Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wolfhaven

Annual Garden Thread

217 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2017 at 1:27 PM, Heidi n Q said:

Sister and I humor her and just play along.  It is easier, and keeps her calmer, than trying to convince her away from her reality.  

mom n heidi hands.jpg

You are exactly right. Trying to keep her in real time is counter productive and frustrating for everyone.

When Paul was having hallucinations and in some altered state from drugs, his brother insisted on reality checks. Ugh, no matter how many times I told him, he'd jump up, hover over his bed and correct him. I began to dread his visits.

Tonight, Mom wanted a damp washcloth so she could wash her husband's hand.  She was washing mine, but Sis and I just went along with it and distracted her with Gelato ice cream.

My zucchini are doing better. Picked 2 this morning.

This is a picture of my old wheelbarrow I plant every year.

IMG_20170624_085533867.jpg

Danyel, sure is looking good.

With our cooler weather & rain I am so glad didn't spend much money on flowers or veggies.  My two flower pot look so sick from all the rain & not much sun.

RR, thank you. I usually plant something more interesting but this year just the basic annuals. The wheelbarrow is rusted and propped up with rebar. Hopefully it will last a few more years.

Pretty flower planting, Danyel. I have an old wheelbarrow but I use it sometimes so can't plant in it.

Always thought it would be fun to put in a bathroom garden.  Clawfoot tub planter, toilet planter, pedestal sink planter all arranged nicely in the yard. 

Ya'll my plants are not thriving! I should have squash and cukes by now and all I have are the flowers. I am wracking my brain to figure out why! My tomatoes all got curly leaf and I pulled them. The only thing I can think of is...my cats have used the garden as a litter box. All my work and nothing to show for it!

Any ideas?

Grimmie, I've had trouble with both also. My squash are producing some but I should have a lot more. The cucumbers are pitiful. Our weather has been such a rollercoaster this year. It may be the problem. I will have a lot of tomatoes.

Look what I missed! It will be to big for frying but will be able to make zucchini bread. I couldn't really tell what it was at first. I even poked it with a stick! IMG_20170701_091324501.thumb.jpg.8068878590fb8f797915c872e2ffb500.jpg

Danyel, don't you just hate when that happens? That should make a cake and some bread!

Guess I spoke too soon, I found baby cucumbers tonight. I've been watering more than I was, maybe that's all they needed.

Grimmie, I had to throw the squash away. It was so hard, I couldn't cut into it. 

1 minute ago, Danyel said:

Grimmie, I had to throw the squash away. It was so hard, I couldn't cut into it. 

Well shoot. 

33 minutes ago, Danyel said:

You don't have a hacksaw?? :crazy:

@grimmie, yes,  make sure you water a lot. Especially if you have raised beds with loose, potting soil type dirt. Once they get dry, it takes a LOT of water to get them back. I use a soaker hose under straw in my raised beds.

On 7/5/2017 at 11:40 AM, pepperann said:

@grimmie, yes,  make sure you water a lot. Especially if you have raised beds with loose, potting soil type dirt. Once they get dry, it takes a LOT of water to get them back. I use a soaker hose under straw in my raised beds.

I was spot watering them every day with the wand. Now I'm deep soaking them. Oh and I gave them some fish emulsion for a boost like dad used to, I think they liked it.

Fish emulsion is the best!! My tomatoes are up to my chest (I'm 5 ft 9in) with fish and lots of water.

Usually when plant leaves yellow it has to do with the watering.  Is it the leave closer to the base of the plant?

Picked my first pepper today. The plants are big and healthy looking but the blossoms were dropping off. Hopefully with the hot weather they will produce. We have had an unusual rainy Spring and Summer.

Now I know what it means when the leaves turn yellow on a tomato plant. It means it's not long for this world. But the one tomato on it is ripening.

Last year my mom had mater's still growing with the plant plainly dead   The fruit will still ripen

My garden is going crazy! I have picked 4 summer squash in the last 4 days :) Peppers and eggplants are coming on. Tomatoes are almost taller than me with tons of flowers and some green maters.  Cucumbers are up to my chest on the trellis and there are tons of flowers.

Turtles are eating my tomatoes! They are munching on the lower ones! Box turtles plus I found a young Alligator Snapping turtle! I don't mind sharing but they are eating the nice large ones. Next year I'm laying landscape timbers around the garden. That should keep them out.

22 minutes ago, pepperann said:

My garden is going crazy! I have picked 4 summer squash in the last 4 days :) Peppers and eggplants are coming on. Tomatoes are almost taller than me with tons of flowers and some green maters.  Cucumbers are up to my chest on the trellis and there are tons of flowers.

Awesome! I glad someone is reaping the benefit of their hard work. It certainly isn't me...:surrender:

I finally have squash. :jump:

Next year, I'm planting a cut flower garden. My niece in Cali did one this year and I wish you could see her sweet peas, dahlias and zinnias. She's selling bouquets and because of the demand, started a little business. She's so talented! Of course with my limited space, I just want cut flowers for myself. 

2 hours ago, grimmie said:

Awesome! I glad someone is reaping the benefit of their hard work. It certainly isn't me...:surrender:

I finally have squash. :jump:

Next year, I'm planting a cut flower garden. My niece in Cali did one this year and I wish you could see her sweet peas, dahlias and zinnias. She's selling bouquets and because of the demand, started a little business. She's so talented! Of course with my limited space, I just want cut flowers for myself. 

I'm sorry your garden slow. I thought mine would never take off, but once it stopped raining and the sun finally made it appearance, things have been going crazy.

On 7/14/2017 at 11:10 AM, pepperann said:

I'm sorry your garden slow. I thought mine would never take off, but once it stopped raining and the sun finally made it appearance, things have been going crazy.

Same here pepperann. The entire veggie side of the garden is covered in squash, zucchini and cucumber vines. 

Storming hard, so I started painting my craft room. Loving the color so far, Sherwinn Williams sea salt. Lights are flickering, I'll paint in the dark if I have to, this is getting done today!

well there went the lights...no..they're back on! :jump:

Edited by grimmie