Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wolfhaven

Annual Garden Thread

217 posts in this topic

On 5/27/2017 at 11:56 AM, noponies said:

As you spread your hay, you are also depositing grass and weed seeds.....you know?

Normally I would agree, but this is almost totally composted, its at least two years old, nothing growing in it at all. Mulched the plants with the compost from the bottom this morning, spread the non composted material from the top for weed control. My veggie garden is done, now just have to maintain it and reap the benefits. Supposed to storm today but my plan is to mulch my roses this evening.

Danyel wow, can't wait for my garden to look like yours! :jump:

RRW, wish I had access to pea gravel! I've never priced it down here but been told it's pricey.

For whatever reason I cannot get watermelon to sprout. So I got three plants yesterday along with some herbs and put them in the ground with some bagged garden soil. 

I should have picked up some dark leafy veggies for the new buns we picked up. 

Off to go water

Watermelon likes sandy loam. Rich soil holds too much moisture and the seeds rot.

Well that makes sense as to why the seeds just vanished. So maybe I should not water them as often. 

Grimmie we have a contractor dump truck so our cost of materials is low cause we can haul it ourselves.  Biggest cost is hiring someone to haul.

There is pile of pea gravel already on the farm.  A friend had a camper on the farm & brought in a load of gravel then never did anything with it.  Camper is now gone & pile still stands.  So time with a shovel & cart it will be moved.  

I'd love to level my front yard & put in River Rock.  Get rid of the grass.  

I got chard, cucumbers and summer squash planted. I also installed a soaker hose and mulched my tomatoes, peppers and eggplants with straw. I should only have to water every couple of days now :)

I put a soaker hose in my rose bed and promptly chopped it in two with a hoe.:duh:

Woops! Were you able to repair it, or is it dead?

No hoeing in my garden. I have a nice raised bed, then straw mulch. Once I get it set up, it's relatively maintenance free till next season.

1 hour ago, pepperann said:

Woops! Were you able to repair it, or is it dead?

No hoeing in my garden. I have a nice raised bed, then straw mulch. Once I get it set up, it's relatively maintenance free till next season.

No, I don't think you can repair them, but I didn't try. I decided it was the wrong place for a soaker hose. Hoeing is faster than pulling weeds when you have a large area to do.

Edited by jubal

You can get the clamp things for busted hoses at the hardware store.  Fixed a few in the past as hoses don't do well with a mower.

23 hours ago, jubal said:

I put a soaker hose in my rose bed and promptly chopped it in two with a hoe.:duh:

Lol that must have been a chop for the record books Jubal. 

My husband is the worst, he's chopped up so many water hoses with his mower. Ugh!

Got yellow flowers on my tomatoes! :jump:

Soaker hoses aren't durable like garden hoses; at least mine wasn't. They're easy to damage.

2 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

Course they find it necessary to make garden hoses green.  :rolleye0014:

Mine are brown, but, so is the dirt, so, same situation.

Tomatoes anyone?? I counted 17 on one plant. I need to find recipes for sauce that can be frozen.

IMG_20170609_162243042.jpg

On 6/9/2017 at 2:28 PM, Danyel said:

Tomatoes anyone?? I counted 17 on one plant. I need to find recipes for sauce that can be frozen.

I wash the tomatoes, cut them in half or quarters, put them in a large pot and squish them a little to release some juice, then simmer till they are cooked down and thick. Then I run through a food mill or sauce maker to remove seeds, skins and stems. Cool, then place in freezer bags and freeze. I use 1 qt bags and put in 2 cups of sauce, squish the air out and freeze flat. It will keep for at least a year this way.

I do not season or salt my sauce when I'm making it.

Pepperann, thanks. I need to buy a new food mill. I tossed mine years ago.

Picked the first yellow squash today and found a tomato almost ready. My zucchini is not doing as well. The plants are big and healthy looking but they baby squash are shriveled and dieing. Does anyone know what is wrong?

IMG_20170618_172135082.jpg

IMG_20170618_172055584.jpg

Danyel, could be the weather conditions causing them to shrivel up.  Had pumpkins that the got a tad bigger than a golf ball then rotted.  Spoke with some others that planted pumpkins & had the same problem.

Sure glad I decided not to plant the veg pots.  My poor flower pots look like crap from all the rain & they were planted a week ago.  Tomorrow I'll put them on the porch.

I planted my watermelons in the raised bed with ammended soil and they didn't grow at all.  I read and they don't like that kind of soil so I transplanted them to the sandy dirt just outside the raised bed before I came to CA.  I hope they do better there.

Heidi, how is your Mom doing? I hope you have water baby melons when you get back home.

I got my first two morning glory blooms this morning! I am stoked! I tried twice before to start them with no luck. This time I soaked the seeds until they sprouted like I do when I'm sprouting bean sprouts for salads. Can't wait until it covers my fence with blooms! Brought some cut roses inside to brighten up my craft room.

IMG_1779.JPG

IMG_1780.JPG

Wow!  I love the saturated color of your glories!  I may need to find a spot at my place to see if I can get some to grow.

I've been here just over a week and I am beginning to see a trend towards more frequent agitation requiring calming medication.  She had an episode at 2am that Sister and I handled and again this morning about an hour ago.  She wound herself up, then said she couldn't breathe (because she was wound up), wouldn't listen to me suggestions for helping her calm down, became agitated all over again at seeing the medicine, started to calm down when I put it out of sight but then ramped up again and I let the nurse give it to her because she wasn't making sense - talking about pillows, wanting to get out of bed (she can't) and rattling off numbers that sounded like phone numbers.

It was an upsetting start to my day.  

22 minutes ago, Heidi n Q said:

Wow!  I love the saturated color of your glories!  I may need to find a spot at my place to see if I can get some to grow.

I've been here just over a week and I am beginning to see a trend towards more frequent agitation requiring calming medication.  She had an episode at 2am that Sister and I handled and again this morning about an hour ago.  She wound herself up, then said she couldn't breathe (because she was wound up), wouldn't listen to me suggestions for helping her calm down, became agitated all over again at seeing the medicine, started to calm down when I put it out of sight but then ramped up again and I let the nurse give it to her because she wasn't making sense - talking about pillows, wanting to get out of bed (she can't) and rattling off numbers that sounded like phone numbers.

It was an upsetting start to my day.  

Hugs to you Heidi. You are doing a good thing

It doesn't get easier, Heidi. But in the end, you'll be so glad you were there and did all you could.

QH, your morning glories are really pretty. My grandmother grew them on strings from the roof edge down to the porch railing, like a curtain. It was really pretty and shaded the porch. I had some wild ones growing on the fence when I moved here, but they've disappeared.

Looks like I used a filter on that photo but I didn't, it's just as I took it on my phone.

Heidi, she could be experiencing hallucinations. Goodness, when my husband was in ICU 5 months after his lung transplant, his were horrific! He's 2 1/2 yrs. out and I'm still trying to convince him none of that happened. Worst was convincing him the kids hadn't died, thank the Lord for FaceTime. I'm glad you have support, going it alone like I did was the hardest thing I've ever done. :huggy:

My mother had hallucinations too, but she had dementia. It was early on and she'd ask me who was that person sitting on the couch. Or she'd ask if the people upstairs had come down yet in the morning. One day, she said she was watching the kids playing ball next to my pasture. I tried to convince her there were no kids there, but when I looked out, there were kids next door and they were next to my pasture! LOL. Then later on, she knew me and my sisters by name, but she thought we were her sisters. Sometimes, you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Sister and I humor her and just play along.  It is easier, and keeps her calmer, than trying to convince her away from her reality.  

mom n heidi hands.jpg

Heidi, as hard as it is just play along with moment.  It makes it a bit less stressful for you and your mother.

Boy could you please fedex that bouquet of roses to my house.:D