Hope you had better luck planting than I have.

So much rain, I made no progress completing my garden since Saturday. Hoping we'll get enough sun today that I can till some tomorrow, make my rows and plant squash and cucumbers.

On 5/18/2017 at 11:21 AM, Danyel said:

I picked lettuce, onions and radishes from the garden yesterday. We had a nice salad. This is the earliest I have eaten from the garden.

Wow that's amazing! 

We had an inch of rain Sunday night and I found out something very helpful. If the ground is soft, you can thin Iris plants by just pulling them out of the ground, bulb and all. I always dug them before and then you have to clean all the  soil off the bulbs. This way, the soil stays put. It's making my flower garden cleanup a whole lot easier.

My favorite time to yarden and garden is in a light rain when the soil is soft and workable.  If I can do it after dark with a headlamp, that is also a plus.  

I remember pulling up some mis-matched hedges at the other house and then planting azaleas in their place one night after it had rained that day.  I had the truck out there, the halogen light stand and all my yard tools.  I was out there from 10pm to 1am and I remember a Sheriff car slowing down to take a look at what I was doing.  

That's kinda weird, Heidi.  :questionicon: The sheriff probably thought you took the advice "plant at the full moon" a little too seriously.

I got tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant in the ground. Still working on the squash, cucumbers and chard. It has been hot here the last couple of days, so I've been hiding in the house, lol.  I did get the baby chickens moved outside though. Thank goodness! They are messy critters.

3 hours ago, jubal said:

That's kinda weird, Heidi.  :questionicon: The sheriff probably thought you took the advice "plant at the full moon" a little too seriously.

I was kinda hoping he'd stop and ask what I was doing, just so he could look around and make sure I wasn't burying a BODY!  lolol

On 5/23/2017 at 4:49 PM, Heidi n Q said:

I was kinda hoping he'd stop and ask what I was doing, just so he could look around and make sure I wasn't burying a BODY!  lolol

:rotf:Yes that and I'm not sure why naked gardening day came to mind when I read your story. Is there something you aren't telling us?

We had rain earlier in the week so I was waiting for it to dry enough to till. I finally finished planting squash last night. :jump: 

Today hay gets spread to slow the weeds which have already showed their evil little heads.

As you spread your hay, you are also depositing grass and weed seeds.....you know?

Garden experts - how do I keep little ants from munching on my strawberries?!

1 hour ago, grimmie said:

:rotf:Yes that and I'm not sure why naked gardening day came to mind when I read your story. Is there something you aren't telling us?

I didn't know that was a thing until the day after I planted my garden.  Which is visible from the road.  So I'm glad I knew nothing about it and I bet my neighbors are glad, too.  Or maybe not, I don't know them very well.  0.o

So long as no body drives up to the farm more than gardening can be done naked at our place.  However the bugs will eat you up.

So my potted garden is turning iinto a good size project.  Going to put fabric down edged with ties then pea gravel.  We have a pile of pea gravel at the farm.  Just have to put the wheel barrow to use.  Also bought manuer to mix with top soil.  Lucky there is a mountain of nice top soil at the railroad.  Hubby will use the frontend loader to fill the truck.

Large kiddie pools have been purchased this afternoon.  Tomorrow they will be off loaded.

Hope they will do the trick.  Just might try & grow baby red tators in a old galvinized water tank.

With only 3 of us we only need to grow what's needed at the time.  Mostly it will be eaten by me.  However between one dog & two starving ponies it will not go to waste.

I still can't fathom buying manure! When you send the train for the DR trimmer, send a boxcar and I'll fill it up with manure.

Edited by jubal

Jubal  I won't put horse manure on the garden because the pile hasn't been sitting long enough.  Horse manure has to sit for about two years or it will fry your garden.

Had a former friend who started his pile but knew when it was started & what side to take from.  He had a beautiful garden.

Horse manure has to sit for about two years or it will fry your garden.

Sure glad no one ever told me that. I spent 25 years tilling the years supply into the garden every fall, and had spectacular gardens.

I have to agree with NP, RRW. I have a friend that spreads it on her pastures daily, straight from the stalls. And I put it on my roses without composting. If you turn your pile regularly, it will compost in about two months.

Went out to check the garden this morning. Everything seems to be growing well. I over crowded the garden box but the only thing that didn't grow well we're the radishes. I'll know better next year. 

Here are pictures I took today.

IMG_20170529_084628370.jpg

IMG_20170529_084558359.jpg