Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nick

macron wins in france by a landslide

37 posts in this topic

December 2015, Obama signed a law placing limited restrictions on travelers to/from these specific countries; Iran, Iraq, Sudan and Syria with Libya, Somalia and Yeman added to the list later.  Trump's ban took Obama's list a step further by adding a period of 3-4mo to the process.  Why no outcry for Obama not listing UAE or Egypt?

There was no outcry because Obama's order did not outright ban travelers from those countries. He just made it harder to obtain visas and did away with entry without a visa.   http://www.snopes.com/trump-immigration-order-obama/

7 hours ago, nick said:

Really?  I can "fool this membership".   You think that I think HC members are that dumb"?   I don't think so.  

I don't think the membership is dumb at all, which is why I said this:

8 hours ago, Heidi n Q said:

You are trying to fool this membership, or anyone else you speak with, into thinking you use Drumpf "because it is his heritage as a family name" when in fact you are using it as a deliberate slur.  

Trying.  And failing.

4 hours ago, jubal said:

December 2015, Obama signed a law placing limited restrictions on travelers to/from these specific countries; Iran, Iraq, Sudan and Syria with Libya, Somalia and Yeman added to the list later.  Trump's ban took Obama's list a step further by adding a period of 3-4mo to the process.  Why no outcry for Obama not listing UAE or Egypt?

There was no outcry because Obama's order did not outright ban travelers from those countries. He just made it harder to obtain visas and did away with entry without a visa.   http://www.snopes.com/trump-immigration-order-obama/

I think what Trump did was wrong and it caused untold grief and duress.  My question was specifically about UAE and Egypt not being in either list.  If Obama thought it was okay to not include those countries, for whatever reasons, I am not understanding why people are now outraged that Trump hasn't included them and are scathingly attributing it to his business interests in those countries.

17 hours ago, Heidi n Q said:

I think what Trump did was wrong and it caused untold grief and duress.  My question was specifically about UAE and Egypt not being in either list.  If Obama thought it was okay to not include those countries, for whatever reasons, I am not understanding why people are now outraged that Trump hasn't included them and are scathingly attributing it to his business interests in those countries.

I think the reason Obama wasn't criticized was because he only made it harder for immigration from those countries. If he had banned all Muslims from those countries, then I think he would have been criticized for not including Saudi Arabia and UAE. If Trump had only made it more difficult to obtain visas and made entry vetting more rigorous, there probably wouldn't have been the outcry. His move was totally to play to the bigots who were among his voters. Otherwise, he would definitely have included Saudi Arabia where most of the 911 terrorists were from.

4 hours ago, jubal said:

I think the reason Obama wasn't criticized was because he only made it harder for immigration from those countries. If he had banned all Muslims from those countries, then I think he would have been criticized for not including Saudi Arabia and UAE. If Trump had only made it more difficult to obtain visas and made entry vetting more rigorous, there probably wouldn't have been the outcry. His move was totally to play to the bigots who were among his voters. Otherwise, he would definitely have included Saudi Arabia where most of the 911 terrorists were from.

I totally agree with what you've said.  It was a real d*ck move on his part.  Not all muslim people are extremists as the terrorists appeared to be.  Many, many more are peaceful and also denounced what their countrymen did.